1 Colts- Andrew Luck
2 Skins- Robert Griffin
3 Vikings- Matt Kalil
4 Browns- Justin Blackmon
5 Tampa- Morris Claiborne
6 Rams- Reily Reiff
7 Jags- Quinton Coples
8 Fins- Ryan Tannenhill
9 Dallas- Trent Richardson... Dallas trades up with Panthers to stop Richardson's slide
10 Bills- Michael Floyd
11 Chiefs- Dontari Poe
12 Seattle- Melvin Ingram
13 Arizona- Jonathan Martin
14 Panthers- David Decastro
15 Philly- Dre Kirkpatrick
16 Jets- Courtney Upshaw... as much as I hate giving him to the Jests
17 Cinci- Janoris Jenkins
18 Chargers- Cordy Glenn
19 Bears- Mark Barron
20 Titans- Luke Keuchly
21 Cinci- Michael Brockers... at 21, Brockers is totally in range, if BB wants to trade up for him
22 Browns- Mike Adams
23 Lions- Donta Hightower

24 Pats- Fletcher Cox... minor trade up from #27 to make sure of Cox, who is longer and more physical than Still or Worthy.

25 Broncos- Nick Perry
26 Texans- Kendall Wright
27 Steelers- Zach Brown... Steelers get this pick and a 3rd rounder from the Pats in the trade
28 Pack- Peter Konz
29 Ravens- Whitney Mercilus
30 Niners- Stephen Hill

31 Fins- Devon Still... with Still, Pats have the option to take 2 DL in the first round and reinvent the defensive front. I seriously considered doing it; I think BB would see the upside in a Cox - Wilfork - Still starting line. But I chose to drop back to #42 instead to help the secondary, earning a 2nd rounder in 2013.

32 Giants- Kelechi Osemele
33 Rams- Alshon Jeffery
34 Colts- Kevin Zeitler
35 Vikings- Stephon Gilmore
36 Tampa- Lamar Miller
37 Browns- Whichever QB... I almost feel bad for the Browns
38 Jags- Reuben Randall
39 Rams- Jerel Worthy
40 Panthers- Kendall Reyes
41 Bills- Alphonzo Dennard

42 Pats- Harrison Smith... this is higher than usual for Smith. But this is a legitimate spot if you want to be sure to get him. If he's gone, we can take an OLB here and shoot for CB at 48.

43 Seattle- Amini Silatolu
44 Chiefs- Andre Branch
45 Dallas- Alameda Ta'amu
46 Philly- Brandon Thompson
47 Jets- Vinny Curry

48 Pats- Shae McClellin... my binky OLB to round things out. Interesting that Branch and Curry both lasted into the 40s in this mock.

What do you think? Everone happy? I could imagine BB playing it like this.

The only thing I'm not entirely convinced of is whether he'd actually draft McClellin. He's so shy about drafting at OLB, but this guy fits the model of what looks for in a player.... so...

re: 48 pick mock draft - Fletcher Cox, Harrison Smith, Shea McClellin

I don't see Kirkpatrick going #15 to Philly. I could also see the Browns trading down a few spots.

My only criticisms would be that I don't think there is any chance Cox falls into the 20's, and I don't think Dallas would go for Richardson with Felix Jones and DeMarco Murray on the team already. I also don't think Philly can pass on Kuechly at 15. Other than that I like it. Good job.

#24 I'm certainly fine with getting Cox. I would think that you overpaid a bit. We should have a 5th coming back.

#42 I would be tempted to pick Branch.

#48 I don't think that Belichick is drafting an OLB here. I think that this is the place for a defensive back. There is a lot of recent love for Harrison Smith (a fine pick). What are the deficiencies of Martin, the top free safety in this draft? Another choice is a corner (Minnifield?).

Question: What are the deficiencies of Crick. I would have expected to see him in the top 48.

1 Colts- Andrew Luck
2 Skins- Robert Griffin
3 Vikings- Matt Kalil
6 Rams- Reily Reiff
7 Jags- Quinton Coples
8 Fins- Ryan Tannenhill
9 Dallas- Trent Richardson... Dallas trades up with Panthers to stop Richardson's slide
10 Bills- Michael Floyd
11 Chiefs- Dontari Poe
18 Chargers- Cordy Glenn
19 Bears- Mark Barron
20 Titans- Luke Keuchly
21 Cinci- Michael Brockers... at 21, Brockers is totally in range, if BB wants to trade up for him
22 Browns- Mike Adams

24 Pats- Fletcher Cox... minor trade up from #27 to make sure of Cox, who is longer and more physical than Still or Worthy.

25 Broncos- Nick Perry
27 Steelers- Zach Brown... Steelers get this pick and a 3rd rounder from the Pats in the trade
28 Pack- Peter Konz
30 Niners- Stephen Hill

31 Fins- Devon Still... with Still, Pats have the option to take 2 DL in the first round and reinvent the defensive front. I seriously considered doing it; I think BB would see the upside in a Cox - Wilfork - Still starting line. But I chose to drop back to #42 instead to help the secondary, earning a 2nd rounder in 2013.

33 Rams- Alshon Jeffery
34 Colts- Kevin Zeitler
36 Tampa- Lamar Miller
38 Jags- Reuben Randall
39 Rams- Jerel Worthy

42 Pats- Harrison Smith... this is higher than usual for Smith. But this is a legitimate spot if you want to be sure to get him. If he's gone, we can take an OLB here and shoot for CB at 48.

44 Chiefs- Andre Branch
47 Jets- Vinny Curry

48 Pats- Shae McClellin... my binky OLB to round things out. Interesting that Branch and Curry both lasted into the 40s in this mock.

The only thing I'm not entirely convinced of is whether he'd actually draft McClellin. He's so shy about drafting at OLB, but this guy fits the model of what looks for in a player.... so...

I would stay put at 27 and take Whitney Mercilus at 27 Crick 31 i love the Harrison Smith pick. Would also add Tommy Streeter in the later rounds. That would be my ideal draft right there. All my binkies specially Crick :rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker:

I like your thinking rook. My top 3 areas of need are 2-gap de, db and olb. You hit all of them. Give me a wr at 63. Say, Marvin Jones - Cal. I'm a happy camper.

Coby Fleener is still on the board at #48 and we don't pick him?

REPENT!

flagelly-doodly.jpg

Coby Fleener is still on the board at #48 and we don't pick him?

REPENT!

flagelly-doodly.jpg

Didn't notice that. If Manning signs with Denver, I can definitely see them picking Fleener.

I like our picks. I do see the first round going differently but we all have our opinions. If they went corner at 42 and safety at 63 I could see that as well.

1 Colts- Andrew Luck
2 Skins- Robert Griffin
3 Vikings- Matt Kalil
6 Rams- Reily Reiff
7 Jags- Quinton Coples
8 Fins- Ryan Tannenhill
There is no way whatsoever that Dallas drafts Richardson at 14, never mind trading up to 9 for him.

10 Bills- Michael Floyd
11 Chiefs- Dontari Poe
This isn't happening either. Philly doesn't know what to do w/ the CBs they already have.

I can't imagine that the Bungles' fanbase would be very pleased with this police blotter waiting to happen. It would be a typical Marvin Lewis move, however.

18 Chargers- Cordy Glenn
19 Bears- Mark Barron
20 Titans- Luke Keuchly
22 Browns- Mike Adams
They'd be foolish to take him ahead of Konz or Zeitler, but I can still see this happening.

I love the pick, but it's a very high cost to move up only 3 spots w/o something else in return. Cox will be long gone by then, anyway, so the objection is moot. Besides, when was the last time Bill traded w/ PitsDirt?

25 Broncos- Nick Perry
28 Pack- Peter Konz
30 Niners- Stephen Hill

I don't see Bill trading w/ the Doofins either.

33 Rams- Alshon Jeffery
34 Colts- Kevin Zeitler
36 Tampa- Lamar Miller
I wouldn't be surprised if they double-up on CBs instead.

38 Jags- Reuben Randall
39 Rams- Jerel Worthy

If Bill's convinced that Smith is fluid enough for Centerfield, then I'm cool w/ this pick too.

44 Chiefs- Andre Branch
47 Jets- Vinny Curry

Bill would be foolish to bypass the fast-rising McClellin at 48 if Pass-Rusher has again been ignored with earlier picks. In fact, he would be lucky if McClellin's still available at 48.

Bill would be foolish to bypass the fast-rising McClellin at 48 if Pass-Rusher has again been ignored with earlier picks. In fact, he would be lucky if McClellin's still available at 48.

I'd prefer Ronnell Lewis. Stud special teamer and has the flexibilty to play inside at ILB if needed. Probably projects as a better pass rusher too. They have v similar combines but Lewis had much much better bench reps (36 to 19). Tough call though but from what I've seen of both, I think Ronnell Lewis projects better to the NFL.

But does Lewis project better to the Pats' definition of a 3-4 OLB?
(Ass-uming, of course, that Bill plays more of a traditional 3-4 than last year.)

And I would have no problem if Bill drafted both of them, either.

But does Lewis project better to the Pats' definition of a 3-4 OLB?
(Ass-uming, of course, that Bill plays more of a traditional 3-4 than last year.)

