Welcome to PatsFans.com

46 percent of Mississiippi Republicans oppose interracial marriage

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +497 / 2 / -9

America has come a long way, 40 years ago it would have been 95% 60 years ago it would have been 100%.

:bricks:
  3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

So about half of the Republicans lag behind by 60 years. I guess that's progress.

:bricks::bricks:
  4. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +497 / 2 / -9

To see progress all one has to do is "look around" I remember when water was poured into beer as a silent warning of "don't come in here again" that went on right in Cambridge.

Also, to see progress all one has to do is attend one of my family cookouts.
    :singing::singing::singing:
  5. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

There's no soft-soaping that poll but before everyone one gets all puffy chested I wonder how much different the results would be in Mississippi if white Dems were asked the same question. I have a feeling they'd poll way differently there than here in MA for example.
  6. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +497 / 2 / -9

I wonder what the results would be if they dared to ask The Black Dems that same question especially the Jeremiah Wright Congregation and the Louis Farrakhan gang?
  7. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

My assumption is that the white Dems. would be opposed at a much lower rate then Rep. It definitely would much higher then a Ma. poll. It hasn't been that long ago when dancing was outlawed in some of these places. Proms are still subject to restrictions (mixed dating). I'm not really that old, but when I lived outside of Waco, it was illegal to dance at Baylor.
    There was a reason why Haley Barbour did not voice concerns on some of the recent historic initiatives in his state.
  8. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

The south is way behind on race period. I'll concede Dems are a little more tolerant but I think a lot of that is for appearance.
  9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +409 / 5 / -2

They wouldn't ask white Dems cuz PPP is a democratic party polling firm.

Regardless of the methodology, or who was asked, really Mississippi? It's the year 2011 people. WTF? :mad:
  10. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +510 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

It's a regional thing, not a party thing. I bet a very low number of Repubs in CT would oppose interracial marriage. Come on, Patters, you're better and smarter than that crap you've posted today.

Parts of the south. Growing up in Va Beach, I saw far more interracial couples than I've seen anywhere else, except maybe the Raleigh-Charlotte corridor.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  11. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I think it's that conservative part of his gray matter that is causing him to mistrust a group of people.:rolleyes:
  12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +491 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

I have to agree here. This part of Virginia is a huge hodge-podge of bi-racial relationships of all kinds. No one would blink an eye at anything or anyone, I don't think.

In fact, when I first moved here I was picking MrP up at the Pentagon train station and I was the only one who stopped for a second and stared in delighted amazement as 8 saffron-robed Buddhist monks, all carrying Macy's shopping bags, crossed the street.

It's just not something you see in Indiana.
  13. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -13

Absolutely correct RW. This pole tells us about residents of Mississippi, but NOTHING about replicans on a nation level.

The purpose (and Patters should know better) of the poll was to attempt to paint ALL republicans on a national basis from a stupid little poll in.....MISSISSIPPI of all places.

Talk about having an agenda!

BTW....I'd LOVE to walk hand-in-hand with a beautiful chocolate woman down the streets of "Anywhere" Mississippi!! Screw all the backwoods folks!
  14. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +409 / 5 / -2

I used to go out with a half jamaican girl. Mmmmmmmm....but I digress.

The people polled should be neutered, but the regional aspect has to be considered. It's not representitive of all "republicans", but that is the desired effect it's makers want with respect to the general public. We're a headline society. A 20 minutes or less, drive-thru, instant microwave dinner or it's free type people. How many will see that and use it to point out how racist "republicans" are. Those republicans who replied certainly are, but is a pub/dem in Mass identical to one in North Dakota? Of course not.

One thing I'd like to point out about polls like this is how they can get a desired result by polling people in specific places through automated telephonic polling. For example, if I /called/polled people in Chelsea Mass and asked them constroversial questions I'm sure I could get some sensational results. Same for Roxbury or Southie maybe. Those same questions asked of people in Winchester or the Berkshires would likely have completely different results. So while we can say without a doubt that there are some seriously disturbed racist people in Mississippi, you can't certify that all Mississipians, or even people in different parts of that state, all feel this way.
  15. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

Actually this poll represents nothing. It is a push poll that is weighted and the polling company won't release the weighting.

Explained at the link:

Of a certain Mississippi poll on marriage, and of those who make hay of it | RedState

Apparently a dishonest smear by the pollster, to fool the gullible and play on people's prejudices ironically.
  16. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -13

17. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I actually thought the number was flawed...I thought it should be higher and prolly would be if the Bubbas down there had the guts to tell the truth. Obviously many of them did. I'm betting there were many who lied because they don't want to be seen as a racist.

Same would go for Massachusetts. Lotsa people would openly consent (as if that were ever required these days) to inter-racial marriage...as long as it wasn't their kid.
  18. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -13

For the life of me, I can't understand why somone of ANY race would be against interracial marriage. It's just skin color....WTF??

But you're prolly right that many people are afraid to admit that they're against it. A lot of people seem to worry about what others think too much. We'd be better off if people would just be honest and admit their true beliefs. That's why I don't like political correctness.
  19. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +510 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Very true. DC/NoVa has to be one of the most diverse parts of the country. I go down there on business almost 15-20 times a year and it's quite the change of pace from central CT. I'm one of the deranged ones who doesn't mind NoVa in the least. After all, I'm a proud Virginian!

But...

NoVa, while technically in the south, is definitely not very southern feeling, except that there's a Chick Fil-A in Fairfax. :p
  20. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +195 / 2 / -2

How was it a push poll, other than the guy at your link saying so? (I did scan the link, and it didn't explain that, as far as I can tell.)