PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

49ers release Damon Huard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I prefer a 27 year old player who didn't work out in the most dysfunctional spot in the league over a player who's been cut loose by 4 teams, including this very team, and is 36 years old.

Right, because the Patriots never bring in aging veterans to fill their backup quarterback spots. John Friesz, (Damon Huard), Jim Miller, Doug Flutie, and Vinny Testaverde mustn't have been on the team, then.

Yes, I prefer a 27 year old player who didn't work out in the most dysfunctional spot in the league over a player who's been cut loose by 4 teams, including this very team, and is 36 years old.

Then I take it that Jeff George is out of the picture????;)

Right, because the Patriots never bring in aging veterans to fill their backup quarterback spots. John Friesz, (Damon Huard), Jim Miller, Doug Flutie, and Vinny Testaverde mustn't have been on the team, then.

Not sure what that has to do with it. Yes, the Pats don't hesitate to bring in an aging vet. That doesn't mean Huard is a GOOD aging vet. Even at his advanced age, Testaverde had some tread on the tires. Also, most of those guys had much greater success than Huard. Buying a used Audi is one thing; buying a used Yugo is another.

Not sure what that has to do with it. Yes, the Pats don't hesitate to bring in an aging vet. That doesn't mean Huard is a GOOD aging vet. Even at his advanced age, Testaverde had some tread on the tires. Also, most of those guys had much greater success than Huard. Buying a used Audi is one thing; buying a used Yugo is another.

I think Huard is just as good at this point, if not better, than those players were when the Pats signed them. Huard knows the system and is about the bset you're going to get on the street for an experienced quarterback. I'd rather have him coming into a gme to replace Brady than Walter, and I'd rather have Huard holding a clipboard than Walter. And the Pats could certainly keep both; Hoyer shouldn't have too much of a problem making it to the practice squad.

Last edited:
I think Huard is just as good at this point, if not better, than those players were when the Pats signed them. Huard knows the system and is about the bset you're going to get on the street for an experienced quarterback. I'd rather have him coming into a gme to replace Brady than Walter, and I'd rather have Huard holding a clipboard than Walter. And the Pats could certainly keep both; Hoyer shouldn't have too much of a problem making it to the practice squad.

This is really the point. If you think there simply has not been enough time to gain confidence that Walter can step in, and you KNOW that it is too soon to put Hoyer in that position, then Huard makes sense. It is also possible they do not want to expose Hoyer (who they have looked at for a couple of months at least).

Huard is the reason Cassel is the $60M man in KC. He's had his chances and he's taken his lumps, five fold. He was Drew's backup and wingman for the 2001 season only he got lapped by the 6th rounder. He didn't want to stay and back him up, why would Bill want him now? Pioli cut him as soon as he got to KC... He needs a solid backup, not a veteran presence which is what Flutie and Testaverde were here for. Brady is now that veteran presence (in BB's book that's a player with 8+ seasons and some success at overcoming adversity). They were only going to come in if Tom went down in a game. By the next week Cassel was going to be coached up if they needed a longer replacement. Walter has the NFL exposure Cassel lacked. He will be the first guy in and unless he totally tanks Hoyer will never see the field

Kansas City fans would strongly disagree.

He's worth a look.

I forgot this is one of those weeks, where we'll see a bunch of these threads. :rolleyes:

ok, Huard first......ummm,,,no. I havent see enough of Walter to be able to say he's no good. Thats why im really looking forward to thurs game. I have, however, seen enough of Huard to think we'd be desperate to bring him back. Its not that i don't like the guy, but i think there will be better options out there next week, IF BB decides to go that route.

Huard knows Charlie Weis' system

Huard knows Charlie Weis' system. I like the guy, but he's just not that good anymore. I'd consider it a pretty discouraging sign if we even worked him out, let alone signed him.

I think we go with 2 QB's on the roster and if TB goes down we look at an FA like Huard

Then next year I wonder if BB makes a serious move for Tebow ?

Huard knows Charlie Weis' system. I like the guy, but he's just not that good anymore. I'd consider it a pretty discouraging sign if we even worked him out, let alone signed him.

It's the same thing. Nothing has changed termininology-wise.

It really doesn't matter if he's still good or not. When's the last time the Pats had a "good" backup QB, like Volek or Schaub?

It really doesn't matter if he's still good or not. When's the last time the Pats had a "good" backup QB, like Volek or Schaub?

Matt Cassel 2008:D

I dont see any other teams reaching for Huard anytime soon. Possibly Denver. But I think we'd wait it out and see what other QBs soon hit the waiver wire. But dont forget, we did bring in some awfully OLD backup QBs in here recently in Flutie and Testaverde. Never say never with a guy like Huard.

Matt Cassel 2008:D

Might have been the best season by a backup QB technically going all the way back to the Young/Montana days. Id say we've actually had some fairly qualified backups over the past several years. This year is definitely the weakest I can ever recall that spot being.

Feely>Huard at this point. Sure if we cant swing Feely I would rather have Huard over Walter any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back