Welcome to PatsFans.com

40 Former Lobbyists in the Obama Administration

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Feb 2, 2010.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +476 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

Just in case anyone is counting.

Former lobbyists in senior Obama administration positions | Washington Examiner

Election 2008 will go down in history as one of the worst one ever.
    For the record ... John McCain's election staff was also loaded with lobbyists.

The Anti-Lobbyist, Advised by Lobbyists - washingtonpost.com
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

Washington is/has been for sale for a very long time, that is why many of us feel that the Corporations/Individual recent court decision is so devastating..

Just read an article that the current DC anti gay marriage proposal is currently be funded exclusively from outside the beltway...Scott Brown benefitted from big bucks from outside of Mass.

The whole money thing has gotten absurd and all that is being done is perpetuating the power elite.. the common man has less and less say daily, the SCOTUS, POTUS and Congress are complicit
  3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

In his manhandling of the Republicans, Obama talked about this:

Obama At House Republican Retreat In Baltimore: FULL VIDEO, TEXT

In terms of lobbyists, I can stand here unequivocally and say that there has not been an administration who was tougher on making sure that lobbyists weren't participating in the administration than any administration that's come before us.

Now, what we did was, if there were lobbyists who were on boards and commissions that were carryovers and their term hadn't been completed, we didn't kick them off. We simply said that moving forward any time a new slot opens, they're being replaced.

So we've actually been very consistent in making sure that we are eliminating the impact of lobbyists, day in, day out, on how this administration operates. There have been a handful of waivers where somebody is highly skilled -- for example, a doctor who ran Tobacco-Free Kids technically is a registered lobbyist; on the other end, has more experience than anybody in figuring out how kids don't get hooked on cigarettes.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  4. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +312 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

And IF you're counting, make sure you count the fact that there are over 500 top tiered positions in the federal government. So that makes 40 out of 500 - or 8% - which means 92% of the positions available are NOT filled by ex-lobbyists.

40% of Top Administration Jobs Vacant - CBS News
  5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Another point is that some of those people were lobbyists a decade or more ago, and if I recall correctly I think the administration said they would hire former lobbyist who hadn't been lobbyists for at least 7 years. In a random look at the list, Michael Taylor of the Food & Drug Admin. was a lobbyist for Monsanto in the late 1990s.
  6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +476 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

Can always count on you and the Mr to run to Uncle Sam's defense. ;););)

Do they pay you for that ... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +312 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

Just pointing out that there are always two sides to every story, IcyP. I'm sure you're aware of that, aren't you? For every action there is a reaction and all that.

This IS a "discussion" board, you know, in spite of the fact that you'd prefer it to be your own personal sounding board without rebuttal or response.

You're prefectly welcome to dispute and/or disprove anything and everything anyone else says. In fact, I'd encourage it.

So - if there's a way you can make 40 out of 500 more than 8% of the total I'd be really pleased to see you do it and I'd be more than willing to admit you've got something other than a talking point you've cut and pasted from a web site with an agenda.
  8. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Most politicains would be able to do that:D
  9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

So when I make a promise, if I come close, then that counts? I promised my wife I would never cheat on her, so if I only sleep with a couple of women here and there, I guess I'm still good? Afterall, I can point to Tiger Woods and say "I did it a lot less than that guy". :rolleyes: