49'ers Trade With Denver For RD-1 Pick #22

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
So why do I post this here...Denver receives 49'ers round 2 and round 3 picks. The 49'ers are strapped on defense. Probably taking Hawk or Williams at pick 5. They need a safety/cb real bad also.

I say they made the deal to get in position to vault over us...afraid we are taking someone they have their eyes on Cromartie, Lawson, Hodge, Carpenter???

Anyways...lots of info out there and what do you think???

Is this is move to counter what we might be up to?

If so, perhaps Belichick gets an extra pick just to switch spots?

Last edited:
F.B.N. said:
So why do I post this here...Denver receives 49'ers round 2 and round 3 picks. The 49'ers are strapped on defense. Probably taking Hawk or Williams at pick 5. They need a safety/cb real bad also.

I say they made the deal to get in position to vault over us...afraid we are taking someone they have their eyes on CROMARTIE???

Anyways...lots of info out there and what do you think???

If so, perhaps Belichick gets an extra pick just to switch spots?

How your fast!!! I was just about to post this. I think this move clearly show that the 49ers are seriously considerring moving up in the draft, probably to take a QB. Now I know you guys are gonna bring up Alex Smith, but I think after a year in the 49ers system, the 49ers have made the decision that he is not the right qb for them. I think in the coming week, probably the day of the draft the 49ers will move to the Saints #2 pick to take Matt Leinard, the guy they were trying to persuade to come out last year. As for how this move affect us, most likely I think this means the Broncos will not be taking a WR with the first pick. They have much bigger needs then a WR, and since most of the things I have read on the WR class does not convince me that any of the WR are worthy of a top 20 pick, considerring the increadibly deep talent pool of all the other positions. So overall my opinion is that we will have a pick of any WR we want. However I also don't think we will go with a WR in the first.

F.B.N. said:
[/B]

I highly doubt this has anything to do with us. They would have been down pretty far in second, and are likely looking to upgrade at linebacker with Peterson gone. That means they are likely looking at getting the BA LB at 22. They can't trade away to many more picks, unless they are looking trade down from 6.

I'm sorry but there is no way the 49'ers, no matter how inept, are going to abandon Alex Smith after playing half of his rookie season. Please.

If SF is looking to move, it will likely be to get Bush at #1.

jimmyjames said:
I'm sorry but there is no way the 49'ers, no matter how inept, are going to abandon Alex Smith after playing half of his rookie season. Please.
couldn't be any more correct.

Here is what makes this interesting. Many writers had LenDale White pegged with Denver @ that #22 pick with a contract agreed in principle. There is no way white goes @ # 15. White just tanked out of the first round in my opinion.

This is how I see it. Looking at the background of the two organziations we should be able to agree that the Broncos do a good job of drafting and moving up and down in the draft. They take risks because their owner and coach are on the same page. If a mistake is made, then it won't hurt to much. Bottom line is they have a STRONG FRONT OFFICE. On the other hand the 49ers are a little desperate and have a player or two in mind. Maybe they will move up and try to get a player. Holley and Dale were talking about this on weei today and I agreed. The teams with strong foundations can sit back and let the draft come to them, they have a good track record.. While teams with poor or no track record take more chances.. If the 49ers do intend to move up, I really would think it would be for bush, not a QB..

What I am basically saying is that by Denver moving around in the draft and acquiring extra picks means one thing for the PATRIOT and fans in general. The draft is deep and players that hold the grade of 1st round picks will drop into the second round. Denver is stock piling..

mcsully said:
What I am basically saying is that by Denver moving around in the draft and acquiring extra picks means one thing for the PATRIOT and fans in general. The draft is deep and players that hold the grade of 1st round picks will drop into the second round. Denver is stock piling..
Excellent Post.
I agree with your conclusion.

I have to admit, while I don't know who we'd lose I wouldn't have been disappointed making this deal to deal down. I know we have lots of picks but having three 3s, two 4s, our own 2 and SF's 2 wouldn't have sucked.

Digger44 said:
Here is what makes this interesting. Many writers had LenDale White pegged with Denver @ that #22 pick with a contract agreed in principle. There is no way white goes @ # 15. White just tanked out of the first round in my opinion.

No way White gets past the Steelers at #32. He fits the mold of a Steelers type of HB. Cowher can motivate damn near any player in my opinion.

I wonder...

Do you think this deal was offered to the Pats first? It stands to reason that SF would rather have 21 than 22. I'll bet the Pats passed on it which implies that they think someone really good is going to be within reach in the first round. Interesting...

Last edited:
re

Denver got the better end of the deal. Even though the points equal out, this year's draft is deep, and with good scouting, two solid players can be had for the price of one.

SF's front office, in my opinion, is inept. They will probably do something stupid, similar to when the Chargers wasted their top 5 pick to draft Philip Rivers even though they already had Drew Brees.

patpatriot said:
Do you think this deal was offered to the Pats first? It stands to reason that SF would rather have 21 than 22. I'll bet the Pats passed on it which implies that they think someone really good is going to be within reach in the first round. Interesting...
That's kind of what I was referring to, I am sure we could have done it if we'd wanted to. Which could mean a couple of things. One, the obvious, that there's a group of players out of which we think we'll get one at 21 but probably wouldn't at 38, or whatever the pick is. Or Two, that it's just too early to trade down without seeing if someone like Wilfork will slide dramatically.

Although, in theory, the Pats' pick is worth slightly more than the two picks the 49ers were offering. . . . Do you think they'd have been willing to part with a third pick just to move up one more spot? [Then again, we're talking about the Niners, so who knows? :) ]

RxJock1120 said:
How your fast!!! I was just about to post this. I think this move clearly show that the 49ers are seriously considerring moving up in the draft, probably to take a QB. Now I know you guys are gonna bring up Alex Smith, but I think after a year in the 49ers system, the 49ers have made the decision that he is not the right qb for them.

Smith is not an NFL- calibre QB, however what would the 49ers do with his monster contract that #1's overall get? A lot of that money is guarenteed.

Seymour93 said:
Smith is not an NFL- calibre QB, however what would the 49ers do with his monster contract that #1's overall get? A lot of that money is guarenteed.
Seymour93, I am not sure that you can say that about Smith. The guy played for half a year and then was injured. How can you determine his value?

So Denver dealt a first rounder, 3rd rounder, and 4th rounder, to basically pick up a high second and 3rd round pick.

Digger44 said:
Seymour93, I am not sure that you can say that about Smith. The guy played for half a year and then was injured. How can you determine his value?

Did you see him play? He didn't throw a TD until like the last week of the season. Bad decision making coupled with poor mechanics (his hands are the smallest in the league for a QB) make a bustham. Last year's draft was weak in almost every department, including QB's; the 49ers needed a QB so they reached for Smith.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye