PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

4 Dl

Status
Not open for further replies.

letekro

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Anyone worried that we only have 4 healthy DL (I'm not counting Marquise Hill, for good reason, I think)?

Especially w/ the Altitude?

Especially w/ the dual burdens of the Denver running game and Jake's roll-outs?

letekro said:
Anyone worried that we only have 4 healthy DL (I'm not counting Marquise Hill, for good reason, I think)?

Especially w/ the Altitude?

Especially w/ the dual burdens of the Denver running game and Jake's roll-outs?
Of whom do you speak? Details man, we must have details from your neuroses if we're going to find and antidote.

I'm not worried about it. We have 4 DL who are versatile enough to give each other depth and Colvin and McGinnest can, and do, rotate in as DE at times. It's not unusual to see a 4 man line of Willie, Colvin, Seymour and either Green or Warren.

My worry is this:

If we don't jump on them early and go up by 2 scores, I don't think our DL can hold up for an entire game given that there's only 4 of them, that they will be playing at altitude, and that Denver has an offense that puts great strain on the DL. But, I think I am just restating my first post, which I thought was clear.

Hopefully we can get them into long yardage so we can get the sub packages in and consistenly spell Wilfork

Wilfork will be fine. Our run defense is good enough now that we'll get them into plenty of 3rd and longs. Not to mention 3 and outs. If Vince needs to be on the field all game, we will have bigger problems than him being tired.

Santonio Thomas

Did you forget him? Or whatever his name his.

p8ryts said:
Did you forget him? Or whatever his name his.

I included only those that could conceivably play in a close game. Perhaps, however, he may be useful in picking up the tee after kickoffs if one of the ballboys goes down.

Okay, your clearer now that you've restated yourself: diagnosis, to many hours until kickoff.

Here's the starting line-up for the Jacksonville game: Seymour - Wilfork - Warren
Designated pass rusher: Green
Active: Hill
Inactive: Klecko, Thomas
Emergency DL (college DLs): TBC, Chad Brown, Willie, Vrabel, Rosie, Bruschi, Beisel

Repeated at Denver looks like this: Why you discount Hill you haven't stated, discounting Thomas...he played well in Training Camp before getting injured and being cut...he was brought back to the Practice Squad...he played alongside Wilfork at Miami (should work okay together).

If one of our DL is injured we can substitute, for example:

Seymour injured is replaced by Green or Hill - not much drop off against the run - Hill won't be in on obvious passing downs anyway.

Wilfork injured is replaced by Seymour at NT, Green or Hill takes DE - not much drop off.

Warren injured is replaced by Seymour, Green or Hill takes LDE - not much drop off.

One of the starting three DL injured - you can go 4-3 using Willie and Colvin at DE with Bruschi and Vrabel rotating at MLB. The two remaining DL move to DT.

Two of the starting three DL injured - you go to 4-3, with the remaining DL at DT alongside Green or Hill.

I think BB can cope with whatever disaster crops up.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Okay, your clearer now that you've restated yourself: diagnosis, to many hours until kickoff.

Here's the starting line-up for the Jacksonville game: Seymour - Wilfork - Warren
Designated pass rusher: Green
Active: Hill
Inactive: Klecko, Thomas
Emergency DL (college DLs): TBC, Chad Brown, Willie, Vrabel, Rosie, Bruschi, Beisel

Repeated at Denver looks like this: Why you discount Hill you haven't stated, discounting Thomas...he played well in Training Camp before getting injured and being cut...he was brought back to the Practice Squad...he played alongside Wilfork at Miami (should work okay together).

If one of our DL is injured we can substitute, for example:

Seymour injured is replaced by Green or Hill - not much drop off against the run - Hill won't be in on obvious passing downs anyway.

Wilfork injured is replaced by Seymour at NT, Green or Hill takes DE - not much drop off.

Warren injured is replaced by Seymour, Green or Hill takes LDE - not much drop off.

One of the starting three DL injured - you can go 4-3 using Willie and Colvin at DE with Bruschi and Vrabel rotating at MLB. The two remaining DL move to DT.

Two of the starting three DL injured - you go to 4-3, with the remaining DL at DT alongside Green or Hill.

I think BB can cope with whatever disaster crops up.

None of those scenarios work to assuage my fears.

While he may have potential, Hill has shown nothing to suggest that he can be an effective player in the here and now. Hill IS that much of a drop off.

Last year, it was nice to have Traylor around to spell Wilfork. Even Wright was valuable for a few plays a game before he got hurt.

I guess i'm not saying anything new here. Bottom line, If the Broncs run the ball 30-35 times they'll win.

letekro said:
None of those scenarios work to assuage my fears.

While he may have potential, Hill has shown nothing to suggest that he can be an effective player in the here and now. Hill IS that much of a drop off.

Last year, it was nice to have Traylor around to spell Wilfork. Even Wright was valuable for a few plays a game before he got hurt.

I guess i'm not saying anything new here. Bottom line, If the Broncs run the ball 30-35 times they'll win.
C'mon now, 30-35 and Detroit wins too.

Hill is effective, not dominant, effective; based on the Jax game, he is the number 2 backup behind Green. Do you expect to lose two DLs? Is the offense going to be that ineffective that they leave the defense on the field for 40 minutes?

Your fears are too narrowly focused, Denver needs to get another large lead quickly to have the opportunity to run 30-35 times, by then DLs are going to be the least of your fears and frustrations because the offense will have turned the ball over and really sprayed yellow in your wheaties.

Accept that winning is inevitable, you get to bypass fear and go directly to shock and depression should this not be true. Pay the receptionist on your way out and make another appointment for the AFCC in Foxboro. ;)

Box_O_Rocks said:
Accept that winning is inevitable, you get to bypass fear and go directly to shock and depression should this not be true. Pay the receptionist on your way out and make another appointment for the AFCC in Foxboro. ;)

I know, baby steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye