PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

4 Hurt and Elderly - Are Any Coming Back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We are a young team. There is always room for a few old grizzled vets. However, I suspect that the time has come for the following four to retire.

TAYLOR
MORRIS
FAULK
NEAL

Last edited:
Same kind of discussion in the RB thread.

At 34, Faulk as on a pace to have another solid year. Woodhead seems cemented as the 3rd down/CoP runner moving forward. Might see a trade to KC? KF will be 35 come 2011 training camp.

Neal- I think he is done.

Taylor- Same

Morris- Just don't know. May be brought back as insurance. Solid guy. May be brought back as a veteran presence for a new RB.

Last edited:
Only thing is, no one want to go out with a whimper (injury).

I expect those on IR will try to comeback for one more year to go out on their own terms.

Morris by this point is a FB. He has not been bad as a FB.

Taylor, unless he has a great play off game*, I can see retiring.

*For an injured Law Firm.

You forgot Nick Kaczur.

Hes not old. However with the back injury who knows if the rigors of NFL life will allow him to play competitively.

Hes not old. However with the back injury who knows if the rigors of NFL life will allow him to play competitively.

He came into the league old like 26. So he's probably 32-33. Not ancient but not young either.

The only one I can possibly see coming back is Morris and even that would surprise me. Our coach excels and knowing when its time to have a palyer move on and with Taylor (30+ and injury prone in last year of deal) Faulk (30+ with serious season ending injury and I think the last year of his contract) Neal (30+ and injury prone)
This is a brutal game and its sometimes unfair.
If you are hurt alot and nit playing, its hard to stay in the game, especially on the wrong side of 30

Anyone care to venture just how productive a career Taylor could have had if he wasn't so injuiry prone

Theres going to be a time when Ellis and Woodhead get nicked up, I think we have no choice but to add some depth this offseason

I know alot of chatter has been thrown around about Ingram but I just don't see him being the type of player the Patriots need at RB

I think only Morris has a chance to come back next season but only because of his ST play.

I'd be shocked if Taylor was back. I'd be surprised if the other 3 were, but not majorly surprised.

I wouldn't mind Neal in a back-up role, if he'd be willing to do that. The draft seems to be a bit light on interior linemen, so he could be a good depth guy but probably no longer a starter.

I don't care about Morris one way or another, but would love to see Faulk get one more year in and go out on his own terms. I think Woody will be ahead of Faulk on the depth chart, but both could play a role.

I would prefer that depth to be in the form of a 2nd round pick and a boring veteran, not trotting out the same aging guys we have.

Faulk, I love him, but I've been saying for years that we would have to find his long term replacement. It looks like we've succeeded in Woodhead. There is no reason to keep Woodhead and Faulk on this team, as they play an identical specialty role. Woodhead is younger, faster, and signed long term. Faulk is older, has an expiring contract, and has two seasons in a row on IR.

Easy decision to make.

Kaczur and Neal are welcome back in my mind as backups. Light and Vollmer at the tackles, hopefully we draft another guard in the late first or second. I'd love another stud to keep Tom Brady upright for the rest of his career.

I already discussed the RB position above. I think going forward next year I'd like to see at RB: BJGE, Woodhead, Draft Pick (at least a 3rd rounder, two down back), and a veteran (either Taylor if he is healthy, or another FA)

Neal will be back if he decides not to retire.

Faulk will be back.

Morris will not be.

Kaczur is still under contract next year, but he will be 31 in the off-season and has a history of back problems as well as an addiction to pain meds.

Taylor- I don't believe will be back .

The Patriots have alot of draft picks and guys on IR who are waiting in the wings, these guys will need roster spots eventually, but keep in mind that you can go into training camp with alot more than 53 on the roster. i suspect all of the guys under contract return, possibility a couple of the ones you mentioned that they like. but also consider how many draft picks them have.if they use all of their top 7 picks this year, that is another 7 heads on the roster which must be factored in and right now, the area that make the most sense to add some depth are are Rb, Olb, and OL.

i can see neal coming to camp and being cut because a high rookie draft pick shows enough potential to bump him off the roster.

i can see taylor coming back if they dont draft a runningback and Taylor is content being a backup to BJGE and Woodhead.

Morris? i dunno he is kind of old but he is kind of limited in his role anyway, he knows the offense and blocks pretty well, he can get extremely short yardage as well, plus teams dont really draft FBs anymore.

Faulk? it defends on whether he wants the veteran minimum or not. woodhead has taken over the majority of his role, faulk is better at blocking however and still plays a good role on third down, i could see a 2 rb package on short yardage with both woodhead and faulk being effective.

Kaczur? he will probably be on the roster, he is a good depth guy who can play multiple positions, if he isnt a starter he would be first off the bench. he could effectively take his job back over ojinnaka as backup tackle.

I'd bring Faulk back to camp. He'd be another highly versatile player that would add another dimension to the offense. Can you imagine him and Woodhead on each side of Brady in the shotgun? That'd be a nightmare to defend.

I think the Pats would be happy to take Faulk back... if Woodhead hadn't emerged. They're both similar players but I think Woodhead at this point brings more to the table for the Pats. So I don't see them keeping two duplicate players for that 3rd down RB role.

I think the Pats would be happy to take Faulk back... if Woodhead hadn't emerged. They're both similar players but I think Woodhead at this point brings more to the table for the Pats. So I don't see them keeping two duplicate players for that 3rd down RB role.

Woodhead is in his prime- but is 27 years old. I assume he has 3 more top-level producing seasons in front of him.

Don't see BB keeping two players for essentially the same role. Especially one that is 35 yrs old.

Bingo. I believe the exact opposite of DaBruinz on this point.

Morris has a greater likelihood of being back (they need a FB), whereas Woodhead already does the Faulk skill set - - and even after the extension, does it for less money than they are paying Faulk.

I don't write that happily, because Kevin was a warrior and a true Patriot team player. This is one of those rare players whom Bob Kraft MUST find a position in the organization for the future. I can see him in the coaching ranks or in player personnel because he has a sharp eye and mind. Plus, the fact that he loves the New England region and his kids never want to leave it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back