PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3rd down defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyManny

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Interesting blog entry by Reiss re: Pees

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/09/practice_report_52.html

He notes they have to get better on 3rd down. The defense looked at times pretty dominant in its base 3-4 against the run. Its inconsistency on 3rd down vs. the Chiefs I think largely - as Pees says as well - was due to Gonzalez. AD was used in coverage against him, seemed to be on him pretty tight, but Gonzo made the catches anyway.

If this team can become dominant on 3rd down, then it will could probably become as good as any defense we've seen in BB's time here. Each game plan is different obviously, against a team with a lesser TE and a lesser RB threat out of the backfield, we'll probably see AD rush a lot more, and maybe see some of the ILB blitzes we saw in the preseason game against Philly.

Last edited:
3rd down D puts a greater emphasis on speed instead of power.

This is where we can hope that Wheatley or Wilhite or Crable can emerge by the end of the season and hope Meriweather becoming a disruption as soon as this week. I also think as the weeks go by, O'Neal may prove himself more.

3rd down D puts a greater emphasis on speed instead of power.

Even more simple than that, pass defense instead of run defense. Clearly our run defense is going to be very good, or it should be very good. The weak link of the D, at least today, is the cornerback situation. So, even though it was a small sample, I don't think it's that much of a surprise that the D was better on 1st down (esp against a running team) than 3rd down.

Gonzales is one of the best players in the league. He will always get his share of yards.

Interesting blog entry by Reiss re: Pees

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/09/practice_report_52.html

He notes they have to get better on 3rd down. The defense looked at times pretty dominant in its base 3-4 against the run. Its inconsistency on 3rd down vs. the Chiefs I think largely - as Pees says as well - was due to Gonzalez. AD was used in coverage against him, seemed to be on him pretty tight, but Gonzo made the catches anyway.

If this team can become dominant on 3rd down, then it will could probably become as good as any defense we've seen in BB's time here. Each game plan is different obviously, against a team with a lesser TE and a lesser RB threat out of the backfield, we'll probably see AD rush a lot more, and maybe see some of the ILB blitzes we saw in the preseason game against Philly.

Gonzo was covered my Mayo and Meriweather too, as noted he'll make plays against the best. The Jesters won't be the strongest test the Pats face, I expect a win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back