PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3rd and long is a real issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

BostonBullit

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: this isn't a freakout over one play in one game, nor is it some kind of crazy "our defense sucks" post; hopefully it's a well thought out and presented post which will get some well thought out and presented replies.

I was on the phone with a buddy of mine last week during the Bills game and at one point during the 3rd or 4th quarter the Bills had a 3rd and long, something like 3rd and 12. I started to say something to him as the play started but cut myself off and told him I'd finish the statement after the play. The pats made the stop and the D got off the field so I finished what I had started to say: I'd rather see the pats D up against a 3rd and 2 over any kind of 3rd and long. I haven't seen (or attempted to compile) the actual stats on how they do in this situation but it feels like they can never make the stop. And it's not just this season, it's the past couple of years that I've noticed it. It's not just over the middle, where the pats traditionally have trouble with their pass defense, it's all kinds of pass plays. Is this just a result of thier traditional 10yrd cusion style of D? I had hoped that the younger faster LBs being on the field would solve the issue at least out in the flat but it's still there. Maybe after they get more game experience? I just don't know. Has anyone else noticed this? I know we don't have coaches tape or know the playcalls, I'm not trying to put this on a specific position or coach, I'm just trying to understand why for the life of me I get a bad feeling whenever they are in a third and long situation when I should feel great about it :(

anyone else notice this?

on a side note - more than a week till the next game...gawd that blows

Been a problem that has been opnely discussed for a long time. The pass defense is awful. That is the reason they draft Wheatley and Willhite, but so far we are getting Hobbs and--instead of Samuel--O'Neal. It is a drop off and it shows.

They need to start blitzing on 3rd and 6 or longer, the secondary is weak right now and they need to be protected. No more soft zones on 3rd down, third down is when a defense should be the most aggressive imo.

They need to improve on 3rd down period, on the season 3rd down conversions are 43% for the opponent. They need to get that number down to 34-38% range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back