PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

45 or 47?? When will we know if this will happen..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I know there has been a lot of talk about the increase in the game day roster from 45 to 47...Does anyone know when the vote will take place and what the chances are for that happening? I know that a few years ago there was a push to have that increase by 2 (but that it was only 2 special team players that could NOT be used otherwise..) but in many ways it makes sense. As I believe Felger stated, this would give Troy a spot here.

BB does not think this is a good idea:

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...2007/03/25/getting_in_the_coachs_head/?page=2

On increasing the game-day roster from 45 players to 47: "I don't think changing would be good for the game, I think there is too much specialization as it is. With this, you might have guys like kickoff guys, long field goal guys, short field goal guys, long punters, short punters, some kind of specialty receiver. I think you'd lose the flow of the game.

"I also think fans want to see the same guys out there instead of situational guys -- a guy for this, a guy for that, or like 20 different relief pitchers, one for every inning, one for every batter. It's hard to keep track of all that.

"I came into the league back in the dark ages when you had 38 guys, and that was plenty. Now it's 45 and it's not enough.Continued...

I think [this change] would increase the number of players on injured reserve. There are times you go into a game and if you have six, seven guys that are hurt, you still feel like you have 45-46 to play. But if you feel like the opponent has 47, you're probably going to put a guy on IR and try to get a healthier guy as you get closer to that 53 number."

BB does not think this is a good idea:

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...2007/03/25/getting_in_the_coachs_head/?page=2

On increasing the game-day roster from 45 players to 47: "I don't think changing would be good for the game, I think there is too much specialization as it is. With this, you might have guys like kickoff guys, long field goal guys, short field goal guys, long punters, short punters, some kind of specialty receiver. I think you'd lose the flow of the game.

:D - Great minds think alike:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=50748

Pats1 said:
To prevent players from getting too specialized. The more players a team has available on gamedays, the more they can have player A in to do this and player X to do that.

And since inactives are posted before the game, teams can have an idea of which injured players will not be playing.

The guy (BB) always has a great answer, doesn't he?

To us what seems obvious, is not to this man, one thing I have always appreciated about BB is his intelligence and really deep understanding of the game..

Once again, BB surprises me with his reasoning on gameday inactives. He maintains a versitile roster and the lower limit hurts his enemies. The guy is wicked smaaat!

Once again, BB surprises me with his reasoning on gameday inactives. He maintains a versitile roster and the lower limit hurts his enemies. The guy is wicked smaaat!

I hope they implement the rule for 1 yr so Troy can make this team and play in his 5th Super Bowl. Without the 2 extra spots, they don't have room for him.

I hope they implement the rule for 1 yr so Troy can make this team and play in his 5th Super Bowl. Without the 2 extra spots, they don't have room for him.

Not so. The rule in question concerns game day actives, not roster spots. The Pats have the same 53 slots this year as before.

That being said, baring early WR or nickle back injuries, there is likely NOT a spot for Troy on the '07 roster.

see ive always thought there should be more active in case of in game injuries

Not so. The rule in question concerns game day actives, not roster spots. The Pats have the same 53 slots this year as before.

That being said, baring early WR or nickle back injuries, there is likely NOT a spot for Troy on the '07 roster.

Ok - I agree. I was assuming that Troy wasn't going to play for the Pats if BB told him he was going to be eating hot dogs with Le Kevin Smith and Marquis Hill on gameday at the local sport pub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down