PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

4 and out URFA after 4 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSolderKing

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
This is troubling so ppl like hernandez gronk spikes etc can cut and run. This sad truth only reaffirms the need of a larger salary cap.

The Patriot window of winning is 1 year less unless certain players get longterm deals. Yes Gronk and Aaron need to stay we gotta do something after year 2. What player wouldnt bite at a much lucrative millions $$$ contract?

--------

Report: Four-year veterans to be unrestricted

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports all players with at least four years of service time will be unrestricted free agents under the labor agreement currently being discussed.
This had been the expected outcome as long as a new CBA was reached as opposed to a court-ordered short-term fix. The new free agency rules will affect upwards of 500 players, which should lead to a frenzy in late July after an agreement is reached. DeAngelo Williams, Ahmad Bradshaw, Joseph Addai, Sidney Rice, Santonio Holmes, Steve Smith (NYG), and Zach Miller are the major fantasy names affected. All of the above will hit the open market.
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Jun 21, 2:15 PM

It's been like this for every year prior to last, right?

The bottomline to the owners is the bottomline. The trade-off is that there could be more movement of players between teams; however, they're still saving money.

This doesnt circumvent the contract you signed. if you signed a 5 year deal you dont get to cut bait after 4 years.

This is for players who signed a short contract and are still within their first four years in the league.

Like BJGE who was undrafted signed a short deal but even when his deal runs up he needs 4 years of service to hit unrestricted otherwise the team has rights to put a tender on him. Which we did back in febuary.

I believe this is the outcome most expected and is the way it worked in the past before the uncapped year.

It's been like this for every year prior to last, right?

Yes. The return to six years for unrestricted free agency was one of the "poison pills" on the player side.

this su cks make cap bigger jerks

What su cks is you're allowed to create threads about things you don't even remotely grasp...

4 years to UFA has been the rule prior to the expiring CBA adding 2 years as a penalty for it coming to that. What Schefter is saying and you are not grasping is those players who would have been RFA had the league somehow remained under 2010 rules are no longer RFA, they are UFA as they would normally have been anyway. This has nothing to do with Gronk or Hernandez...they are Patriots for as long as their current contracts say they are. They are still negotiating what the limits on signing rookies will be going forward. NFLPA wants 4 years for first rounders and 3 for all others (although they could still be retained as RFA in a 4th year). The owners want 5 year deals for first rounders.

And either way it has nothing to do with the size of the cap...

Last edited:
This sad truth [4 years and out] only reaffirms the need of a larger salary cap.

What are you talking about? This has absolutely nothing to do with the salary cap. If the salary cap were $10 million per team instead of $120 million per team, salaries to individual players would adjust accordingly and you'd have the exact same issues. Likewise if the salary cap were $200 million per team.

It's better to think in terms of percentage i.e. what percentage of the money available does each player get. Maybe a star QB gets 12% and a 3rd round draft choice averages 1.5% over the 4 years.

This doesnt circumvent the contract you signed. if you signed a 5 year deal you dont get to cut bait after 4 years.

This is for players who signed a short contract and are still within their first four years in the league.

Like BJGE who was undrafted signed a short deal but even when his deal runs up he needs 4 years of service to hit unrestricted otherwise the team has rights to put a tender on him. Which we did back in febuary.

I believe this is the outcome most expected and is the way it worked in the past before the uncapped year.

Yep. This is just a return to the rules that existed before 2010.

As others have pointed out, it is just a return to business as usual in the NFL. It is significant for this season only because last year any player with 4 or 5 years of service who had expired contracts became RFA instead of UFA and most 4th and 5th year players this year with expiring contracts got RFA tenders that are now null and void assuming the CBA goes through. So there will be a glut of 5 and 6 year players hitting the market this time around.

Personally, given the time and effort it take to develop a player I would have preferred having a player be a RFA in his 5th year as opposed to be an UFA. It protects the teams that draft and nurture a player a bit more.

Obviously I'm also in favor of first round picks having to sign 5 year deals. In fact I think the first TWO rounds should have to sign 5 year deals. They all get significant signing bonuses, even under any new rookie cap deal, without having to play a down in the league. I think there should be a consequence for that kind of benefit.

yeah, but now their is NO LOSS of a 3-5 plus tender when a team claims him. No draft picks will ever come about and other teams will pounce on our

4 year players wqhy 4??? because only slot w/ 5 yrs is in ROUND 1:bricks:

I just hope we offer extensions in year 3 to circumvent this BS URFA nonsense after 4 years

yeah, but now their is NO LOSS of a 3-5 plus tender when a team claims him. No draft picks will ever come about and other teams will pounce on our

4 year players wqhy 4??? because only slot w/ 5 yrs is in ROUND 1:bricks:

I dont even get what you are trying to say above.

Lets keep it simple by all accounts all that is happening is the years to reach unrestricted free agency is going back to four years like it was prior to last year when it was 6.

I have not heard anything about draft compensation being removed as comp for losing restricted free agents.

I just hope we offer extensions in year 3 to circumvent this BS URFA nonsense after 4 years

I'm guessing they are going to handle it like they always have, with the exception of this past year........

5 or 6 year contracts gets you navigated around this.

This is a NON-Issue, in all honesty. As every person who who has adequately followed the CBA has mentioned previously, 4 years was the NORM prior to the uncapped year. It's actually a GOOD thing because there had been rumors that 3 years would get you to being a UFA.

Maybe TheSolderKing hasn't been following the NFL prior to 2010, thus he doesn't seem to know that it has been four years to UFA prior to the uncapped year.

Let's hope that the FO feel the need to consult you then ;)

Let's hope that the FO feel the need to consult you then ;)

Go post on a soccer board. JOKE of a sport. The POOREST sport on this planet and people wonder why it is so popular worldwide??? It is POOR just bring your feet and plan on diving a lot.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back