And I would have no problem if Bill drafted both of them, either.

From NFL.COM

STRENGTHS Lewis is a strong player against the run and can hold the edge well despite often giving up 50 pounds to tackles. He has strong arms to shed blocks and is very good defending the run; Lewis can engage, read, shed and move towards the ball with ease and has a burst to get to the ball. He has the speed to run down ball carriers to the outside and is a good striker once he gets to the ball. He is a tireless pass rusher who relies more on will than he does technique. He is active in the box and has some positional versatility.

WEAKNESSES Lewis can hesitate at times when reacting to the pass and will struggle early working in a zone coverage due to poor recognition and hips. He did not get many opportunities at Oklahoma to cover downfield -- he was tasked more with mauling at the line than he was dropping back. He has decent flexibility but struggles to reset his weight after dropping into the flats, and doesn't have the footwork to gather himself when covering running backs. He is a slow-twitched athlete who could struggle working against more explosive players in the NFL.

#24 I'm certainly fine with getting Cox. I would think that you overpaid a bit. We should have a 5th coming back.

#42 I would be tempted to pick Branch.

#48 I don't think that Belichick is drafting an OLB here. I think that this is the place for a defensive back. There is a lot of recent love for Harrison Smith (a fine pick). What are the deficiencies of Martin, the top free safety in this draft? Another choice is a corner (Minnifield?).

Question: What are the deficiencies of Crick. I would have expected to see him in the top 48.

I think Branch is a consideration at 31, so he's certainly a consideration at 42. Could work that way, for certain.

Crick was less effective without Suh playing next to him (surprise!). Really, the fact that Worthy dropped to 39 devalued the position in this mock.

I like Minnifield, but I think he'd be probably be there for us at 63.

I've never seen McClellin higher than the mid-40s, but it only takes on GM to fall in love and anyone could go anywhere.

I think the lesson for me is that there are good players well into the 2nd round this year. Players that are considerations at 30 could easily still be there at 40. The choice between players isn't as much about pure talent as it is about roster space. Even teams that talk about BPA strategy end up preferring players at positions where they have gaps.

Here's my thinking with the Dallas trade to #9 for Richardson.

Turns out, there are very few teams that actually need a RB. Cinci. Jets. anyone else?

Playing the board straight up, Richardson would freefall to 16 or 17. But I dont believe in a real draft process, where trades happen, he could ever drop that low. Someone with only a marginal need at RB, would be opportunistic and make a move up to take him at a point of good value.

Here's want makes Dallas a candidate. They've been pretty aggressive in FA to fill all their obviousl positions of need. They have picks that they can use to improve the team, and the freedom to use them without being held captive to multiple obligations. They have some great RBs already, but Richardson is still an upgrade. And they could probably flip Felix or Murray for draft picks, and still come out stronger on the other end.

I think the Chiefs might be able to swing it, too. Maybe the Packers, if they can find a new starting Center somewhere other than Konz.

Turns out, there are very few teams that actually need a RB. Cinci. Jets. anyone else?

Playing the board straight up, Richardson would freefall to 16 or 17. But I dont believe in a real draft process, where trades happen, he could ever drop that low. Someone with only a marginal need at RB, would be opportunistic and make a move up to take him at a point of good value.

Here's want makes Dallas a candidate. They've been pretty aggressive in FA to fill all their obviousl positions of need. They have picks that they can use to improve the team, and the freedom to use them without being held captive to multiple obligations. They have some great RBs already, but Richardson is still an upgrade. And they could probably flip Felix or Murray for draft picks, and still come out stronger on the other end.

I think the Chiefs might be able to swing it, too. Maybe the Packers, if they can find a new starting Center somewhere other than Konz.

I think Richardson's a lock for the Bucs personally. Even if Claiborne is still on the board. you don't sign the best OG in the game for nothing. They are in a win-win position. they get Trent or Claiborne depending on the Browns.

Completely agree with your Pats trades ...

My only disagreement would be the order in which they select Smith and McClellin. I think its 42 for McClellin and 48 for Smith.

I'll go one pick more and think they will take CB Josh Robinson at 63.

I think Branch is a consideration at 31, so he's certainly a consideration at 42. Could work that way, for certain.

Crick was less effective without Suh playing next to him (surprise!). Really, the fact that Worthy dropped to 39 devalued the position in this mock.

I like Minnifield, but I think he'd be probably be there for us at 63.

ERRRR! Wrong. Crick put up identical numbers the year after Suh left.

I absolutely agree 100% with you having Dallas jump up to take Richardson if that option presents itself. A guy like Richardson banging into the Eagles and Giants D Line for 20 plus times per game is going to wear them down and open things up for Romo with the play action.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes