PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

43 yard XP? Competition committee is discussing it.

It's not like the game lacks excitement. If they move it back at all, I'd be okay with the 8(at most) and making it a 25 yarder. Even now, it's not automatic. Bengals missed the playoffs in 06 due to a missed XP. Missed XP may very well have cost the vikings a super bowl back in 09. They missed a field goal vs chicago witch ended up being an OT loss I believe. They beat the saints with HFA and take down the colts. And of course, the infamous "Charlie Brown play" was the length of an extra point.

Put the ball on the 20-yard-line for a one-point kick to make it a 37-yarder and more equitable in games played out-doors.

If they want to go for two, I'd put the ball on the 3-yard line and let 'em have at it. I like this idea a lot. The one-point kick is a waste of time and inflates kickers' point totals.

My guess is that two-point conversion tries would skyrocket.

So Adam Vinatieri would now have to hit arguably the most clutch kick in NFL history TWICE for us to beat the Raiders in 2001? Seriously, we're wanting this to happen?

There are not words to explain what a horrible idea this really is. I can't wait until important late season games start getting decided by which way the wind is blowing when teams score touchdowns. Pure unmitigated foolishness!

When the obit of the NFL is written, the cause of death will be this corrupt little cabal known as the Competition committee whose tentacles of influence seem to not have limits.

Sure, when it seems like half your games are decided by awful officiating and which team is affected the worse; lets make the rest of the games decided by the wind. Gotta love this XFL stupidity.

As for the distance, I think it's important to make it so that the percentage of made PAT's is more than double the percentage of successful 2-pt conversions. If it's less than that, the mathematically better play over the long term becomes the 2-pt, and I prefer to keep that as a strategic/desperation option, not the norm.

I'd like the 2-pt try to more often be the correct choice.

So Adam Vinatieri would now have to hit arguably the most clutch kick in NFL history TWICE for us to beat the Raiders in 2001? Seriously, we're wanting this to happen?

Not unless they also change the rules to offer PATs after FGs.

Or you could say that he'd have to outkick the Raiders' kicker -- Janikowski's predecessor? -- in clutch kicks by 1, just as he actually did.

It's an extremely stupid idea. With the tendencies of the current NFL hierarchy, that means that it's destined to happen.

And by the way, what I'd really like to see is PAT kicks totally abolished, and replaced by a range of distances from which to try 1-, 2- or possibly 3-point conversions.

Not unless they also change the rules to offer PATs after FGs.

Or you could say that he'd have to outkick the Raiders' kicker -- Janikowski's predecessor? -- in clutch kicks by 1, just as he actually did.

I believe hes talking about the PAT after the brady tochdown.

I got it!!!!

we'll make the extra point a Frisbee toss!!! Yeah...and the opposing team gets to have one of those trained jumping dogs to defend the upright...the kicker...er..thrower...tosses the Friosbee and the assigned roster spot dog handler let's Fido go and jump up trying to catch the disc!!! UNREAL EXCITEMENT!!! TREMENDOUS CHANGE!!!

just what is needed....then we can look into tee shirt cannons launching nerf footballs on kickoffs...YAY!!!

How's about five points for getting a nerf ball through the uprights from the 30... ten points if blindfolded; 20 points if accomplished by a blind-folded hottie in a wet tee shirt!

The most boring play in football are the victory formation snaps and the clock killing plays leading up to game winning/tying field goal attempts. We need to ban those and require teams to actually try to make yards on every play.

The most boring play in football are the victory formation snaps and the clock killing plays leading up to game winning/tying field goal attempts. We need to ban those and require teams to actually try to make yards on every play.

Assuming this isn't satirical (which it may be... my satire sensors are wonky today), how would you propose they do that? I'm actually legitimately interested as a thought exercise, this isn't meant to be rhetorical.

Assuming this isn't satirical (which it may be... my satire sensors are wonky today), how would you propose they do that? I'm actually legitimately interested as a thought exercise, this isn't meant to be rhetorical.

Oh, it was all about the sarcasm. The idea that the XP has to go, or be radically overhauled because it's a boring play, is an extremely silly one, and I was attempting to point that out by using other, even more 'boring', plays as examples.

Oh, it was all about the sarcasm. The idea that the XP has to go, or be radically overhauled because it's a boring play, is an extremely silly one, and I was attempting to point that out by using other, even more 'boring', plays as examples.

Bah, should have followed my instincts. Poe's Law in effect.

That's just a low rent, XFL type of gimmick (EDIT: Your other post said this was a sarcastic comment, but some people actually support the idea). I don't not want league rules to mandate the type of plays a team must run based on game situation. If a team has the lead late in the game, then they've earned the right to kneel on the ball.

Interesting idea. However I wish they would just do away with the extra point altogether.

Here is what I think: A TD is still worth 6. You can either take a free point to get to 7 or you can go for 2 to get try to get 8.

Bah, should have followed my instincts. Poe's Law in effect.

No worries. Herm Edwards would probably be happy to give you some ideas on how to implement such a rule, and Joe Pisarcik would probably love the idea of someone else potentially taking his place as the face of why the victory formation is used. :)

The XFL had the rule that inside 2 minutes, if the team with the lead had the ball, they had to advance the ball at least a yard or the clock would stop. So there were no kneel-downs.

I understand the appeal of this rule because it certainly keeps things interesting late in games. If there is a minute left in a close game and you're losing and out of time outs, and the other team has the ball, you've still got a fighting chance. However, as I said before, IMHO any team with a late lead has earned the right to run whatever plays they want.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back