PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

49ers cut ILB Derek Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPF

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Any interest here?? I like him, nothing spectacular but a fundamentally sound LB. 33 yrs old, 6-2 237. Non-stop motor, physical, quick, smart, instinctive, disciplined, reads plays well and has good range. He made all the defensive calls for the 49ers. Adequate in coverage because he is slowing down with age but reads/reacts well to QB. Good blitzer and textbook tackler who wraps up, which was a little prob for us last year at some points of the season.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
POSTED 3:51 p.m. EST, February 19, 2008

49ERS CUT DEREK SMITH by Michael David Smith

The San Francisco 49ers announced today that they cut 11-year veteran linebacker Derek Smith.

"Decisions like this are a difficult part of a great business," 49ers coach Mike Nolan said. "Derek has been an important member of the 49ers, and you don't make these kinds of decisions without battling the emotion that is natural when you are dealing with a player that has done so much for your organization."

The 33-year-old Smith started 14 games for the 49ers in 2007, but as the season went on it became clear that the team would build its defense around younger players, especially Rookie of the Year Patrick Willis. Nolan said that youth movement was the primary reason for today's move.

"We made the decision because we have quality linebackers who we think are the future of the 49ers," Nolan said. "Derek was a model professional during his seven seasons with the 49ers, and he influenced a lot of the younger players with his work ethic."

Although Smith, who had one season left on his contract, had said he would have preferred to play out the duration of his deal, he indicated at the end of the 2007 season that he knew he could get cut and added, "It's a business, pure and simple."

Re: 49ers Cut Lb Derek Smith

He played in a 3-4 defense didn't he? It might not have been the pats style 3-4 but it could still help him integrate faster tahn many other aging vets.

He's too young!!

Some of you guys are not getting it. The Pats need to get younger on defense. What's the point of signing another old guy when the Pats have Bruschi and Seau? If the Pats continue to sign these old castoffs that some people suggest then you can bet that next season will end exactly like the previous two (with the defense gassed and can't come up with a stop at the end).

Some of you guys are not getting it. The Pats need to get younger on defense. What's the point of signing another old guy when the Pats have Bruschi and Seau? If the Pats continue to sign these old castoffs that some people suggest then you can bet that next season will end exactly like the previous two (with the defense gassed and can't come up with a stop at the end).

I'm with you brother. I'd like to see them draft Ghoslton or Rivers at OLB. Move Vrabel inside with AD. and move those two at OLB on obvious passing downs.

Groom a young guy at OLB.

I think our defense needs to get older.

I'm with you brother. I'd like to see them draft Ghoslton or Rivers at OLB. Move Vrabel inside with AD. and move those two at OLB on obvious passing downs.

I'm not being facetious when I say this--would you rather have N years of Vrabel playing outside, where he plays best, or N - 1 (or 2) years of Vrabel playing inside? Because, seriously, if he moves inside full time, it will shorten his career. (He's as much as said it takes a much greater toll on him playing inside than it does playing outside.)

I'm not being facetious when I say this--would you rather have N years of Vrabel playing outside, where he plays best, or N - 1 (or 2) years of Vrabel playing inside? Because, seriously, if he moves inside full time, it will shorten his career. (He's as much as said it takes a much greater toll on him playing inside than it does playing outside.)

Move him inside. What's the deal with Seau then? He plays inside. Whose to say it will short his career? His pass rushing abilities slowed down in the last third of the season

I think maybe you don't get it. BB has coached the Pats for 8 years. In that time he has not invested a high pick in a LB. Ever. In fact, he has not even invested much time to even develop any young LBs -- TBC is the only one even close.

What BB has shown is that he prefers to stock his roster with veteran LBs -- guys who are 26+. Lately, that has skewed more to the 30+ variety.

The man likes veteran LBs. He would obviously rather build his team by restocking vet LBs every 2-3 years than by drafting young LBs.

You really don't need to "get younger" at a position that you prefer to staff with veteran players.

Vrabel should not move inside. He has already expressed his distaste for the position, and he is not as effective. He also gets banged up there.

The Pats have gotten themselves in a predicament here. It'll be interesting to see how it unfolds. Personally, I'd like to see the ILB position feature an mix of youth and experience. That means signing a guy a Derek Smith and drafting a good prospect, or possibly signing a guy like Brandon Chillar/Michael Boley. But I'm not the FO. They'll decide.

Move him inside. What's the deal with Seau then? He plays inside. Whose to say it will short his career? His pass rushing abilities slowed down in the last third of the season

Seau is an exception. He was a beast, and still is a beast. His skill and athleticism helped him make the transition. Also, 4-3 OLB translates easier into 3-4 ILB. Vrabel is a 3-4 elephant type whose transition is a lot harder.

Last edited:

Vrabel should not move inside. He has already expressed his distaste for the position, and he is not as effective. He also gets banged up there.

The Pats have gotten themselves in a predicament here. It'll be interesting to see how it unfolds. Personally, I'd like to see the ILB position feature an mix of youth and experience. That means signing a guy a Derek Smith and drafting a good prospect, or possibly signing a guy like Brandon Chillar/Michael Boley. But I'm not the FO. They'll decide.

Vrabel is not effective as an ILB?

Vrabel is not effective as an ILB?

Not as effective. His strength is the outside.

And like I said, he takes a beating there.

Not as effective. I think that that's pretty clearly the case; do you disagree?

Not as effective. I think that that's pretty clearly the case; do you disagree?

I think the clearcut answer is:

a. if they bring in an OLB will they be an upgrade over vrabel there?

b. if they bring in an ILB will Vrabel be better than that ILB?

Vrabel deserves a spot on this defense but we need to get to the QB better as we saw with the Giants. We need more playmakers

Vrabel deserves a spot on this defense but we need to get to the QB better as we saw with the Giants. We need more playmakers

I agree. But inside is not where Vrabel should go.

I think the clearcut answer is:

a. if they bring in an OLB will they be an upgrade over vrabel there?

b. if they bring in an ILB will Vrabel be better than that ILB?

Am I missing something, or did Vrabel not just put up double digit sacks this season? Vrabel's play slowed down when, get this, everyone in the front seven seemed to slow down. Vrabel is not the problem with the pass rush, the problem with the pass rush is that there were not enough bodies after Colvin went down to maintain a quality rotation of LBs. I've said elsewhere on this board, the Patriots need to re-sign or acquire enough LBs (I'd love for it to be through the draft) to maintain a six man rotation, at minimum. Colvin, Vrabes and high round draft pick (fingers crossed it's Gholston) and inside is AD, Bru/Seau, FA, or (fingers crossed) a capable pick from the first three rounds. They need viable depth, depth that they had before Colvin went down and depth that isn't too far off.

You are the one not getting it. The team has replaced veterans with veterans, not rookies. It's a deliberate move.

And, for the record, I'll take a defense that helps get the team to 18-0 and into the Super Bowl, and then only allows 17 points to the Giants.

Last edited:

Calvin Pace, Calvin Pace Calvin Pace, but one must admit, Calvin Pace. If the Pats Calvin Pace, Calvin Pace Calvin Pace Calvin Pace. Although Calvin Pace, Calvin Pace Calvin Pace, and of course, Calvin Pace. In retrospect, Calvin Pace, and naturally, Calvin Pace.

I don't know Calvin Pace what the Calvin Pace is at the Calvin Pace spot, but it's good to see we're Calvin Pacing the right questions.

Calvin Pace,

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes