PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

4 layers of disaffection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: It's only one layer for me: losing the SB

I'm ready to ditch the team (I'm no fair weather fan) after being a faithful fan since 1978--Dan Pastorini killing us in the playoffs, the Rod Rust 2-14 debacle, Mosi Tatupu's fumble in Denver, the 2-14 Parcells basement season; it all pales in comparison to the pain that we've just been through in early Feb. '08.

It hurts too much to want to participate as a Patriots fan again. And I've vowed not to do so unless and until they get back to the Big Dance. Sundays will be family and work days from now on in the fall. I've always got college football on Saturdays with my Michigan State Spartans.

************ you are the most pathetic 'fan' i've ever seen. good riddance.

Maybe not you but the OP and allot of Patriot fans feel this way. Here's how he starts his 4 points:

1) Number 1 of course is Spygate.
2) Number 2 is the level of hate leveled against the Patriots by fans of other teams and more disgustingly some journalists (members of the media who should know the reality of signal stealing).
3) Number 3 is the postseason character assassination of the coach and members of the team.
4) Number 4 is the post SB reaction.

I don't care what happens to the Patriots or what their fans think but I'm just telling you that the only escape from the 4 above points in to get rid of BB.

I understand your point, but I disagree with the premise that getting rid of BB would get rid of all of the negativity towards this team. I would bet that people would rejoice in the fact that the main piece of our success is gone and we would likely take steps back. If the Patriots then were horrible, they'd take satisfaction in that, if they were still great they would still hate this team. I also think that your argument is similar to saying that if the Patriots were to return to being mediocre/sub500 team, then we'd escape the 4 above points as well. I'm pretty sure most fans of this team would put up with all of the above if it means keeping BB/keeping a dominant team.

I understand your point, but I disagree with the premise that getting rid of BB would get rid of all of the negativity towards this team. I would bet that people would rejoice in the fact that the main piece of our success is gone and we would likely take steps back. If the Patriots then were horrible, they'd take satisfaction in that, if they were still great they would still hate this team. I also think that your argument is similar to saying that if the Patriots were to return to being mediocre/sub500 team, then we'd escape the 4 above points as well. I'm pretty sure most fans of this team would put up with all of the above if it means keeping BB/keeping a dominant team.

Agreed. And don't think all those fans who spew venom and hatred toward BB wouldn't secretly jump for joy when they hear their team hires him as HC.

I don't care what happens to the Patriots or what their fans think but I'm just telling you that the only escape from the 4 above points in to get rid of BB.

After some reflection I can only state that the loss of Bill Belichick would only amplify the disaffection. He is neither the culprit nor the cure. After the franchise he is the most damaged by the factors leading to the disaffection. He is first and foremost an introvert and an obvious target for bully boys and easy shots. He cannot command the microphone like Bill Parcel’s, he doesn’t show his emotions like **** Vermeil, or wear his faith on his sleeve like Tony Dungy.

I also know that he is passionate about football, and is devout in his studies. For those willing to listen he is a fount of football knowledge and history. As an introvert it is his passion and consuming interest. He was also brought up with a strict work ethic and morality, a family influence that extended into his youthful environment with the Navy at Annapolis. His character, upbringing and vocation all point to the fact that doing anything that would bring the game he so dearly loves into disrepute would be anathema.

He is, like all other coaches and human beings, flawed. He lacks grace when it is needed and never suffers fools gladly (an unfortunate characteristic that I share). But these are not bad faults, they are all too human. However because of them he is reviled and hated to the point of distraction.

Many will point to the cheating as his worst sin. But here I have to go back to the Number 1 layer of disaffection, I still don’t know if or how he cheated and nor does anyone else outside of NFL headquarters, and sometimes I wonder if even they do. (Incidentally the NFL never used the word cheat in their verdict or sentence). Bill’s admission that he had “interpreted the rules differently” was dismissed as disingenuous. However I do believe him because of his past, because of his love of the game, and because only an introvert could have made that statement.

Sadly no-one gave any space or thought to what he had said. There was no analysis or credence given to a word of it. But by piecing together fragments of the history that preceded the scandal, one can understand what he was saying.

I believe that the Patriots-Dolphin game in December 2006 had much to do with his response. In that game the Dolphins had videotape of Tom Brady’s signals at the line of scrimmage. They also had audio tape of the same, and by marrying the two together were able to detect the play called on each play. Dolphin team members were open about knowing his signals as he called them. The game ended in a humiliating blanking by the Dolphins 21-0. The NFL after some investigation into the event stated that there was no misconduct by the Dolphin coaches.

From this one can surmise that videotaping signals and using them for an advantage is condoned by the NFL. So from that BB knew that he could videotape with impunity (especially since he was the disadvantaged). He also knew that he could not use live capture of information within the game itself and nothing indicates that he ever did. Quite simply he underestimated the importance of videotaping on the sidelines, especially since he knew that other teams did the same. The Jets are one of them, but all were too cowardly to come forward and admit their involvement.

He also knew, as did all other coaches, that offensive and defensive signals are being scouted. Many teams employ decoys, so the practice is well understood and commonplace. I still wait to hear what advantage was gained by capturing those signals (real and decoy) for the future, other than over time they show how the coaches react to certain situations. Not exactly real time, not exactly dynamic information, nor anything you can place a Vegas bet upon.

Bill’s response to the furor that erupted was typically phlegmatic and typically introverted – an apology delivered in measure to the infraction. Nothing remorseful or dramatic, further emphasizing that Belichick considered he had made a mistake rather than anything greater or more sinister.

I would strongly urge anyone who doubts any of the above to read David Halberstam’s book on Belichick, “The Education of a Coach”. This is a work of literature by a Pulitzer Prize winning author, one with a high faculty for observation and a sharp intellect to interpret and annotate.

The following quote was written several years ago and is as apposite now as it was then:

“In his professional role … he thought he had to win football games, not hearts and minds. Because of that he had slipped at a critical moment in his career. That which made him most human and revealed his personality, he shielded from the public. In a way, thought a talented writer named Peter Richmond, who watched him closely and later wrote about him, what sometimes bothered the media was that he was too straight, that he had so little in the way of artifice. “What’s interesting about him…was that he did not play any games. There’s nothing fake and there never was. He is what he is. There is no pretense, and he is utterly authentic in a world where because of television there is more and more which is unauthentic. What is troubling about all this is that a lot of people are more comfortable with the inauthentic, if it is reassuring, than they are with the truth, if is not reassuring.””

My biggest fear after the SB defeat was that Bill would do what many other introverts do when faced with unrelenting criticism and pressure, and that is remove themselves from the spotlight. Through the two weeks leading up to the game, I was worried that I was witnessing someone other than the BB I knew. Gone was the intensity and the focus, replaced by a relaxed and joking carbon copy. The red hoodie on game day suggested an impostor and most alarmingly of all there was the absence of the famed two-weeks-to-prepare game plan. In the original note I idly speculated that the Patriots played as if they knew the Lombardi was out of bounds, another idle speculation is that BB coached the same way.

Maybe he hoped to expunge the criticisms and hatred with a narrow defeat, the fact that it did little became layer 4 of my disaffection. Vox populi should not dictate the resignation of the Patriot’s coach, if it does then it will become the fifth and sealing layer of my disaffection.

:agree:

Insanely jealous or bitter small minds were the real villians in this morality piece. If they ever get what they truly hoped to out of it, the ultimate loser will be...football.

There was an unsettling undertone to all of this almost from the outset. People lost jobs...over BB taping defensive signals from assistants including some who were waving at the camera?

People, in the NFL and the media, lost jobs over the last several seasons because they deserved to based on their own shortcomings. That so many of them were each others toadies, while Bill remained no one's, is what lies at the root of all of this.

I don't for a minute think he even subconsciously considered easing up on the field, though his demeanor clearly indicated he was making an effort to mollify at least his media critics during the week. I think he just misjudged the Giants resolve, or more likely his own players lack thereof.

Last edited:
Sadly no-one gave any space or thought to what he had said. There was no analysis or credence given to a word of it. But by piecing together fragments of the history that preceded the scandal, one can understand what he was saying.

You should write an article for print publication. Lots of great insights in your writing, and very good style. Polish it up into a form appropriate for print media and get it out there!

:agree:

Insanely jealous or bitter small minds were the real villians in this morality piece. If they ever get what they truly hoped to out of it, the ultimate loser will be...football.

It was these villains that have led to my disaffection. Throughout the season, there was this chant echoing through both the media and the external fan bases "cheaters, cheaters". No real explanation was needed, just the repetition of the chant. It made them feel better about their teams that something had been taken away from them and not that they had been truly beaten.

The team seemed to express on the field a lot of what we fans felt. Out comes Goodell trying to look like the law and order guy while ignoring everyone else that was doing. We fans were pissed that we were being made the example. The team seemed to respond and we had the "eff you" touchdown. Many fans revelled in this, myself included. We obviously were not going to get any fairness from the league or the media, so it became more important that we exacted our revenge on the field.

As the season wore on, it seemed like we had put all of it behind. Records were being broken left and right. Articles were being written and bobble heads were talking up the greatness of this team. We had blueprints being made, but no construction companies up to the task of executing them.

Throughout this, the team stayed on message "one game at a time". No running their mouths about "classiness", just "humble pie" and going out and doing their jobs. My respect for the players and coaches of this team grew and I was so looking forward to the grand "eff you" of 19-0.

Then, timed to do the most damage, we have Specter take his pot shot in doing his corporate master's bidding. We saw one-sourced allegations given broad exposure that cast doubts on the dynasty that should not have seen the light of day until there was more substantiation. As game time approached, I was looking for an emphatic statement in laying waste to the Giants and all the crap that was heaped on this team through the season.

What I saw on the field was not what we had seen on the run up to this game. All this team's critics had been given what they wanted. All the teams accomplishments had just been erased and the critics crowed about the first team to go 18-1 and lose the Super Bowl. This loss was their reward for all their "cheating".

What I came to realize throughout the season was that the NFL is a product. Goodell handled the whole spygate fiasco in a manner that would ensure continued sales of his product, not as an arbiter of truth and fairness. Story lines had to be made to continue sales of the product and we get the goober face of the NFL with his team walking around with halos over their helmets and getting all the benefit from the men in stripes. That's a great product to sell, all down-home and moral unlike their cunning and off-putting rivals. The league has instituted rules to maintain parity and I have this strong feeling that the it goes beyond just the rules to more manipulation behind the scenes.

What I am ultimately disaffected with is the league. It irritates me beyond belief to see all the BS calls that go the Colts way while our best receiver gets flagged just because he has a reputation for pushing off. The rules seem to shift and seem to be subjective.

The Patriots seemed poised to throw aside all the baggage that was thrown upon them. In the end, they came up short. That I can accept. They had an amazing season, one that we may not see again for a long time, at least if the league has its way. The product has been tainted for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back