Welcome to PatsFans.com

475:1

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

2. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That's not even remotely right. The company I work for grosses over 1 billion and at worst its 20:1

3. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

4. khayos

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

5. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I didn't make up these #s, salaries do...

and I'm also not reporting on these #s, CNN, the AFL CIO, the economic policy institute, and USA today are.

So quick to defend CEOs, huh?

6. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +484 / 8 / -4

#75 Jersey

I am not sure that one helps your argument.

$9 million/475 - $18,947

I guarantee you that is not the average pay for workers nationwide never mind the S&P 500.

Further on in that article, I noticed this:

Well that's a relief.

I think that executive compensation is completely out of whack, but I don't see the data to support the idea that they are paid 500 times what a worker is.

This article falls into the same trap as your original post: comparing the wages for all workers to the pay for executives at the largest companies.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  7. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

If the stat is an average, then you can't pick a company and say it does not work. What it means tho, is that 475;1 is skewed even higher with the bigger companies (if that is an average).

8. khayos

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If someone is managing 20,000 employees then it's much different than 5000 employees or even 1000 employees.

9. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +484 / 8 / -4

#75 Jersey

It should make shareholders yack the most.

This is a blog which doesn't cite the source of this table:

[​IMG]

This one seems to indicate a number that is less that half of what the first claims:

[​IMG]

This one looks like it came from a term paper (Group 6 from Louisiana Tech)?

[​IMG]

Mostly single-malt scotch, Cuban cigars and hookers I would guess.

10. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Thats not a trap...its the truth. somehow you are not counting ALL workers in a company as actual workers?

what classifies as an actual worker? someone who makes over $50/hr? full time people? A white guy?

A worker in china, is still a worker. Someone pushing minimum wage flippin burgers is still a worker. Its comparing what the average AMERICAN CEO gets in comparason to the average WORKER.

We as a nation have seen our greatest debt, our middle class shrinking, our jobs shipped off, and our CEO's are making out like bandits...at a record level too! Y'all can sit there and make all sorts of excuses, like its the unions fault, or teachers and firemen...but its not difficult to see that capitalism breeds greed, and envy. Defending these slave masters is the latter.

11. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +441 / 11 / -14

T Brady makes about 1,000 times as much as the average worker it isn't fair. :rolleyes:

12. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Brady will earn base salaries of $5.75 million in 2011; $5.75 million in 2012; $9.75 million in 2013; and $9.75 million in 2014.

Brady base salary 2010 : $3.5 million

Average NFL player 2010: $1.9 Million

Median NFL player 2010: $770,000

Brady makes 1.8X the average player (2010) and even if we take his 2014 salary and throw in his $15 million signing bonus for that year and compare it to median player income from 4 years earlier....we get....

32X the salary

But if you wanna keep comparing apples to diapers....go ahead.

13. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

14. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +441 / 11 / -14

Much more that the maintenance crew people at Patriots place make or the counter workers in the store. Just not fair.

Football players are overpaid relative to the vendors at the stadiums.

15. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +551 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I'll agree CEO's are over paid...way over paid. But we can't legislate how much people make in this country, so what's your solution?

Like someone said, shareholders should be the ones to reign in the pay. The last thing we need is gov't regulated salaries...man, that would be...well, let's just agree it's unthinkable.

16. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +892 / 7 / -3

So first you use cherry picked data that takes the highest paid CEO's, from the largest companies in the world, and compares them to the average worker from the BLS. Then you take Tom Brady's "base pay" and compare it to his fellow players, as opposed to the "workers" at Gillette, or even those same people your link used from the BLS. Um, at least be consistent HD.

Tom Brady makes $20 million per more or less. Paul Pierce makes $20 million per too. Carl "bleepin" Crawford makes $20 million per. Arod makes like $30 million per. None of these people run multi billion dollar, tens of thousand employee, multi national corporations. Why are CEO's eeeeeeevil for making that kind of money, but athletes immune? I say this as someone who thinks the CEO salaries at some of these firms are outrageous. Still, like PR mentioned, I don't think you can, nor should, legislate what people in private industry make. What I would do from a legislative stand point, is eliminate any tax breaks or bennies a lot of the corporations get.

17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +441 / 11 / -14

See Brady is paid what the GM and owner think he is worth to the franchise.

CEO's are paid what the shareholders feel what they are worth.

If you aren't a shareholder it is really none of your business. If you are a share holder voice your opinion if you don't think the CEO is worth the $$$$ sell your stock and invest in a company that is run in a way you approve of.

Very simple.

Funny people complain about greed and envy then spend their time worrying about what other people make when it is none of their business.

Sounds a lot like Envy and greed. Mostly envy.

18. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +556 / 22 / -19

CEOs aren't paid what shareholders think they're worth. CEO's are paid what boards think they're worth, and boards are a country club of like-minded people each scratching the others back. Otherwise, failed CEOs wouldn't get such handsome rewards or, in the worst case, golden parachutes. If Brady wasn't part of a powerful labor union, he'd earn a lot less. The players union of the NFL has been very effective over the years at raising the standard by which players are paid. That's one of the reasons why Brady, to his credit, is active in the labor union.

19. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +418 / 8 / -4

It's really not quite so simple.

You're either naive or you're being disingenuous.

As patters pointed out, CEOs are paid what boards want to pay them, and shareholders really only have a say if they're large investors. Even then, it's difficult to effect change -- look at the fights the Icahns of the world get involved in, and he's incredibly wealthy and influential and taking relatively sizable minority positions.

Many, if not most, public corporations have various mechanisms in place to protect management, including CEOs and boards. Some states don't permit some of these mechanisms, but for the most part corporations don't practice ideal governance from a shareholder perspective.

20. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +441 / 11 / -14

Like I say if you don't like the way the company is run (which of course includes the board) DON"T BUY THE STOCK. If you are evaluating the company as an investor (ie small owner) I would consider the board as part of that evaluation process if you don;t you are a fool.

In any event people who are complain about what the average CEO makes have no financial interest in the company so why should they have any say on executive or employee compensation?

Should the government determine what YOU are entitled to relative to YOUR employees?

I would say no.