PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

48 of 114 Posters picked the Bengals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFanSince74

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I had a little time after lunch today and went throught the Official Week 4 "Predict the Score" thread for last weeks game.

I found infromally that the tally was 56 for a Pats win vs. 48 for a Bengals win (I'm sure I missed a few, but I don't think I'm off by much. That means that 42% of us gave in to all the negative vibes, rumours and "body language" talk of last week and lost faith in our guys. (BTW:you can check my own prediction at Post #88--Pats to win by 24--17).

And, one poster had the score exactly right but predicted that the Bengals would be the winners and that the score wouldn't really be "THAT close" because it was a game of "men vs. boys," with the Patriots obvioiusly on the junior side of that equation...

No wonder Gillette goes quiet at the first sign of trouble.

I admit that I was one of those who picked the Bengals. As punishment proceed to tar and feather me at will :eek:

Bobs My Uncle said:
I admit that I was one of those who picked the Bengals. As punishment proceed to tar and feather me at will :eek:

No, we'll hold the tar until you pick against the pats in the SB, for now a bop on the head with a soft feather pillow...

I reasoned out that the Bengals would win but picked the Pats on pure faith. Does that make me a homer or a believer?

PatsFanSince74 said:
I had a little time after lunch today and went throught the Official Week 4 "Predict the Score" thread for last weeks game.

I found infromally that the tally was 56 for a Pats win vs. 48 for a Bengals win (I'm sure I missed a few, but I don't think I'm off by much. That means that 42% of us gave in to all the negative vibes, rumours and "body language" talk of last week and lost faith in our guys. (BTW:you can check my own prediction at Post #88--Pats to win by 24--17).

And, one poster had the score exactly right but predicted that the Bengals would be the winners and that the score wouldn't really be "THAT close" because it was a game of "men vs. boys," with the Patriots obvioiusly on the junior side of that equation...

Well, I did pick the Bengals as winners, but for me it had nothing to do with giving in to media hype. I have just been doing some math based on points given up and points scored and my equations said that the Bengals had it. Glad the math was wrong. :D

We had good reason to pick the Bengals. They we're 3-0 and looking unbeatable, while the Pats had a sluggish start to the season.

I'm glad I was wrong though.

Seymour93 said:
We had good reason to pick the Bengals. They we're 3-0 and looking unbeatable, while the Pats had a sluggish start to the season.

I'm glad I was wrong though.

OK, if we're betting our hard-earned money then there might be occasions when we have a good reason to pick against the Pats (but then who out here would bet against the Pats? I know I don't.

But as a fan, I BELIEVE and WILL that WE WIN at all times (unless we have a really lousy team a la the days of Rod Rust et al).

What do I mean by this? Here's an example: We were 14 point dogs, but I picked the Pats not only to beat the Rams in SB XXXVIII, but to freakin blow them out, and if Tebucky Jones' TD wasn't called back on a Hold, we would have blown them out...

I'm happy to say I wasn't one of those 48, but I did think the game would be A LOT closer than it was. Yesterday sure was a great day!

I would have picked the Bengals prior to the Denver game.

In my pre-season predictions I had this down as our first loss of the season....but after the loss at home to Denver I changed my prediction to a win over Cincy based on how well Tom and the Pats always play after a stinker.

This team isn't that much different from the SB teams of the past few years, in some ways (D-line, O-line, RB's) it's better and in other areas there are some question marks but overall it's still the Pats, no taking a knee when the season's on the line!

I picked the Pats, but I am still doing terrible in the standings for the year.. :(

Two Eight said:
In my pre-season predictions I had this down as our first loss of the season....but after the loss at home to Denver I changed my prediction to a win over Cincy based on how well Tom and the Pats always play after a stinker.

This team isn't that much different from the SB teams of the past few years, in some ways (D-line, O-line, RB's) it's better and in other areas there are some question marks but overall it's still the Pats, no taking a knee when the season's on the line!

Right on! See YOU in Miami in February!

I admit, I picked the Cincinnati Bengals to win but I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition!

(The door flies open and in come three evil types in red robes.)

Cardinal Ximinez: NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise! ...Surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency! Our three weapons are fear, and surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our four...no... Amongst our weapons.... Hmf... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surpr.... I'll come in again.
(They turn back and escape out into the hall, waiting again for their cue.)

Poster: I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition.

(They burst in again.)
Ximinez: NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! ...Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms - Oh damn! (turns to Biggles) I - I can't say it - you'll have to say it.

Biggles: What?

Ximinez: You'll have to say the bit about "Our chief weapons are..."

Biggles: (rather horrified) I couldn't do that...

Spanish_Inquisition.png

Last edited:
ATippett56 said:
I admit, I picked the Cincinnati Bengals to win but I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition!

(The door flies open and in come three evil types in red robes.)

Cardinal Ximinez: NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise! ...Surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency! Our three weapons are fear, and surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our four...no... Amongst our weapons.... Hmf... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surpr.... I'll come in again.
(They turn back and escape out into the hall, waiting again for their cue.)

Poster: I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition.

(They burst in again.)
Ximinez: NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! ...Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms - Oh damn! (turns to Biggles) I - I can't say it - you'll have to say it.

Biggles: What?

Ximinez: You'll have to say the bit about "Our chief weapons are..."

Biggles: (rather horrified) I couldn't do that...

and you left out the thumb screws!

Hardly anyone gave the Pats a chance. I know I didnt. I know 80% of the pundits out there didnt. I know much of the fanbase did it. But so silly of me. Why the hell did I doubt the Patriots?!

I wasn't here to post my pick last week but, I've got to be honest, I would have picked the Bengals as well after the Denver game. They were so flat against Denver and the Bungals were on a roll at the time. I should have had more faith in Belichick and the team.:rolleyes:

I think it's wonderful how the predict the score contest brings cheerleading homerism and competitive ambition into conflict. Obviously, for a lot of people the latter won. (Personally, I picked just the same as you, PFS74 -- no better, no worse! But I did so with my heart, not my head. I'm glad I listened to it for once.)

I picked the Pats by one, but only did so as a fan. After the Denver game and reading what the pundits had to say, I expected to be in for a long afternoon.

PatsFanSince74 said:

I predicted the Bengals would win minus any of the men vs boys BS. In my defense, you had a team coming off of a poor offensive showing, a team with question marks on offense, a team with a banged up secondary, playing a team with an explosive offense, playing a team that had just come off a win over last year's SB champs and playing a team in their stadium. To me this likely equaled a loss. Happy to be wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back