PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

4PM and No Asante Deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
he gets traded for a 1st round pick.

wait and see

Yup! An "09" pick. Probably be easy, too.
I doubt we have the cap space next year to sign
three first rounders.

Re: no deal per riess

Actually, it isn't exactly true according to Reiss about them being $17 million apart on the bonuses. Samuel wants $30 million in the first three years. The Pats reportely offered a deal for $6 million a year with a $13 million signing bonus.

Let's assume that the Pats pays Samuel $3 million a year in the first three years for base salary. Then they are only about $8 million apart.

From Reiss' report:

Samuel's camp had been focusing on the first three years of a contract, and was seeking around $30 million. The first three years of any deal are considered key, because players are generally guaranteed they will earn the money even though NFL contracts aren't guaranteed.

Meanwhile, the Patriots' most recent offer would have paid Samuel an average of about $6 million per season, with approximately $13 million in bonuses.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...7/16/no_deal_deadline_passes_on_samuel_talks/

There is nothing on Reiss blog beyond early this AM.

OK I see it's posted in an article on the main Globe sports site. Well, I knew he wanted more than Adalius got 'cause he mentioned it once, but $30M in the first 3 is insanity. He's overpaid at $7.79M for one year. They should have traded him in April and drafted a corner. Probably still should just trade him if he won't come in for camp. Belioli need to get someone in the FO who can read these guys a little better than they appear to. When you're that far apart going through the motions as if there is some reason to is just a colossal waste of time. It doesn't matter if you want them to stay - if they are that delusional about finances you need to quit kidding yourselves and just move on.

Last edited:

Greeeeeeeed!!!!!!!

pats offered 13 million with a avg of 6 million, samuel wanted 30 million in the first 3 years

Then they aren't nearly $17 million apart in bonuses. If they offered him a 5 year $30 million deal with more than a third of it in a bonus, the Pats will most likely pay him $18-22 million in the first three years.

I doubt we have the cap space next year to sign
three first rounders.
Outside of the top ten or so, #1 picks don't cost that much.

I don't think we're trading him, though. I think we keep him and make him earn his big contract again.

Samuel's camp had been focusing on the first three years of a contract, and was seeking around $30 million. The first three years of any deal are considered key, because players are generally guaranteed they will earn the money even though NFL contracts aren't guaranteed.

Meanwhile, the Patriots' most recent offer would have paid Samuel an average of about $6 million per season, with approximately $13 million in bonuses.

SAMUEL IS RIDICULOUS. He is a fool. That demand is insane, and the Pats' offer is more than fair. What a dink.
and to make matters worse he may sit out..an even bigger dink

The way I read it, he wasn't looking for $30 in guarantees, he was looking for $30 million over the first three years. That would have included salary and bonuses in those years. However, since everything is speculation, there is really no way of knowing how close they were to signing him.

.... According to most sources, the Pats offered $13 million in bonuses. That means Samuel wants $30 million or Freeney money.

Good for me: in another thread i posited that 13 million would get it done.

Bad for me: that sum was supposed to get it done.
Asante sure is one cool customer ... rejecting a king's ransom in hand
for two in the bush - maybe.

Good for all of us: now he has to play like a Champ this season
if he expects someone to pay him like a Champ (Bailey) next year.

I guess we should have taken his ink serious...................

GET PAID

What a complete jackass. $30 million for the first three years? Is he freaking high? Unreal, I cannot believe this guy actually thinks he is worth that kind of money. Wow! Let him play under the franchise tag, then trade his ass next season. Let some other idiotic franchise give him $30 million...

He had ONE good game against Marvin Harrison in the playoffs. Every other time he had been asked to cover Marvin, he got smoked...

Last edited:
Outside of the top ten or so, #1 picks don't cost that much.

I don't think we're trading him, though. I think we keep him and make him earn his big contract again.

Unfortunately when the risk he's weighting is $30M vs. $7.79M, I can see a guy that delusional holding out to week 10 (which is our bye week). He knows if he does he gets almost $4M for actually playing 7 games plus the playoffs. And he knows if he picks a couple in the playoffs the league will forget he held out for 10 weeks.

Belichick will tire of the incessant questions about Asante, not just to him but to almost every player in camp. If he holds firm he'll be gone before the last pre season game. The unit will have to move on KNOWING it's on them to get the job done and if they do the job is theirs.

I'm not about to badmouth the guy because he wants to get all he can. As long as he plays this year and plays well, I have no problems. However, just to put his demands in perspective, Adalius Thomas is only getting $24 million over the first three years.

. Well, I knew he wanted more than Adalius got 'cause he mentioned it once, but $30M in the first 3 is insanity. He's overpaid at $7.79M for one year.

He'll wind up getting $30 million over three years - its just a question of how and when it comes (barring injury and outright crappy play of course).

If Asante and his agent can work an agreement whereby he's in camp, does not hold out and the team agrees not to franchise him next season (an agreement which is probably in everyone's best interest at this point) Asante will likely get his $30 million over 3 years.

Nearly $8 million this season plus a bonus of $22 next year with a new deal is very feasible.

This is why I felt that the reduction of rhetoric and threats by Asante's team leading up to today was more about working an agreement not to tag him next year rather than any realistic expectations that the Patriots would come close enough to a $30 million over three year deal.

I'm not about to badmouth the guy because he wants to get all he can. As long as he plays this year and plays well, I have no problems. However, just to put his demands in perspective, Adalius Thomas is only getting $24 million over the first three years.

I really think this is the point. NO WAY do we upset the entire pay structure of the Patriots for Samuel.

You want to talk a deal Like Vasher, I am right there and that is it appears what the Patriots offered. I defy anyone to make a case that the Patriots should have paid more.

Am I the only person who thinks that Asante would have been a fool to sign for 6M/yr with 13M in bonuses?

If that was NE's final offer they knew there was never any chance of a deal and already know how they're going to handle the Asante situation.

My best guess is that they simply wait for him to sign the tender. If he doesn't sign it until week 10 then so be it. It's not like Belichick won't simply answer "no comment" to any Asante question. Asking about Asante will be just like injury inquiries; reporters will ask the obligatory questions because they have to and then move on. Just because ESPN and the Boston Sports Media will be talking about Asante every hour for 10 weeks doesn't mean Belichick will give it a second thought.

*edit* bringing up Thomas's deal is unfair to Asante. Thomas did not prioritize money and took less because of it. Expecting Asante to take less just because Thomas did is unfair. He has all the right in the world to get paid as much as he can as long as he's willing to accept the repercussions.

Last edited:

He'll wind up getting $30 million over three years - its just a question of how and when it comes (barring injury and outright crappy play of course).

If Asante and his agent can work an agreement whereby he's in camp, does not hold out and the team agrees not to franchise him next season (an agreement which is probably in everyone's best interest at this point) Asante will likely get his $30 million over 3 years.

Nearly $8 million this season plus a bonus of $22 next year with a new deal is very feasible.

This is why I felt that the reduction of rhetoric and threats by Asante's team leading up to today was more about working an agreement not to tag him next year rather than any realistic expectations that the Patriots would come close enough to a $30 million over three year deal.

Do not agree. So, basically we promise not to franchise him next year? Then proceed to lose him for nothing? Nope. If he comes in and plays under the franchise, we tag him and trade him next year. There is no way they let him go for nothing.

Branch offered the same thing and was rejected. I'm not sure it's in the Patriots' best interest to gain a few games of Samuel (OK, ten) for this year but agree to lose him for nothing in 7 months.

But Thomas is 3 years older than Samuel and plays linebacker, not cornerback. Top CBs are paid more than top LBs.

Then the question is whehter or not the Pats feel Samuel is a top corner or not...obviously they do not...or they want a prove it year before dropping tons of cash on a player who some thought would not start last year. /shrug...who knows.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back