PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

49'ers Trade With Denver For RD-1 Pick #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
R_T26 said:
So Denver dealt a first rounder, 3rd rounder, and 4th rounder, to basically pick up a high second and 3rd round pick.

Actually, I thought it was just a first (#22) for a second and a third.....

R_T26 said:
So Denver dealt a first rounder, 3rd rounder, and 4th rounder, to basically pick up a high second and 3rd round pick.

and the 15th overall!

the culmination of the two deals:

they traded #29 and #22 and a third this year and a fourth next

and received #15 and #37 overall and a high third this year.

i think it looks like an excellent piece of moving around to where the tiers of talent lie. With this year's draft, #37 is essentially a first round pick talent-wise...and they think that they can get a difference maker at 15 (bunkley, holmes, or a slider from the top ten)

also they may not be done as Ashlie Lelie is almost certain to be traded.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by patpatriot
Do you think this deal was offered to the Pats first? It stands to reason that SF would rather have 21 than 22. I'll bet the Pats passed on it which implies that they think someone really good is going to be within reach in the first round. Interesting...unquote
by belichek fan.
That's kind of what I was referring to, I am sure we could have done it if we'd wanted to. Which could mean a couple of things. One, the obvious, that there's a group of players out of which we think we'll get one at 21 but probably wouldn't at 38, or whatever the pick is. Or Two, that it's just too early to trade down without seeing if someone like Wilfork will slide dramatically.unquote
This is a very interesting development because you have to think SF talked to us. I for one and others on the draft forum thought we would have done this deal in a heartbeat and been happy. So what does it mean? Do we have other trade possibilities on the back burner? Are we just keeping our options open? Do we think another surprise will fall in our lap? Think any trade we make will want future picks instead of all this year. Personally feel that the offer was made to us and we passed because of other greater trade possibilities. ;)

pats1 said:
Gotta love those good 'ol draft value charts.

49ers' 37th pick = 530 points.

49ers' 68th pick = 250 points.

That is a total of 780 points.

What's the 22nd pick worth?

780, of course!

http://www.theredzone.org/2005/draft/draftvaluechart.asp

:rofl:

I can't remember who it was but I was recently chided for suggesting that the draft value charts are a resource used by teams to estimate value.

Obviously this is must just be a "coincidence"!

If the deal is so great for Denver, why didn't the patriots make the deal instead?

maverick4 said:
Denver got the better end of the deal. Even though the points equal out, this year's draft is deep, and with good scouting, two solid players can be had for the price of one.

SF's front office, in my opinion, is inept. They will probably do something stupid, similar to when the Chargers wasted their top 5 pick to draft Philip Rivers even though they already had Drew Brees.

I think it was too soon for us to trade. It goes with the above Wilfork theory, that who knows who will slip to us at 21, and we don't want to trade away the pick now without knowing how the rest of the draft will go.

I am willing to think Frisco made this deal to trade with Houston to get Bush. Houston need more than Bush to make them a contender, and if Houston can get 2 first rounders, they can work on thier offensive line (maybe trade down then trade back up to get Furgeson to anchor the line,) and add the second first rounder to get the best player available, seeing how they have a decent back and no matter who you have carrying the ball, if they don't get blocks, they will not perform.

Seymour93 said:
Did you see him play? He didn't throw a TD until like the last week of the season. Bad decision making coupled with poor mechanics (his hands are the smallest in the league for a QB) make a bustham. Last year's draft was weak in almost every department, including QB's; the 49ers needed a QB so they reached for Smith.

Have you seen the players around him? Tom Brady would have problems throwing to those players.. Their OL stinks, no WR's or TE and a horrible OC.
Two reasons why he'll have a better.

1. Norv Turner will slow down the game for him and run the ball more (norv is a good OC but horrible coach)

2. The 49ers will put more talent around him this year. B. Loyd was their #1 wr last year and he'll barely be a 3 in Washington..

First, I think it means that we want to draft in the first round, because of the players available and the extra contract year or two. As I have been saying, if we trade down, it will be within the first round.

It is interesting that more and more of us are talking about "greater trade possibilities" and trading up. There was littl of this talk a few weeks ago. As we all look at players more carefully and review analyses, I think we see that we may need to move up to get the quality we want; or perhaps we simply like the quality at say 12-15 or 17-19 enough to consider trading up.

bosfan said:
This is a very interesting development because you have to think SF talked to us. I for one and others on the draft forum thought we would have done this deal in a heartbeat and been happy. So what does it mean? Do we have other trade possibilities on the back burner? Are we just keeping our options open? Do we think another surprise will fall in our lap? Think any trade we make will want future picks instead of all this year. Personally feel that the offer was made to us and we passed because of other greater trade possibilities. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back