PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

4/4/09 Patriots 3 round mock

Status
Not open for further replies.

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Round 1, Pick 23 (23) Connor Barwin, OLB/TE, Cincinnati

Big, fast, athletic, versatile. Barwin's quick transition from TE to DE makes me believe he can make a fairly quick transition to his new role as 3-4 OLB. He has one of the highest upsides of any OLB in this year's draft. 2nd choice Larry English, OLB.

Round 2, Pick 2 (34) (From Kansas City) Jarron Gilbert, DE, San Jose State.

Another fast riser. Gilbert is big, strong, and athletic. He makes good insurance policy in case Seymour leaves and he is at least an upgrade over Jarvis Green. 2nd choice Darius Butler, CB.

Round 2, Pick 15 (47) (From San Diego) Clint Sintim, ILB, Virginia

A solid player with only average measureables. However those will be adequate once he is moved inside next to Mayo. He might be behind Guyton on the depth chart until he earns the spot though. 2nd choice Robert Ayers, ILB.

Round 2, Pick 26 (58) Jamon Meredith, OT, South Carolina

Meredith is a finesse player with the agility to play LT if necessary. He should provide an upgrade over Kaczur at RT once he has earned the spot. His pass rush protection strengths play well to the Patriots offensive plan - protect Brady. 2nd choice William Moore, SS.

Round 3, Pick 25 (89) Chip Vaughn, SS, Wake Forest

Big, fast safety with excellent recovery speed and size. Can take his time learning behind Sanders before taking over. 2nd choice Rashad Johnson, FS.

Round 3, Pick 33 (97) (Compensatory selection) Andy Levitre, OG, Oregon State

Insurance for Neal. He will be brought up slowly in the system. His prospects are better than those of Yates. 2nd choice Jason Williams, OLB.

That's how i see the Pats draft as of today. I didn't speculate into trades as that's just too difficult to predict right now. Flame away.

Big, fast, athletic, versatile. Barwin's quick transition from TE to DE makes me believe he can make a fairly quick transition to his new role as 3-4 OLB. He has one of the highest upsides of any OLB in this year's draft. 2nd choice Larry English, OLB.

Another fast riser. Gilbert is big, strong, and athletic. He makes good insurance policy in case Seymour leaves and he is at least an upgrade over Jarvis Green. 2nd choice Darius Butler, CB.

A solid player with only average measureables. However those will be adequate once he is moved inside next to Mayo. He might be behind Guyton on the depth chart until he earns the spot though. 2nd choice Robert Ayers, ILB.

Meredith is a finesse player with the agility to play LT if necessary. He should provide an upgrade over Kaczur at RT once he has earned the spot. His pass rush protection strengths play well to the Patriots offensive plan - protect Brady. 2nd choice William Moore, SS.

Big, fast safety with excellent recovery speed and size. Can take his time learning behind Sanders before taking over. 2nd choice Rashad Johnson, FS.

Insurance for Neal. He will be brought up slowly in the system. His prospects are better than those of Yates. 2nd choice Jason Williams, OLB.

That's how i see the Pats draft as of today. I didn't speculate into trades as that's just too difficult to predict right now. Flame away.

Very solid. I can't argue with the Barwin, Gilbert or Meredith picks. I like Chip Vaughn, but I see us taking a safety in the 2nd such as Delmas, Moore or Chung (or even Sean Smith). I'd rather see that and then Jason Williams at #89 to move to ILB over Sintim and Vaughn, though that is a fine combo. And at 97 I prefer TJ Lang or Trevor Canfield to Levitre, but that's splitting hairs. Again, very solid.

No flaming from here. You understand the needs and draft reasonable choices. I don't think Gilbert will last until 34, so I would take him at 23 and then an OLB at 34 if those are the positions to be filled.

I would rather have Moore if he is available at 58 and an OT and OG at 89 and 97.

BTW, if Sintim is projected to be available at 47, I would take him there at an OLB, and take Laurinitis at 34. I don't think that we would pass on Ayers at 47, but then I don't think that he will be there.

That was a great read....and it really turned on a light for me.

BB in FA went after Springs and Bodden who are quality pickups. He drafted two young corners last year to add to Hobbs(contract year this year) and get rid of the other two...I forget their names:D:D. With the addition of the two FA with the two young corners and Hobbs corners should be taken care of as I like to have four solid corners to play the dime defense when needed.

Springs ability to possibly play safety intrigues me and at safety , which is the only spot BB might target, getting Chip in the third is great value IMO. They resigned Sanders and have Mariwether already starters with Springs and a possible rookie to push the incumbents is fine with me.

I guess what I am trying to say is LB might be the spot he targets early and Barwin is a great pick for the future plus I love his upside. S or DL is what I think he will target next and depending on his OL board value I could see him picking one with either #34 or #47. LB was addressed last year with Mayo, Crable and Rudd in the draft with two young corners but I think only BB only knows how he will handle the draft and how well his LB situation is?? He has to decide on Wilfork, Seymour, Light, Kaczur, Watson, Hobbs ect. but only BB know this and why this is all a guessing game but fun:D:D

The other thing to look at other then picking an addition OL in our top 100 is WR. I really think they want Moss and Galloway playing wide on double TE ace or single TE two in the back field and two wide. Welker playing out of the slot most of the time when they go Ace, three WR, single TE set which could be their base would be hard to stop IMO. I think they will need to draft a good WR on day one because Moss or Galloway might not make it through the season and Brady needs a new toy:D:D

I really would love to have this draft but have still yet to do my homework on Gilbert. I tried his pool trick and failed miserably which was covered in another thread which I would like to forget:)

Last edited:
This would be a tremendous draft for us..... Make it happen, BB!

I would swap Sintim for one of Delmas/Chung/Moore and then take Brinkley at 89

Plus TJ Lang at 97

Aside from that -- that would be a great draft

I'd take

23:Connor Barwin
34:Jarron Gilbert
47:William Moore
58:Jamon Meredith
89:Jason Williams
97:Trevor Canfeld

Don't see Pats keeping all the picks. I'm hoping that they don't trade up but rather trade out for future picks. Looking for two OLs in first 3 rounds. I'd love to see:

23 T - E. Britton or OLB - C. Matthews
34. C/G - M. Unger or DE - J. Gilbert
47. Trade for future 2010 #1
58. QB/WR - P. White or G - T. Canfield
89. Trade for future 2010 #2
97comp. SS - C. Vaugh
124. NT - S. L. Hill
170 comp. - P K. Huber
199. Trade for future 2010 #5
207comp. DE - E.Pedescleaux
234. ILB A. Appleby

I would be kind of disappointed with this draft. I honestly dont think Chip Vaugn is the best we could do at safety and I would take butler of Gilbert. The Merideth pick is ok but Im still on the fence about Barwin at #23 especially if we could have English over him. The one pick I do like is the Sintim pick but Im not sure he'll be there

Andy Levitre had some knee injuries in college.. I'm not sure thats the right pick..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots