PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

4 Picks for #29

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Patriots have been in a holding pattern for the last ten years. If TB is going to get one last Superbowl he needs help and that help isn't coming from 4th rnd jags. Thus far this offseason has been extremely underwhelming.

Aaron Hernandez was one of those '4th round jags'. It's hilarious how everybody overreacts when the Pats make a trade in the draft and act ready to jump off a ledge. Well you know what, I won't talk you off the ledge. Go ahead and jump. It will improve the quality of Pats fandom if the jumpers would just take a hike already.

And tomorrow don't expect any big names or binkies to be taken. Expect at least a couple of headscratchers who you never heard of and that NFL.com doesn't even have profiles on. And I'm sure we'll have more lemmings jumping off the bridge en masse when that happens. Well good riddance!

BB just pulled off a FOUR for ONE. That's nearly highway robbery. Don't go by the antiquated trade value chart. When you get FOUR bites at the applie instead of ONE, that's usually a very good thing. And I trust our scouts a lot more than the Jets so I think they will hit on at least a couple of those extra chances.

TWO good players is better than ONE. And on top of that Patterson is a pretty high BUST risk regardless of perceived talent level.

Aaron Hernandez was one of those '4th round jags'. It's hilarious how everybody overreacts when the Pats make a trade in the draft and act ready to jump off a ledge. Well you know what, I won't talk you off the ledge. Go ahead and jump. It will improve the quality of Pats fandom if the jumpers would just take a hike already.

And tomorrow don't expect any big names or binkies to be taken. Expect at least a couple of headscratchers who you never heard of and that NFL.com doesn't even have profiles on. And I'm sure we'll have more lemmings jumping off the bridge en masse when that happens. Well good riddance!

BB just pulled off a FOUR for ONE. That's nearly highway robbery. Don't go by the antiquated trade value chart. When you get FOUR bites at the applie instead of ONE, that's usually a very good thing. And I trust our scouts a lot more than the Jets so I think they will hit on at least a couple of those extra chances.

TWO good players is better than ONE. And on top of that Patterson is a pretty high BUST risk regardless of perceived talent level.

Your analogy is not good its not getting 4 equal sized bites at the apple. Say you have a turkey you don't get 4 times the bites you would have gotten with the 1st round pick. You get 4 bites after a lot of the good pieces are gone. It is much harder to find the good pieces to use the 4 bites on now.

There was no highway robbery it was a fair trade, but IMO for a team that needs impact players trading back doesn't make the job easier.

I like what BB did. Can anyone really imagine with our history of drafting wr, that he would have chosen a wr at 29? I really wonder if he has any intentions of drafting a wr in the 2nd round. So many of those big body wrs in the college ranks have no idea about route running.

Your analogy is not good its not getting 4 equal sized bites at the apple. Say you have a turkey you don't get 4 times the bites you would have gotten with the 1st round pick. You get 4 bites after a lot of the good pieces are gone. It is much harder to find the good pieces to use the 4 bites on now.

There was no highway robbery it was a fair trade, but IMO for a team that needs impact players trading back doesn't make the job easier.

It depends on how you view the draft.

If you believe that the player pool you'd be picking at @ 29 is essentially equivalent to the pool of players @ 59 and 89 and 119, then, yes, this is highway robbery.

If you believe there is a steady drop off, then you're right, it's a fair trade and not a clear win.

FWIW, most of the Pats fans I know not on this board called this trade a win.

One non-Pats fan I know went so far as to say that if the Vikings took Te'o, it'd be the biggest win of all time. :)

The trade puts the Pats in the best position to add talent to their roster, no doubt. If it falls through it is on Bill the Talent Evaluator, because Bill the Trader has put him in a tremendous position given what we started with.

Not sure we are going to get a lot of talent, but we will add depth which is an oft overlooked hallmark of this team.

The three #7s will be interesting - basically "roll the dice" picks that most likely will yield nothing at all. But there have been some gems there - Alfonso Dennard, Donald Driver and Shannon Sharpe were all seventh rounders.

This is a draft that is heavy with mid-round picks and the Pats now have
five of them. Let's see if they can draft better players than Brace, Butler,
Tate, and Price. I hope they don't go off the radar with a pick like Tavon
Wilson. I'd like to see them take chances in rouund seven and pick players
like Dennard who have talent but come with some injury or other problems.

God help us, then, if we play Denver. :rolleyes:

Should we just forfeit? What do you think?

The 37-year-old Forehead and the 32-year-old Welker in Foxboro on November 24th in the cold against Belichick and his re-tooled defense? Not a problem. Don't let these geezers freak you out.

I don't know.
The Pats best selection in the past 5 years was Nate Solder, he went like 19th? overall.He'll be on the field the next 10 years.
Yeah you can argue Gronk and all that. But WTF good are you if your not on the field during the biggest games of the year.

I'll be very surprised if the Patriots don't pick before then. They didn't stockpile all of those picks so that they could sit on them and draft guys to be four-year backups. There will be at least one trade-up tomorrow.

I'd hope so. I like the rest of the haul but #52 is a little too far down the food chain.

Love the draft value still left on the draft board:

Markus Wheaton, WR - Oregon State (79)
Brian Schwenke, OC/OG - California (80)
Robert Alford, CB - Southeastern Louisiana (83)
Bennie Logan, DT - LSU (96)
Barrett Jones, OC/OG - Alabama (100)
Khaseem Greene, OLB - Rutgers (105)
Josh Evans, FS - Florida (124)
Duke Williams, SS - Nevada (156)
Josh Boyce, WR - TCU (169)

NFLDraftScout Rankings ()

NFL Draft - 2013 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com
I would hope that with the 52nd, 59th, 83rd, 91st, and 102nd picks, the Pats would select players like the top of your list. Though, I wonder if the
rankings are a little off this year?
players more like the top of your list.

Neither will likely be able to guard Welker.

This is true. But if the Pats can have someone Ryan Clark him (easier said than done) then that's an effective way to take him out of the game.

I'd hope so. I like the rest of the haul but #52 is a little too far down the food chain.

The Patriots got 4 picks to make the trade value equal.

All the players people are listing that "could" be available are likely not to be available when the Patriots pick.

Felger would be right to "whine" about this. How does this help the Patriots? The Pats essentially gained a 3rd + 4th rnd pick while dropping out of the first round. That 7th rnd pick is useless.

The Patriots continue to draft as if Tom Brady is 26 years old. The window is closing fast and 3rd + 4th rnd picks aren't going to be what the Patriots need to put them over the top. They need impact players on both sides of the ball. You aren't going to get those impact players where they have dropped to...Keep in mind the Patriots didn't have any picks because Belichick wasted the teams choices on Ochocinco and Albert Hanesworth. My faith in him no longer exists.

The Patriots have been in a holding pattern for the last ten years. If TB is going to get one last Superbowl he needs help and that help isn't coming from 4th rnd jags. Thus far this offseason has been extremely underwhelming.

There is plenty of talent available after the 2nd round. These players were drafted in the third or lower:

Alfonzo Dennard
Stevan Ridley
Ryan Mallett
Marcus Cannon
Aaron Hernandez
Zoltan Mesko
Julian Edelman
Matt Slater
David Thomas
Stephen Gostkowski
Nick Kaczur
James Sanders
Matt Cassel
Asante Samuel
Dan Koppen
Tully Banta-Cain
Jarvis Green
David Givens

Now the trick will be getting an actual starter from those picks, and hoping Cordarrelle Patterson doesn't turn into a perennial Pro Bowler for the Vikings.

What really matter is who Bill would have drafted if he did make the pick. May or may not be Patterson.

The Patriots got 4 picks to make the trade value equal.

I understand this, but they're all picking behind teams that could be set to make a run at the remaining WR's. Hopkins and Patterson were the first chips to fall. If the Pats see that their guy could be off the board by the time their first 2nd comes up, I hope they put something together to trade back up. They have the ammo to do so now.

What really matter is who Bill would have drafted if he did make the pick. May or may not be Patterson.

I think BB was interested in the 4 prior guys that got picked. I think Syl was the most interesting. Once they were gone there is no argument left if they should take 1 guy vs the better pile they have to work with now. They could move up to 36 or 37 with #59 and #91 if they want, and still have another 2nd and 3rd to work with.

Patterson and Hunter are both rotten route runners, I doubt BB would take either one, even if he had them available at say #47.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back