PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3rd Quarterback?

sircole

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Even without knowing how the Mallet situation will play out, the patriots haven't entered training camp with only 2 qbs in the Belichick era. Using wikipedia as a source, this has been our quarterback lineup from the past training camps:

2001 Drew Bledsoe/Michael Bishop/Damon Huard/Tom Brady
2002 Brady/Rohan Davey/Damon Huard
2003 Brady/Rohan Davey/Damon Huard/Kliff Kingsbury
2004 Brady/Rohan Davey/Kliff Kingsbury/Kurt Kittner
2005 Brady/Matt Cassel/Rohan Davey/Doug Flutie
2006 Brady/Cory Bramlett/Matt Cassel/Todd Mortensen
2007 Brady/Matt Cassel/Matt Guiterrez
2008 Brady/Matt Cassel/Matt Guiterrez/Kevin O'Connell
2009 Brady/Matt Guiterrez/Brian Hoyer/Kevin O'Connell
2010 Brady/Brian Hoyer/Zac Robinson
2011 Brady/Brian Hoyer/Ryan Mallett
2012 Brady/Brian Hoyer/Ryan Mallett
2013 Brady/Ryan Mallet/Tim Tebow
2014 Brady/Mallet/?

With the receivers (veterans, last year rookies and new free agents/rookies), repetitions with Brady will be at a premium this training camp.

However, Brady will only be working with the best ones out of this group and probably be on a pitch count to lessen the wear and tear on his arm; leaving only Mallet throwing to the remaining receivers that are trying to improve while still learning our offense.

If Mallet is traded before training camp, we will have a really big problem on our hands.

I am not suggesting that we need to find Brady's successor; but it is an issue that needs addressing either in this draft or through free agency.

Any suggestions for a quarterback in this draft/free agency being able to come into Belichick's fast paced tempo training camp and operate our offense with competent proficiency?

Last edited:
What about Bryn Renner?

I know that Off The Grid likes him:

Category: Bryn Renner -

He also reportledy a mature 24-year-old that played in both a pro style and spread offense:

Inside the Panthers: Combine profile: UNC QB Bryn Renner

By being older in age, he should be available as a low draft pick/udfa.

Also, he might be able to handle the potential stress and expectations (Tom Brady's backup/not successor) being presented to him at a pats' training camp.

What about Bryn Renner?

He also reportledy a mature 24-year-old that played in both a pro style and spread offense:

Also, he might be able to handle the potential stress and expectations (Tom Brady's backup/not successor) being presented to him at a pats' training camp.

This one's for Grid:

Peter Lalich, Baby!

:rocker:

Kenny Guiton is the one for me. Great character, very smart, NFL quality arm and athleticism and was at Ohio State with Urban Meyer who loves him so will almost certainly give him a personal recommendation. We're also going to be working him out so he's on the radar.

Connor Shaw is also working out with the Pats so a late round or priority FA QB is clearly being considered.

I'm not done watching QBs but so far I am extremely intrigued by Kenny Guiton and David Fales. I liked what I saw of Fales in the senior bowl and then after watching every clip of his I could find I came away seeing a potential Drew Brees.

Kenny Guiton and Connor Shaw

I like both of those guys as well. And I also believe a backup qb is a priority for the coaching staff when you mentioned Guiton and Shaw earlier in the draft contact thread.

I'm not done watching QBs but so far I am extremely intrigued by Kenny Guiton and David Fales. I liked what I saw of Fales in the senior bowl and then after watching every clip of his I could find I came away seeing a potential Drew Brees.

Sounds like another one to keep our eyes on in the draft.

The other two that really intrigue me are Logan Thomas and Brett Smith. Thomas is probably a dud as a QB but there's still a "what if..." factor to his game. There is so much upside there. Brett Smith is a controlled Johnny Manziel, in some ways that's a bad thing, but in terms of potential NFL development, it might just be something worth having.

Both of the QBs are big risks but both offer Brady replacement upside. I'd still prefer Guiton however.

Brett Smith could be a great asset running the scout team when playing against a mobile quarterback. Also, he could give BB a glimpse on a possible future patriot offense designed around a mobile qb.

Logan Thomas is a boom or bust qb that would probably have a better chance to develop if Mallett is gone and we only have him and Brady. He does have TE potential according to mayo.

What about Bryn Renner?

Great Eye, Brother!! And thanks for the mention. :)

I'll be rolling through all the Reports I've published, re-evaluating and expanding on what I've written, as well as cranking out perhaps several dozen more, next Month ~ shameless plug!! :D ~ but I can tell you right now that I agree with you 100% on Renner, and my Evaluation remains virtually unchanged, despite an horrific Year.

I'm not done watching QBs but so far I am extremely intrigued by Kenny Guiton and David Fales.

I liked what I saw of Fales in the senior bowl and then after watching every clip of his I could find I came away seeing a potential Drew Brees.

Great Eye, Brother!! Big Fan of Fales. :cool:

What about Bryn Renner?

Great Eye, Brother!! And thanks for the mention. :)

I'll be rolling through all the Reports I've published, re-evaluating and expanding on what I've written, as well as cranking out perhaps several dozen more, next Month ~ shameless plug!! :D ~ but I can tell you right now that I agree with you 100% on Renner, and my Evaluation remains virtually unchanged, despite an horrific Year.

My very first mock back in July:

I'm a believer in preparing for Brady's ultimate departure and that to do so, the Patriots must be consider drafting a QB every year until they find one that they can trust to be the future franchise QB. There are other QBs in this draft that I like but I choose Renner here because he has experience and he runs an offense that has some similarities to the Patriots in that it is both up-tempo and relies on quick hitting short passing.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...34735-2014-mock-draft-thread.html#post3491982

:)

Not sure I'm still in that place, but you know, Renner-fans unite! :rocker:

This thread scares me. I have a lingering fear that the Pats will do something off the wall and draft McCarron in the 2nd or 3rd round. Snap out of the thought in a cold sweat. Mallett and O'Connell haunt my dreams.

I liked what I saw of Fales in the senior bowl and then after watching every clip of his I could find I came away seeing a potential Drew Brees.

I'm not ready to say Brees, but I think that Fales could at the very least be a Brian Hoyer -- a little undersized, average arm strength, but smart, calm, and accurate. I think he'd make an ideal backup QB.

For more of a developmental long shot, I like the potential of Dustin Vaughan from West Texas A&M.

LONG RANT (Just letting off steam from GSU men's bb team losing in the NIT)

The "trade Mallett" scenario makes no sense to me. I'm not a big Mallett fan, but I do not see much value in trading him.

As stated earlier in this thread, Brady and Mallett are our only two quarterbacks on the roster currently. Yet the patriots have never entered training camp with less than 3 quarterbacks since Belichick has been our head coach.

If Mallett is traded before the draft, for example the #33rd pick, without any veteran free agent acquisition; this will be our QB depth chart:

Brady/Julian Edelman/Nick Caserio---he sometimes throws to rookie prospects during their workout.

If Belichick's "3 QBs for training camp" pattern hold true, then the following options must exist for the Mallett trade scenario to work:

1) We sign a veteran that would probably command a +3 million dollars hit on our current shrinking salary cap. We could also devote a draft choice (possibly high 2nd/3rd rounder) to the QB position. Then our QB depth would look like this:

Brady/new veteran QB/rookie QB

2) We receive a veteran quarterback as compensation in the Mallett trade and we still bring in a rookie quarterback. QB depth chart:

Brady/new veteran QB/rookie QB

3) We get two veteran free-agents (scrubs for salary cap reasons). QB depth chart:

Brady/new veteran QB/new veteran QB

4) We get two rookie QBs in the draft. QB depth chart:

Brady/rookie QB/rookie QB

However, the problem now, Brady will be the only quarterback at camp with any experience in our offense. Remember Cassel and Hoyer, unless we trade Mallett to Cleveland in exchange for Hoyer and a draft pick, are now off the market.

I know we think of Tom Brady as the greatest of all-time.

But under the "trade Mallett for a pick" setup, we want Tom to be the G.O.A.T QB and JUGS machine for training camp.

How else can we expect a well oiled offensive machine in the regular season when Tom will be the only experienced QB in camp.

By keeping Mallett, we have a low-cost veteran with enough
experience in our system to bring better quality reps in practice and give Tom a much needed break. Also, BB wouldn't be tempted/pressured to use a high 2nd/3rd-round pick on replacing him.

Wouldn't it be easier, if the "3 QBs" pattern remains, to just keep Mallett and bring (hopefully a low draft pick/udfa) in a rookie camp arm?

I liked what I saw of Keith Wenning. Stephen Morris intrigues me also. Like Logan Thomas he is wildly inconsistent but I have more faith that coaching could improve him more than Thomas.. Really like his arm.

Last edited:
So where are you at on Renner, my good man?

I've moved on to Guiton and Logan Thomas' upside. I didn't really watch him during the season but it looked like he'd been benched at times, is that right? I have to confess, that does worry me. Still, I liked him enough pre-season to be OK with him coming in as the #3 guy. Would still prefer Guiton though (and Joe Clancy).

Edit 2: mustn't forget Brett Smith as well.

After Logan Thomas' pro day, he went for lunch with Jim Harbaugh. Thomas to the 49ers makes so much sense.

Wow, that's interesting. Do you have a link to that story?

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back