PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3rd QB strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.C Vegas

In the Starting Line-Up
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
The Pats only have 2 Qbs on the roster and I think that is a strategy to use Edelman as the 3rd "emergancy QB" with out naming one casue if they name one that takes up an active roster spot but also elminates 2 qbs if he comes in before doing it this way allows a full 45 man game day roster. for the entire game

and hey if i am wrong correct me casue i like to learn from one of the smartest NFL fan bases out there

The Pats only have 2 Qbs on the roster and I think that is a strategy to use Edelman as the 3rd "emergancy QB" with out naming one casue if they name one that takes up an active roster spot but also elminates 2 qbs if he comes in before doing it this way allows a full 45 man game day roster. for the entire game

and hey if i am wrong correct me casue i like to learn from one of the smartest NFL fan bases out there

The emergency quarterback is essentially a 46th player. He doesn't count as part of the 45.

The "advantage" of not using a QB3 is that it lets you carry an extra player on the roster at another position. No benefits for game day, though.

If we ever made it to QB#3, we're going to be running the ball every down anyways. I don't think it totally matters who the #3 QB is.

If we ever made it to QB#3, we're going to be running the ball every down anyways. I don't think it totally matters who the #3 QB is.

On top of that it would probably be later in the game so you can't expect the #3 QB to have the opportunity to run more then 1 or 2 drives.

I'd rather we ran a complete option defense if we lost both TFB and Brian Hoyer.

If we went a half without them both, i'd rather Faulk went in the backfield and we had Baker, Watson, Maroney, Welker and Moss with him. At least there would be some threat of a handoff to Maroney and maybe a quick throw to either Wes or Randy.

If i'm honest, I would use that most of the time even if we only had Hoyer.

Plus, this strategy has been used before.

Tom Tupa, anyone?

Wasn't it Tupa who threw a touchdown pass to Troy Brown in a fake-field goal attempt?

Brown never huddled up, and was last seen slowly jogging off the field. He stopped before going out of bounds, and appeared to be talking to an assistant coach. Just before the ball was snapped, with the entire defense looking to get the kicker, Brown jogged in a few feet, then when the ball was snapped, he turned towards Tupa, who passed the ball to him and Brown basically walked into the end zone.

It was a great play, and even the camera crews and the guys in the booth were fooled. :)

There is no 3rd QB on the roster..THAT is the strategy gamble and it is a gamble..although now a LOT of teams do that to save a roster space for another player...There is no reason to NAME a 3rd QB because the team has two ONLY...naming one in the sense you mean whould make him inactive for the game and that is not smart at all. In effect he or Faulk would be the 3rd QB..and ONLY if Brady and Hoyer went down would he be the QB...BOTH are active..and would be. The team has a FULL 45 player squad if the team has 2 QBs (like they have) or 3...the Emergency QB as an inactive allows him to be inactive an dplay ONLY if the 2 QBs are injured...or after the 4th Q starts..He is in effect the 46th player. SO there is no gain..in both cases there are 45 players.

There is no 3rd QB on the roster..THAT is the strategy gamble and it is a gamble..although now a LOT of teams do that to save a roster space for another player...There is no reason to NAME a 3rd QB because the team has two ONLY...naming one in the sense you mean whould make him inactive for the game and that is not smart at all. In effect he or Faulk would be the 3rd QB..and ONLY if Brady and Hoyer went down would he be the QB...BOTH are active..and would be. The team has a FULL 45 player squad if the team has 2 QBs (like they have) or 3...the Emergency QB as an inactive allows him to be inactive an dplay ONLY if the 2 QBs are injured...or after the 4th Q starts..He is in effect the 46th player. SO there is no gain..in both cases there are 45 players.

One thing, just so anyone reading this is clear: the rule about deactivating the first two QBs ONLY comes into play if QB3 is placed in that game-day inactive slot. [Last week, the Pats could have called Edelman a QB and had Brady, Edelman, and Hoyer rotate snap by snap.]

It seems to me that the team might as well dress a 46th player just so that he can play in the 4th quarter--it couldn't hurt.

Is there anything in the rules to prevent this?

Wasn't it Tupa who threw a touchdown pass to Troy Brown in a fake-field goal attempt?

Brown never huddled up, and was last seen slowly jogging off the field. He stopped before going out of bounds, and appeared to be talking to an assistant coach. Just before the ball was snapped, with the entire defense looking to get the kicker, Brown jogged in a few feet, then when the ball was snapped, he turned towards Tupa, who passed the ball to him and Brown basically walked into the end zone.

It was a great play, and even the camera crews and the guys in the booth were fooled. :)

I thought it was AV against the Rams???

I thought it was AV against the Rams???

May well have been. I had erased Adam from my memory banks after he went to the Colts, so.. yeah.. might well have been.. :D

It seems to me that the team might as well dress a 46th player just so that he can play in the 4th quarter--it couldn't hurt.

Is there anything in the rules to prevent this?

As far as I understand it, that player MUST be designated before the game as a QB, but could be brought in at any position (e.g., the Pats having Gutierrez on STs in 2007) during Q4.

As far as I understand it, that player MUST be designated before the game as a QB, but could be brought in at any position (e.g., the Pats having Gutierrez on STs in 2007) during Q4.

Right, so then why don't the Patriots do it each week?

Right, so then why don't the Patriots do it each week?

Because we only have 3 QB on the roster and Edleman needs to be available before the 4th quarter... Who else would we designate, one of the inactive OG's? I think the league would clarify the rule (if it isn't already) to limit that player to a QB...

They could let Gutz play on ST in the 4th quarter because he was already there (as player 46) doing nothing but watching.

Vinatieri. Tom Tupa did throw a pick with his left hand in his own end zone while playing in TB (I think), however. Same thing.

Because we only have 3 QB on the roster and Edleman needs to be available before the 4th quarter... Who else would we designate, one of the inactive OG's? I think the league would clarify the rule (if it isn't already) to limit that player to a QB...

They could let Gutz play on ST in the 4th quarter because he was already there (as player 46) doing nothing but watching.

Actually, the Patriots only have two QBs on the 53-man roster (Brady and Hoyer). OTOH, there is no rule that prevents a team from carrying three (or more) QBs on the 45-man roster, so designating Edelman as a QB would not require that the Pats make one of them inactive.

As to why they don't do it every week: who knows? I believe, however, that it requires that the team submit notification to the league to redesignate a player as a QB (a player's designation matters for other things, such as Pro Bowl honors and franchise salaries, etc., so it's not a trivial matter).

...I believe, however, that it requires that the team submit notification to the league to redesignate a player as a QB....

Ah, if that's the rule that would explain why they don't do it--thanks. It does seem like it could get sketchy with multiple-role players, but if there is something like this it would prevent obvious abuses (such as those extra OGs).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots