Welcome to PatsFans.com

40 years ago today.. the Kent State Massacre..

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, May 4, 2010.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +244 / 9 / -26

"4 Dead in Ohio" is not only a haunting antiwar anthem, but a reminder of one of a very significant event in american history.. the Ohio National Guard, fired 67 shots into a crowd of demonstrators in Kent State.. 13 were injured and 4 died.. this ignited the anti war movement and was one of the issues that led to Richard Nixon's downfall..

The Nixon comments that we would start to bomb Cambodia ignited this furor, as the plan was to expand the war in Southeast asia.. in Kent State there were demonstrations, and two days prior the protestors burnt down a ROTC bldg.. but these were unarmed students shot in the midst of military madness....

What ensued was probably the greatest mobilization of anything ever witnessed, as most of all of the colleges and universities shut down as a result of the student strikes.. never seen so much anger by a group of people after that senseless act...

1970 Kent State shootings are an enduring history lesson - USATODAY.com

And of course there is a comparison made by some that the Tea Party is a comparable movement, which is at best Epic Fail.. and of course World Net Daily has discovered that the guardsman were shot at.. and of course that J. Edgar Hoover botched the investigation.. if he could have J. Edgar would have placed the blame precisely on the student protestors.. but the evidence was as it is now a slaughter of innocents protesting an unjust war...
  2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +308 / 3 / -13

What a piece if crap, bullsh1t thread this is....
  3. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +244 / 9 / -26

Why read it?? or even comment.. what a freaking tool.

I am sorry will ask next time I post something to insure it meets your criteria for political correctness..

glad to see the censorship police are up early, and have to assume that you think it is ok for the Nat Guard to fire 67 rounds on unarmed protestors.. killing 4 and wounding 13.. 2 of the 4 killed were not even involved in the protest, they were students walking from class to class..

Those who do not their history, are condemned to repeat it..
  4. elway7

elway7 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Why the name calling! Isn't this against patsfans rules?
  5. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Such a terrible event, we can all agree.

However, I wonder if you are the type of person who thinks "oh those poor British soldiers" when discussing the Boston Massacre.
  6. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +308 / 3 / -13

"Gov't kills students...reminds me of the Tea Party" "Tea Party = Racists" All of the preceding is the thinking of a fool.

HOw about...

"Gov't kills students - Yet liberals want BIGGER gov't" Now, THAT'S more like it!
  7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +244 / 9 / -26

Some liberals want bigger government, most of us want more responsible government.. speaking in generalizations shows a lack of intelligence.. and a lack of understanding the big picture..

It is a liberal post, therefore certain things can be assumed..
  8. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +244 / 9 / -26

There is no need to fire on unarmed people no matter what the situation...

Do not get your post as you assume I feel bad for the National Guard, personally feel bad for the victims of any massacre.... it makes no sense.
  9. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +308 / 3 / -13

MOST liberal want bigger gov't...don't kid yourself.

And you have the gall to write,

"speaking in generalizations shows a lack of intelligence.. and a lack of understanding the big picture."

When you have attempted to broadly paint the Tea Party and/or conservatives as racists...

Hello Kettle!:nono:
  10. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +195 / 2 / -2

Not sure why this is a bad thread -- I'm glad Darryl mentioned it, as it's an event very much worth remembering (but I wouldn't have realized it was today).

Most Republicans, too. Just a matter of how you want to look at the government.
  11. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +308 / 3 / -13

Chico, it would have been fine topic if Darryl hadn't "slipped in" some BS about the Tea Party.

He's done this numerous times. He once brought up the Oklahoma City bombing anniversary and slipped in some anti-conservative or Tea Party comment.

he always has other motives....ALWAYS.
  12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +503 / 2 / -9

The "Mexican Tea Partys Make The Conservative Tea Partys look like a Tea Party"

Kent State:
    I wish there were some of those 60's Anti War Protesters around today to take care of "Obama The War Monger"

Obama's drones are killing women and children, Obama's liberal groupies don't care they are busy getting criminal illegal aliens on welfare.

President Obama's Aunt Zucchini Is A Criminal Friggin Leech A Free Loading Bum.
  13. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

Just to set the historical record straight, those hippies were yelling vile stuff at the National Guardsmen. And threw human feces (crap).

It's enough to set off 19-year-olds armed with automatic weapons. Those firebrands were literally playing with fire. This is not to excuse shooting unarmed civilians--something never acceptable--but to put it in the proper perspective.
  14. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +195 / 2 / -2

pretty much irrelevant in the context of shooting

(If you want to offer it as an explanation for punching somebody in the face, fine.)

Throwing feces does, imo, provide some perspective (assuming it's true) -- as opposed to yelling "vile things." (But as you acknowledge, in no way excuses it.)

19 year olds with automatic weapons may not be the best idea -- but I suppose that's a different matter.
  15. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +308 / 3 / -13

Kent State was wrong and very sad, I agree.

Which reminds me of the Tea Party!:rolleyes:
  16. SanAngeloState

SanAngeloState Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

4 spoiled brat malcontents died.

50,000+ brave soldiers died trying to prevent S. Vietnam from being enslaved...and weren't allowed to fight all out and bomb Hanoi to pieces lest we offend the Chinese and Russians.

That's the tragedy.

Meanwhile at home, students were carrying pictures of their hero Ho Chi Minh and calling our boys baby killers. Good riddance to them. I wish they all got shot. Can you imagine students carrying pictures of Hitler and Tojo during WWII?
  17. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +195 / 2 / -2

Do you recognize the hypocrisy within your own post?
  18. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +244 / 9 / -26

Welcome to the club, the lemmings welcome you with open arms..
  19. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +244 / 9 / -26

Here is what I said.. sorry that you cannot read and just asssume, there are people out there making this comparison today.. to bad you cannot accept the truth.

[/QUOTE]
  20. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +244 / 9 / -26

Source??? They were about 100 yards away when it happened.. guess they had great arms..

Thanks not sure anyone knew what feces were...