PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

4th and 5th Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.
If both Ebner and Wilson make the 53 I could see Allen making the roster. Maybe Ihedigbo, maybe Cole - not Barrett or Brown

After last year, I don't know if we want that much inexperience one inevitable Chung injury from starting in the secondary.

Mark Chmura played for Frontier in Deerfield (Yes there is a town called that in Mass. for all those geo-politically challenged E. Mass folks).

How could anyone not have heard of Deerfield? :rolleyes:

One of my childhood friends moved there when we were like 10. Funny to hear that someone from that tiny, rural place turned into a Pro Bowler.

1704 ~ The DeerField Massacre​

No Punch Line, Gents. :eek:

That was some horrific schytte...right here in Massachusetts.

Since it's imperative to have at least 3 of them taking significant reps each game, I'm not super-happy with the idea of having only 4 overall.
Hightower has the potential to play outside linebacker in a 3-4 defensive alignment.

IMHO, we could field just about any style of defense with 19 of the 21. I just don't see huge contributions from Dennard and Ebner as position players. Ebner is getting good press. If he is a top Ster, he has a spot on the team.

I like Cole instead of Dennard.

I expect that if we keep Ebner as a STER, it will be at the expense of the 16th Front Seven player, that LB/ST player like Koutovides or Tarpinian. I would then expect us to keep a backup safety like Ihedigbo. Chung simply cannot be counted on to play for a full year.

Yep, I like the flexibility as well as the talent level. With those 21 players, you could field just about any style of defense BB can dream up.

I have a feeling that Cole could slip into the CB roster, too. He seems to offer the best balance of ST impact and actual DB skills.

Last edited:
How could anyone not have heard of Deerfield? :rolleyes:

One of my childhood friends moved there when we were like 10. Funny to hear that someone from that tiny, rural place turned into a Pro Bowler.

Franklin County, where the NFl goes when it needs tight ends:

Jean Fugett

Jean Schloss Fugett Jr. (twitter: @jeanfugett)

Position: TE
Height: 6-3 Weight: 225 lbs.

Born: December 16, 1951 in Baltimore, MD (Age 60)
College: Amherst (school history)
Drafted by the Dallas Cowboys in the 13th round (338th overall) of the 1972 NFL Draft.

Weighted Career AV (100-95-...): 34 (2759th overall since 1950)
1-time Pro Bowler (fine print)

Last edited:
I would then expect us to keep a backup safety like Ihedigbo. Chung simply cannot be counted on to play for a full year.

That's what Tavon Wilson is for.

I wonder what Ebner's ceiling is.

I'm tempted to say "Ronnie Lott" just to get a response, but the reality is, no one knows. But Mike Vrabel clearly stressed Ebner's upside and potential to BB, and spoke openly about it after the draft.

I'm tempted to say "Ronnie Lott" just to get a response, but the reality is, no one knows. But Mike Vrabel clearly stressed Ebner's upside and potential to BB, and spoke openly about it after the draft.

I'm tempted to say "Ronnie Lott" just on general principles!! :D

I said it yesterday, and I'll say it again: this guy could be extraordinary.

Not just a Sub Pack/Reserve/Special Teams guy.

A long time starter and an extraordinary one.

With that freakish Athleticism, that insatiable Work Ethic, and what are rapidly becoming clear are phenomenal Processing Speed and Instincts...I say the sky's the limit for this guy.

With that freakish Athleticism, that insatiable Work Ethic, and what are rapidly becoming clear are phenomenal Processing Speed and Instincts...I say the sky's the limit for this guy.

I will go so far as to say that I think Ebner's upside is higher than Chung's, and I like Chung. But his floor is obviously much, much lower.

Wait until he plays for the Jets. Ray Ray will then let you know that his ceiling is unlimited.

Seriously, the fun of a prospect like Ebner is that he really came in with no ceiling, and no floor. Given his proven elite physical and mental makeup and near-total lack of football experience, ANYTHING was possible.

So given the way he seems to be shooting up the safety depth chart despite missing a big chunk of camp, and has, what, four INTs in practice so far...it's hard not to start thinking about the good extremes of "anything," eh?

Yep, I like the flexibility as well as the talent level. With those 21 players, you could field just about any style of defense BB can dream up.

I have a feeling that Cole could slip into the CB roster, too. He seems to offer the best balance of ST impact and actual DB skills.

This is what I am thinking. I think 10 DB's are needed for sub packages and depth due. Ebner's emergence has me thinking that Cole and Ihedgibo are playing for the last DB slot.

Seriously, the fun of a prospect like Ebner is that he really came in with no ceiling, and no floor. Given his proven elite physical and mental makeup and near-total lack of football experience, ANYTHING was possible.

So given the way he seems to be shooting up the safety depth chart despite missing a big chunk of camp, and has, what, four INTs in practice so far...it's hard not to start thinking about the good extremes of "anything," eh?
Anyone who looks better than the defensive trio of Barrett, Ihedigbo, and Brown (Sergio) is a major upgrade to the New England Patriots defensive secondary.

Ebner was an early binky of mine who I had given up hope on due to his inexperience and lost practice time,

His performance in such a short time has been astounding, and I hope like hell the Pats find a way to keep him on the 53.

It's almost like "The Natural"; a guy who comes out of no where, no one expects anything from, and then he just plays well.

He's going to be fun to watch.

Ebner was an early binky of mine who I had given up hope on due to his inexperience and lost practice time,

His performance in such a short time has been astounding, and I hope like hell the Pats find a way to keep him on the 53.

I'm right there with you, I thought that missing so many practices would be the kiss of death for the least experienced player on the team (if not in the whole league). Remarkable stuff.

If BB becomes comfortable with Ebner playing snaps on the field as safety, it'll be all over for the Clueless Three in Barrett, Brown, Ihedigbo. 4 Safeties will be fine. (Chung, Gregory, Wilson, Ebner) It says alot about the clueless 3 when two rookie safeties are outperforming them.

It's almost like "The Natural"; a guy who comes out of no where, no one expects anything from, and then he just plays well.

He's going to be fun to watch.

Agree its going to be a great watch. Can't remember a player that had this level of reckless nature on the Pats..

He has at least six which I think leads the team and also has a handful of pass breakups as well. And I don't remember hearing about him ever blowing coverages or getting beat for big plays down the field. He's been playing at a very high level for someone who's never played real football in his entire life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back