PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

49ers Release OLB Tully Banta-Cain

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsChamp88

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
TBC gave the 49ers four total sacks after they gave him an $8.7M deal three offseasons ago. The Patriots, who brought Banta-Cain up originally, need depth at outside linebacker and may give him another look in free agency.

Per, ESPN NFC West Blog

Thought some might get a kick out of this

Please God, let's not sign him.

Please God, let's not sign him.

Why not? As long as hes cheap, hes probably a better pass rusher than Vrable at this point.

Its silly to judge a passrusher on sacks when his entire team is awful. You don't get to rush the passer a lot when you're down by 20.

SF's big mistake with TBC was thinking he was anything other than a 3rd down guy.

Whether its TBC or another FA or in the draft,This team will continue to miss super bowls and go nowhere if the pass rush remains non existent which has been the case since Willie Mac 55 left

I would give TBC and a boatload of others a chance to make a splash at the position - Vrabel's difference making days are pretty much over when it comes to pass rush

Why not? As long as hes cheap, hes probably a better pass rusher than Vrable at this point.

Its silly to judge a passrusher on sacks when his entire team is awful. You don't get to rush the passer a lot when you're down by 20.

SF's big mistake with TBC was thinking he was anything other than a 3rd down guy.

The pass rush looked excellent in the '06 AFC Championship. :rolleyes:

Whether its TBC or another FA or in the draft,This team will continue to miss super bowls and go nowhere if the pass rush remains non existent which has been the case since Willie Mac 55 left

Patriots Sacks

2006: 44 (5th in NFL)
2007: 47 (2nd in NFL)

2008: 31 (T14 in NFL)

Considering our various injuries and other situations throughout this season that is not a horrible statistic. Last year the high scoring offense made teams one dimensional on offense thus more sacks, look for that this year again :). I don't see him benefiting that statistic all to much or the defense, we'll see.

I want to see Crable bulk up a little bit then see what he can do for our pass rush. I know the preseason isn't really a good thing to judge talent by, but he LIVED in the backfield last preseason and his best quality coming out of college was his knack for getting into the backfield. Granted, in the Pats defense Crable would be required to have solid coverage abilities as well as the ability to set the edge, but his pass rush would be a definite plus in this defense. Besides, I would rather develop Crable than take back a castoff who was let go for a reason. If TBC comes back for LB depth then I would welcome that signing, but not as a full time starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes