PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

4-3, 3-4 starters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. I've wondered about this myself. With Wilfork and now G.Warren here, he shouldn't be asked to play much NT, if at all. But I've read stories that cited a refusal to commit to any sort of 3-4 situation, too. He certainly has everything you'd look for in a 3-4 DE, besides desire issues. Is 4-3 DT really all that much more glamorous?

He wants to attack, not react and defend. He doesn't want to hold up blockers for the OLB to make a move, he wants to make the moves himself.

It depends on the style of the 34 and 43, not the actual base defense itself.

Carter-Wilfork-Haynesworth-Anderson

and

Ellis-Wilfork-Warren

Last edited:
All I know is you're not going to run on this team. No way, no how. Other teams better be ready for 2nd and long every time they try to run on 1st down. It's gonna be brutal if a four man front of Ellis-Wilfork-Big Al-Warren is out there and Spikes in the middle with Mayo cleaning up the scraps. Guyton won't have to take on OT's any more and free to use his speed if teams dare run outside.

I expect Ellis, Wilfork, Haynesworth, Ninkovich, Mayo, Cunningham and Spikes will start. Cunningham will play OLB in 3-4 and put his hand down in 4-3. Nink will be OLB in both sets.

It would not surprise me to see Nink or Cunningham replaced but I'd still consider them in the lead for the starting spots considering the guys chasing them just signed.

I expect Ellis, Wilfork, Haynesworth, Ninkovich, Mayo, Cunningham and Spikes will start. Cunningham will play OLB in 3-4 and put his hand down in 4-3. Nink will be OLB in both sets.

It would not surprise me to see Nink or Cunningham replaced but I'd still consider them in the lead for the starting spots considering the guys chasing them just signed.

Some reports from TC are making Cunningham look like he'll be depth.

3-4: Wright, Wilfork, Brace

4-3: Carter, Wilfork, Haynesworth, Moore

Enough with the "base defense" talk already!

I'm tired of hearing about a switch to the 4-3, as if this defense has been running a consistent system at any time in the past 3 years. Isn't it obvious what Belichick is aiming to do with the defense. Consider the following:

-The entire "base 3-4" defense of 2010 is still with the team, minus one man, TBC, who sucked in 2010 anyway.

-All the free agent defensive line signings except for Anderson...Ellis, Haynesworth, Carter, Warren, Stroud (before his cut)...have experience in both the 4-3 and 3-4. Even Anderson fits the physical mold of a 3-4 OLB.

-The following reports emerge..."concerns about Cunningham" (sure, practicing DE after being an OLB in 2010), "Ninkovich experiences first camp as entrenched member of Patriots (is he going to be asked to play DE all of a sudden?), "Spikes looks rejuvinated in camp" (as a 4-3 MLB?).

-Wilfork saw much of his 2010 snaps at DE, and had increased pass rush responsibilities

Conclusions...There's no 3-4, and there's no 4-3. This is the amoeba defense. There is defensive personnel to match, and conform to, any offensive look.

Look at the DL...Haynesworth and Wright are elite interior rushers, or they can play the nose, Wilfork is an elite nose, and he can rush the passer. Ellis can play the 5-technique and he can be an edge rusher. Carter can rush the passer and set the edge (as long as you don't give him coverage duties).

Basically, Belichick can line up 11 men, and the opposing offense has no clue who is going to do what. Any 3-4 can become a 4-3, and vice versa. A 3-4 can become a nickel package by dropping Guyton into coverage. There's too much beef up front, and too much versatility on the edge.

I anticipate the regulars to be: Wilfork, Ellis, Haynesworth, Mayo, McCourty, Bodden, Chung and Meriweather.

Whoever survives the cut of Cunningham, Carter, Anderson, Warren, Nink, Guyton, Spikes, Brace, et al, will see significant playing time, but it packages that meet the down and distance, and in combinations that will confound offenses.

It might be shaky at first, with all the new faces combines with the short offseason, but once it's had the time to get, it will be a thing of beauty.

Re: Enough with the "base defense" talk already!

Let's discuss the pup list instead? Or maybe the abundance of Wr's on the roster? No? How about the latest in the trade talks for Welker,Wilfork and Merriweather? Cutting Cunningham the 1 year underachiever?

2 more days and we will have a lot more to discuss.

2 more days and we will have a lot more to discuss.

Please let this game be better than last year's Rams game:eek:

Please let this game be better than last year's Rams game:eek:

No doubt. I think the one thing that might come out of this preseason game is the abundance of players we will get to watch on the WR and defensive line. Oh.. and Mallett. It will take 4 quarters just to get a view of everybody.

No doubt. I think the one thing that might come out of this preseason game is the abundance of players we will get to watch on the WR and defensive line. Oh.. and Mallett. It will take 4 quarters just to get a view of everybody.

Yea... It's going to be awesome. So much going on. So many different combos to experiment with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes