PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

4/1/10 Patriots draft game-you make their picks v3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
My thoughts heading into this draft...

-The Patriots have more situational role players than they know what to do with. Guyton, TBC, Ninkovich, Wright, McGowan are all great for what they bring to the table, but in 2009 it seemed that every package Belichick threw out there had at least one miscast piece that could be exposed. The defense needs at least 2 every down players whose presence will be respected on both passing and running downs.

-I'm not as panicked about the offense as some people here. Presuming Edelman continues his development, I like the WR depth enough that, with a smart FA pickup and early round pick, the team can withstand the loss of Welker. One this though that must be fixed is the red zone offense. This may be the Patriots greatest need.

-The Patriots could be (and should be) power brokers in the deepest draft in recent memory. They hold so many high picks in the next 2 years that they can do what they want, should they feel bold and daring. With several teams penny pinching and hoping for a future rookie cap, look for the Pats to package some chips and move UP(!) to get a difference maker

(Trade with Jacksonville, #22 & 2011 1st for #10 & #108)
#10 Joe Haden - CB - Florida
(Trade with Oakland, #44 & #119 for #39 & #215)
#39 Tyson Alualu - DL - California
#48 Brandon LaFell - WR - LSU
(Trade with New Orleans, #53 & #190 for #64 & #96)
#64 Koa Misi - OLB - Utah
(Trade with Minnesota, #96 & #215 for #93)
#93 Dennis Pitta - TE - BYU
#108 James Starks - RB - Buffalo
#205 Zoltan Mesko - P - Michigan
229 Brandon Deaderick - DL - Alabama
231 Deji Karim - RB - Southern Illinois
247 J'Marcus Webb - OT - West Texas A&M
248 Kyle Williams - WR - Arizona State
250 Danny Batten - DE - South Dakota State

People might disagree with thew Haden move, but IMO he is the most well rounded CB prospect in years and teams will make the mistake of passing on him after a slow combine 40 time. I think Haden will make a bigger impact than Kindle or Odrick would, and that Misi and Alualu have nearly as much potential at much less cost.

It's a chess match on artificial and natural turf surfaces. For every example you cite, NE's defense is being designed/built to meet the challenge. It's that time of year when I get optimistic about seeing NE draft some edge rush help - perhaps this year it will happen.

Regardless of 3-4, 4-3, 5-2 or 2-5 NE needs to have the personnel to make them work. The offensive personnel decisions also factor in because a good offense is an aid to a good defense.

Your concern with formation only addresses part of the issue, I'm currently trying to forecast formation tendencies based on personnel under consideration. NE has looked at duel-use personnel in the mid to late rounds, to date the DL forecast to go in rounds one and two are more in keeping with a 40 front, that has led to my speculation in the mock. You and I can argue the merits of the individual formations, but BB has already decided - I'm just trying to guess what his decision will be.

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the importance of trying to work out what Bill's thinking. It's an entertaining exercise and given the Patriots' level of secrecy, any snippets of information are like manna from heaven. You're certainly right in saying that we are looking much more at 40 front players than 30 front players this time around. Usually the ones we look at are obvious conversion prospects, however, and they're noticeably not this year.

Is that simply because of the players available in the draft, or because Bill genuinely wants to convert us? Cameron Heyward will be a senior in 2011 and if we have a shot at him, I think it's very likely that we'll take it.

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the importance of trying to work out what Bill's thinking. It's an entertaining exercise and given the Patriots' level of secrecy, any snippets of information are like manna from heaven. You're certainly right in saying that we are looking much more at 40 front players than 30 front players this time around. Usually the ones we look at are obvious conversion prospects, however, and they're noticeably not this year.

Is that simply because of the players available in the draft, or because Bill genuinely wants to convert us? Cameron Heyward will be a senior in 2011 and if we have a shot at him, I think it's very likely that we'll take it.
I think the 40 front players are a direct result of the way NFL passing attacks have developed. I don't believe Bill is giving up the 3-4, but due to the amount of time NE spent in "sub-defenses" in 2008 and 2009 (I'll bet it was the same in 2007), it looks like Bill has decided to go more "hybrid." Kind of a blend of Jim Johnson's pressure defense and Bill's 3-4.

Off to the doctor - later.

22 Brandon Graham OLB
44 Bruce Campbell OT (too much value)
48 Carlos Dunlap DE
53 Damian Williams WR
119 Aaron Hernandez TE
190 Myron Rolle SS
205 Zoltan Mesko P
229 James Ruffin DE
231 Patrick Stodamire CB
247 Jameson Konz FB
248 Brent Bowden P (competition)
250 Chris Brown RB OU

Might do one with trades also if I continue to not work @ work.

I'm not even going to begin to try to guess trades, if anything I would expect trade downs.

22.) R. Matthews Fresno
44.) C. Dunlap Florida
48.) T. Alualu Cal
53.) Troup C. Florida
119.) Roberts Citadel
190.) Peek Alabama
205.) Batten S. Dakota
224.) Sicko NH
231.) Long Louisville
247.) Vaughn UMass
248.) Fletcher Wyoming
250.) Bosworth UCLA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back