Welcome to PatsFans.com

45th Anniversary of "Bloody Sunday"...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Mar 8, 2010.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

An event that galvanized my politics forever, remember succintly the black and white images of this horrific event.. people like George Wallace became prominent.. for many of these "democrats" it was their last stand as the drifted towards the right with the ensuing civil rights legislation...

The Associated Press: Lewis remembers 'Bloody Sunday' march, beatings

Another description..

Selma to Montgomery marches - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Didnt read the article, so...

is it just me, or does Bono seem a lot younger than that?

anyway....
  3. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Different event in a different country.

He turns 50 in May.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  4. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

It's also where Obama claimed his parents met. How old is Obama again? :confused2:
  5. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

:rofl: :rofl:
  6. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

Source:confused::confused::confused: everything I have read says that they met in College in Hawaii...

Without regard it speaks volumes for our sometimes visiting Mod who hijacks a thread with disregard for the rules...
  7. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -8

Thank GOD this is an issue thread and not a "Left vs Right" thread. Of course issues like this were and are, 100% non-partisan and I remember it well. My town was full of democrats, yet so many were racists. Looking back, it all makes sense now. Racism had nothing to do with partisan politics!
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I believe most people in Boston were Democrats in the early 1970's. Racism was rampant during the bussing era, regardless what revisionists want you to believe.

The Republican Party used to be the party that supported black people's efforts for equality. It still is I believe in as much as "equality" can be measured. It's only been recently (the 60's) that the Democrats have come around. But make no mistake...NO ONE in the southern states wanted anything for blacks prior to the 1970's-Republican or Democrat. Almost all effort for racial equality came from the north, both Republican and Democrat.
  9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -7

Cambridge Mass today is one of the most diversified liberal citys in the country, when I was growing up Cambridge was one of the most Racist citys in the country everything was Black/White even the Central Sq Theatre the Blacks had their own section to sit in, the bars all along Mass Ave would right in front of everybody pour water in a Black mans beer if he wandered in there, the Blacks had their own bars and that is where they were supposed to stay, Cambridge during the 30's & 40's was 90% democrat and City Hall was run by democrats, I was a democrat if you wern't a democrat you were treated as though you were an Enemy Of Mankind, if you met a new girl and she took you home to meet her father the first thing he would say to you was "are you a democrat"
    and they all were Racist Bastards.
    In the days of The Real American Racism the democrats were right up front leading the band.
  10. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

1981 city council reorganization fiasco. 1990 Charles Stuart case. 2001 state legislature redistricting plan lawsuit. And anything coming out of Chuck Turner's mouth recently.

It is still there festering since busing...
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  11. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

"This young man named Barack Obama got one of those tickets and came over to this country. He met this woman whose great great-great-great-grandfather had owned slaves; but she had a good idea there was some craziness going on because they looked at each other and they decided that we know that the world as it has been it might not be possible for us to get together and have a child. There was something stirring across the country because of what happened in Selma, Alabama, because some folks are willing to march across a bridge. So they got together and Barack Obama Jr. was born." - Senator Barack Obama Selma Voting Rights March
    Commemoration, Brown Chapel A.M.E Church March 4, 2007

I was waiting for what now has become your boilerplate response. Once again it's not off topic. You should learn about conversation. And about the president you voted for and continue to make excuses for. :rolleyes:
  12. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

It is a thread hijack, but who cares the mods are situational role models..

"something stirring across the country because of what happened in Selma" is not saying they met there... quite a bit of difference..

BTW do not assume, do not make excuses for Obama... just try to show the ignorance, lies and ineptitude of the right...
  13. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

So to you, this (I'm assuming the highlited part got your attention) can be interpreted as "Obama's parents met in Selma"??...:eek:...Did you just scan the words and pull out nouns? ..."met woman", "Selma", "Obama"...

Is that what you read in this link?