PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

4 new tryouts, including Ronnie Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
4 players below JAG status, probably don't belong on NFL rosters at this point.

Yes to Brian Leonard; No to all the others.

If Bill signs Leonard for FB/RB, Dustin Keller for Move TE, and James Mister Anderson for Cover OLB,
then I can sleep better at night.

If Bill signs Leonard for FB/RB, Dustin Keller for Move TE, and James Mister Anderson for Cover OLB,
tumblr_mkkbvueC1R1s60bsco1_500.gif

If the Pats hadn't traded for Welker in 2007, I would have wanted them to draft Leonard with that pick.

I like the idea of trying to upgrade Bolden and/or Develin. There should at least be camp competition or insurance in case of a camp injury.

I like the idea of trying to upgrade Bolden and/or Develin. There should at least be camp competition or insurance in case of a camp injury.

Do you question the RB competition? As a third down back, White provides strong competition, and as an every down option, Houston may also be more talented. If he can contribute on STs, Finch brings exciting skills. With the current roster, including better depth at other positions taking roster spots, I think Bolden and Develin are serious question marks.

Do you question the RB competition? As a third down back, White provides strong competition, and as an every down option, Houston may also be more talented. If he can contribute on STs, Finch brings exciting skills. With the current roster, including better depth at other positions taking roster spots, I think Bolden and Develin are serious question marks.

Every year, we have our binkie UDFA's. You believe that these UDFA's are STRONG competition for Bolden and Develin. Many agree with you.

We have 3 locks: Ridley, Vereen and White. We agree Bolden and Develin are serious question marks. Where we disagree is where that competition will come from. Belichick signed many UDFA's, as he always does. I expect veteran running backs to be brought in for tryouts and perhaps some of them signed.

My expectation is that of those in house, Bolden and Develin are heavy favorites for the 4th and 5th RB spots.

Last edited:
If the Pats hadn't traded for Welker in 2007, I would have wanted them to draft Leonard with that pick.

Leonard actually had a fairly decent year last season, has been durable, and would offer some pass/run
versatility. If Bill won't sign a pure FB like Vonta Leach or LeRon McClain, then Leonard would be the next best possibility.

Every year, we have our binkie UDFA's. You believe that these UDFA's are STRONG competition for Bolden and Develin. Many agree with you.

Well Bolden and Develin were UDFA's so I would think that considering other UDFA's as STRONG competition is fairly reasonable.

And yes, particularly at RB, I will take fresh legs over vet JAG's.

Well Bolden and Develin were UDFA's so I would think that considering other UDFA's as STRONG competition is fairly reasonable.

And yes, particularly at RB, I will take fresh legs over vet JAG's.
We all have our opinions.

One might have thought than since the patriots have had 2 UDFA quarterbacks in the past few years, that THEREFORE they would not draft and quarterback and instead look for UDFA quarterbacks, especially in this strong draft.

The other consideration is that in the past, we were replacing old vets or adding a "new" position (FB). In the current situation, both incumbents are young and inexpensive.

Here's my thinking, we have Vereen as our 3rd down/change of pace back. He's a good blocker and is a smart player, but he's had injury issues. Bolden is his replacement, but I don't trust him as a blocker and his hands are not as good as Vereen's.

Ronnie Brown could be a good backup to Vereen in terms of fitting our scheme. I'm not sure how much he has left, but if he does it's worth it too take a look

Here's my thinking, we have Vereen as our 3rd down/change of pace back. He's a good blocker and is a smart player, but he's had injury issues. Bolden is his replacement, but I don't trust him as a blocker and his hands are not as good as Vereen's.
Bolden was his replacement. White should be going forward. Bolden was a miserable failure trying to play Vereen's role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes