PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

4th and 2 on the their own 30 - Discuss it here [merged 10x]

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: 4th and 2 on the their own 30 - Discuss it here (Merged 9X)

Yes. You said that the Pats had a 60% chance of getting the first down and a 55% chance of winning the game after punting it, which figured into Belichick's decision of going for it. I fully understand your statistics. What I'm saying is that the juice was not worth the squeeze for a 60% chance of getting the first down. The 40% chance, in this case, that you do not get it is too big of an opportunity to give a Peyton Manning (of all people)... ESPECIALLY when you have no timeouts.

This is the problem with the statistics. That argument does not differentiate between Peyton Manning as the other team's QB, and Jamarcus Russell. But, we all know, if it was the Raiders last night, BB would have punted that ball and let Russell try to go 70 yards.

Last edited:

which don't adjust for the circumstances of a particular game,

from the link I just posted:

The break-even point on the decision occurs when the team with the ball is about 5 percent weaker than N.F.L. average on offense and 5 percent better than N.F.L. average on defense, while the opposing team is 5 percent better than N.F.L. average on defense and 5 percent worse than average on offense.

This is the problem with the statisitcs. That argument does not differentiate between Peyton Manning as the other team's QB, and Jamarcus Russell. but, we all know, if it was the Raiders last night, BB would have punted that ball and let Russell try to go 70 yards.

of course it does. you have just ignored it.

Last edited:

This team made a lot of unusual decisions this offseason. Anyone who is so far in the tank for Belichick that they can't admit something that obvious, even if they like those moves that were made, is simply not going to be able to carry on a worthwhile discussion on the matter.

Admit what? The 4th and 2 call? Trading Seymour? Those are certainly controversial decisions but I wouldn't call them bizarre.

Is this Steve Gutman?

I haven't had time to look at the statistics but what if the ball was on the 9yrd line, with 2yards for the 1st down.. was probability for a completion still on our side?
We SHOULD HAVE PUNTED!!!

from the link I just posted:

I'm not sure why you can't grasp the concept yet keep bagging on others about their comprehension but I'll try again:

which don't adjust for the circumstances of a particular game

It clearly doesn't do that. What's worse is that you have to know that, yet you keep making the same inapplicable assertions as if it does.

Deriding the use of the statistics, which don't adjust for the circumstances of a particular game, is not the same as failing to understand those statistics.

Then adjust the statistics to take into account the situation. The point value (to the Colts) of giving them the ball at the 30 increases with a Manning offense, but it also increases the point value (to the Colts) of giving them the ball at their own 30. The better Manning is, the MORE you want to go for it in that situation, not less. If Rex Grossman is on the other side, you obviously kick it away. Are you arguing just to argue? You're saying: "I don't like the numbers you're plugging in". I say: "OK, adjust the numbers." Why don't you suggest some numbers, plug them into the equation and see where the tipping point is. We don't have to argue about the math part of it (like Kontradiction is), that's beyond argument. If you want to argue the relative probabilities of all the various events, that's fine , but focusing on the relative probabilities of the Colts actions only, without taking into account the probability of the Patriots' actions is just intellectually indefensible.

Last edited:

of course it does. you have just ignored it.

Please, point out to me on that website where the statistics are for the Jamarcus Russell-led Raiders, versus the Manning-led Colts, on drives starting from their own 30 yard line, with two minutes left and one time out, needing nothing less then a touchdown, facing a secondary filled with young players.

I haven't had time to look at the statistics but what if the ball was on the 9yrd line, with 2yards for the 1st down.. was probability for a completion still on our side?
We SHOULD HAVE PUNTED!!!

Here's a post by our own Kasmir (written after the Atlanta game) which illustrates the intellectual problem many of you are having quite succintly. The math he applies is not quite correct, but the basic idea is there and you can read Romer's article for the actual equations. I encourage you to read this and Romer if you have time:

Good old Bayesian "paradox", i.e. fans are understandably applying Bayesian logic, which in this case happens to strongly disagree with classical probability analysis

Aside from end of game and end of half effects, field positions have consistent point value, taking *everything* into account. Romer purports to have created such a function, from data compiled from 1998-2000 play analysis. At its simplest: from his tables, 1st and 10 on your own 25 yard line is worth about half a point. Your opponent having 1st and 10 on your 25 yard line is worth about -3 points. So the break even on the decision to go for it on 4th and 1 is about 86%. That is, if Belichick thought the probability of getting a 1st down was greater than 86%, it was a mathematically justifiable decision according to Romer.

You can reasonably question the particular tables Romer used, and question whatever offsets Belichick may have or should have applied. But you can't reasonably question the tradeoff itself. It apparently makes sense makes sense to go for it on 4th and 1 in from your own 25 surprisingly more than you would think based on what coaches actually do.

That's where the Bayesian part comes in. We all *know* that NFL coaches *don't* go for it in those circumstances, so our Bayesian filter violently disagrees with Romer's recommendation. How could so many coaches be so wrong for so long? Bayesian logic suggests Romer's analysis must be flawed.

But we're left with uncomfortable counter datum that Bill Belichick appears to agree with Romer, so maybe Romer is onto something, lest we conclude Belichick is a fool sometimes.

So how *could* so many coaches possibly be so wrong? Romer considers the obvious, that they're risk averse, i.e that they'd rather punt the ball and slightly increase their probability of losing the game according to decision theory rather than to go for it and slightly increase the probability that they'll lose their job to the Bayesian mob. Romer dismisses this possibility because he believes losing games it what actually loses jobs for coaches.

But I think he underestimates the magnitude of the Bayesian driven risk to coaches. Just in reading this thread, you can see how powerfully the disbelief is in the Romer recommendation amongst clearly intelligent fans assessing the decision of a coach whom they believe to be one of the greatest of all time. Even *Belichick* is pilloried by his most fervent fans *after he won*; how then can a lesser coach, perpetually worried about job security, possibly be expected to put his reputation at risk for a small and controversial increased expectation of winning? The answer is clear: coaches fear ridicule more than they fear losing. The fear perpetuates a questionable practice, which reinforces the Bayesian disbelief, which perpetuates the fear. This status quo is quite resistant to change.

Last edited:

Please, point out to me on that website where the statistics are for the Jamarcus Russell-led Raiders, versus the Manning-led Colts, on drives starting from their own 30 yard line, with two minutes left and one time out, needing nothing less then a touchdown, facing a secondary filled with young players.

I haven't done the math, but I think the net effect of changing the quarterbacks is zero, or close to it. The reason is that the negative point value you assign to "Team X 30 yds from the end zone" increases with Manning, but so does the negative point value you assign to "Team X 70 yds from the end zone". When you factor in the probabilities of these events with the expected point value of picking up the first down, I believe they cancel each other out. I am willing to be corrected here, but you will have to show me how I'm wrong mathematically - jumping up and down and making conclusive statements will not persuade me.

Last edited:

For the record, pretty much every football statistician is saying it was the right call to go for it.

Teams convert 4th and 2 above 65% of the time. Converting is a win.

Pro-football-reference.com blog Belichick, Peyton Manning, and 4th down decisions
Pro-football-reference.com blog Checkdowns: Belichick Was Right
Advanced NFL Stats: Belichick's 4th Down Decision vs the Colts

People don't use logic when analyzing this, unfortunately, they use emotion.

This is why idiots like Peter King are calling BB out on this.

For the record, pretty much every football statistician is saying it was the right call to go for it.

Pro-football-reference.com blog Belichick, Peyton Manning, and 4th down decisions
Pro-football-reference.com blog Checkdowns: Belichick Was Right
Advanced NFL Stats: Belichick's 4th Down Decision vs the Colts

I really don't put much stock in the stats argument. I'm not sure BB did either.

Everyone's eyes told them the D had little to no chance of stopping the Colts if they punted them back the ball. BB felt the same way. He thought the chances of Brady hitting Faulk, Welker, or Moss for 2 yards was his only chance to win the game so he went with it even though punting and losing is what most other coaches do there.

Then adjust the statistics to take into account the situation. The point value (to the Colts) of giving them the ball at the 30 increases with a Manning offense, but it also increases the point value (to the Colts) of giving them the ball at their own 30. The better Manning is, the MORE you want to go for it in that situation, not less. If Rex Grossman is on the other side, you obviously kick it away. Are you arguing just to argue? You're saying: "I don't like the numbers you're plugging in". I say: "OK, adjust the numbers." Why don't you suggest some numbers, plug them into the equation and see where the tipping point is. We don't have to argue about the math part of it (like Kontradiction is), that's beyond argument. If you want to argue the relative probabilities of all the various events, that's fine too, focusing on the relative probabilities of the Colts actions only, without taking into account the probability of the Patriots' actions is just intellectually indefensible.

There is no way to "adjust the numbers". The bottom line is that it was a bad call because of all the circumstances surrounding the call. When your statistic takes into account the stupidity of passing it on 3rd down if the team was going to go for it on 4th down, the impact, both mentally and physically of losing the timeout, the impact upon the defensive psyche of having to face Manning starting from the 30 after the coach just threw that defense under the bus by going for it on 4th down, etc... then, and only then, will you be able to get something near an accurate statistic. Good luck with that.

It clearly doesn't do that. What's worse is that you have to know that, yet you keep making the same inapplicable assertions as if it does.

Scenario 1: The custom case for the specific offensive and defensive features of the Colts and the Patriots.

Going for it: 77.3% (Probability of Winning for the Patriots)
Punting: 75.7%

that is from here

and Brian Burke says

Statistically, the better decision would be to go for it, and by a good amount. However, these numbers are baselines for the league as a whole. You'd have to expect the Colts had a better than a 30% chance of scoring from their 34, and an accordingly higher chance to score from the Pats' 28. But any adjustment in their likelihood of scoring from either field position increases the advantage of going for it. You can play with the numbers any way you like, but it's pretty hard to come up with a realistic combination of numbers that make punting the better option. At best, you could make it a wash.

go ahead and play with these 3 variables:

% chance Pats convert the 4th down = X
% chance Colts score if you fail to convert = Y
% chance Colts score if you punt = Z

with the equation

(X * 1) + ({X-1} * (1-Y)) = Patriots winning percentage if they go for it

versus

1 - Z = Patriots winning percentage if they punt

and see what team specific scenarios you need to come to the conclusion that Punting is a better option than going for it

Last edited:

Everyone supporting BB misses a key point completely. You can't just throw out that stat and assume it applies at a 65% rate in this situation. There's a difference in the intensity level on the field between converting 4th and 2 in the first quarter on an opponents 40 in a 0-0 game and 4th and 2 inside your own 30 with 2 minutes to go to decide a game. Defenses will be tougher to get that first down against when that one play will decide the game in the situation the Pats were in.

The only way to get accurate stats on this is look at the 4th and 2 plays where it was clear to both teams that it was a game deciding play at the end of a game and how often those were converted.

Last edited:

There is no way to "adjust the numbers". The bottom line is that it was a bad call because of all the circumstances surrounding the call. When your statistic takes into account the stupidity of passing it on 3rd down if the team was going to go for it on 4th down, the impact, both mentally and physically of losing the timeout, the impact upon the defensive psyche of having to face Manning starting from the 30 after the coach just threw that defense under the bus by going for it on 4th down, etc... then, and only then, will you be able to get something near an accurate statistic. Good luck with that.

Ah Deus, moving the goal posts again. This is a favorite tactic of yours, but it won't work here. Yes, BB was stupid to pass on 3d and 2 if it was his plan to go on 4th down. No, that's not what we're arguing about in this thread. Obviously, you have to take into account other things than probabilities, but when you're trying to make decisions to win games, the potentially bruised egos of your players should not be an overriding factor. Now, if you want to debate his overall strategy (i.e., pass on 3rd down, pass on 4th out of empty backfield, not intentionally giving up a quick TD), I probably won't argue with you.

how then can a lesser coach, perpetually worried about job security, possibly be expected to put his reputation at risk for a small and controversial increased expectation of winning? The answer is clear: coaches fear ridicule more than they fear losing.

Nice post. I totally see that.

his only chance to win the game so he went with it even though punting and losing is what most other coaches do there.

What most other coaches do is irrelevant. Most other coaches punt there not because they think it'll make them win, but so they can't be called out if they fail.

The statistics are flawed. Does it take into consideration the formation the team is in? Going for it on 4th and 2 when you are in a pass formation is different from going for it when you do a play action or a RB screen.
The Colts knew we were passing. We all knew we were passing.
If the ball is on our 9yrd line and we are 4th and 2, do we still go for it because 65% of the time, we should get the 1st down? NO! We don't do that because we also have to factor risk and reward into our analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back