PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

49ers Reportedly Putting Kaepernick on the Trading Block

trading him would be an approx 10M cap hit for the 9ers......

Kaepernick has a weird deal that doesn't become fully guaranteed until April 1 of each year, after free agency period is basically complete, and teams know what they're looking for in the draft.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/colin-kaepernick/

Question for people who understand this stuff better than me: If they trade Kaepernick before April 1, do the 49ers have any residual dead money on their cap? I think not, but the fact that NFL League Years starts on March 10, 2015 suggests that he's due the $2M roster bonus. Is that correct?

Kaepernick has a weird deal that doesn't become fully guaranteed until April 1 of each year, after free agency period is basically complete, and teams know what they're looking for in the draft.

Question for people who understand this stuff better than me: If they trade Kaepernick before April 1, do the 49ers have any residual dead money on their cap? I think not, but the fact that NFL League Years starts on March 10, 2015 suggests that he's due the $2M roster bonus. Is that correct?

From looking at it, that is an interesting contract..

His salary goes down 2 million dollars if he isn't named 1st or 2nd team All-Pro the previous year Or wins the NFC Championship (neither of which happened last year).

So his 2015 salary is 8.4 million which becomes fully guaranteed if he is on the roster on April 1. I can only ASSuME that his 2 million roster bonus gets paid on April 1 too. Plus he is still owed another 10 million in guaranteed money (they broke up his 12.3 million dollar signing bonus into yearly 2.4 million dollar payments.

I doubt the 49ers would trade him because they would take an almost ten million dollar cap hit.

if you are the team trading for Kapernick, then the contract is very tempting, because you can pretty much dump him with any cap consequences , but you would still owe him @ 10 million in guaranteed money.

I highly doubt he goes anywhere.

right, but he got 12M+ as a signing bonus last summer......if he goes now, the remaining prorated portion would hit the cap instantly......12M - 1/7th of 12M.....or 10M+

MPdTG22.jpg

GM Trent Baalke issues a strong denial of the Kaepernick rumours.

But seriously, the guy is 25-14 as a starter, 4-2 in the play-offs (with both losses to the Super Bowl champs), thrown 50 TDs against 21 INTs (+10 rushing TDs), a career 90.6 RAT in the regular season and 87.3 RAT in the play-offs.

Some people don't like the way he looks, the way he throws, the way he talks, or the way he celebrates. But 2/3 of the league would love to have him as their QB.
His stats have also declined for 3 straight years. I think the league has figured him out.

His stats have also declined for 3 straight years. I think the league has figured him out.

Maybe. I think a lot of it has to do with a deteriorating OL, and a defense struggling with injuries. The offense changed a lot too. Roman said he wanted Kaep to throw more after his contract extension, and the type of throws he made also changed.

Or maybe the league has figured him out. But I wouldn't give up on him just yet if I were the 49ers.

Looks like Niners aren't goin any where with Seahawks owning their division and Kaep never lived up to expectations so not really surprised.

"Runners" come and go with many proclaiming a new wave of QB... I know he has a rocket for an arm, but clearly his decision making and accuracy hardly rivals Rodgers or Brady.

SF can go back to the bottom of their division now.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back