PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3rd & 1 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyManny

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Can someone with a better grasp of offensive line play explain to me how we've blown a 3rd (or 4th) & 1 in three or four key situations this season? Buffalo, NYJ & yesterday?

Against Atlanta, we ran right over them, sure, but for the rest of the season, the short yardage package has failed, and its been a problem.

No fullback on the team.

When we run Morris from the fullback position he makes the first down. Also QB sneaks have worked. I don't know why we alway try to run short yardage with the tailback. They ae set too deep in the backfield to be effective.

Can someone with a better grasp of offensive line play explain to me how we've blown a 3rd (or 4th) & 1 in three or four key situations this season? Buffalo, NYJ & yesterday?

Against Atlanta, we ran right over them, sure, but for the rest of the season, the short yardage package has failed, and its been a problem.

I am not positive on this, I have not seen the stats yet, but it sometimes seems as though the personnel changes may be somewhat predictable.

For example, many of the personnel schemes remain the same, but in obvious running situations it seems that we switch to a 2 or 3 TE set. For example, the NYJ game the scheme was the same except for the key 3rd and 1 play, where it was the only time we switched to a 2 TE set--that had to have tipped the defense off, at least I would imagine.

Like I said, maybe I'm way off here--and I would be the first to admit it, but there have been some predictability issues in these key situations, maybe some other key posters can help. (?)

EDIT: just re-read your post requesting some help from someone with better knowledge--this automatically counts me out, but there have been times where things seem somewhat predictable. Maybe it is just coincidence.

Last edited:
bill b. made a good point...hurry up to the line like we usually do and hike the s.o.b. either in five wide to spread them out or fb dive..play action would prolly work but quite risky...id go qb sneak or fb dive as well

QB sneak has worked for us on 3rd and short, 4th and short, but the tailback run has often gotten stuffed in the backfield. Considering that there's no reason not to keep doing QB sneaks since Tommy is pretty adept at them. I guess we're trying not to be predictable and just outsmarting ourselves?? I would try PA run, and then pass to the flat and let a guy like Welker, Faulk, or Edelman make a play on the edges of the defense.

Last edited:
the way teams play us on third and short in our goaline package, if brady ran a naked boot and had any speed at all, he'd probably go the crib...but brady is slow and struggles scrambling..the only thing i miss about cassell is when teams dropped eight on us he would do the smart thing and run for the first down..after watching the game three or four times brady had several chances to pick up important yards with his feet but thats not brady and sumtimes pays off but lately has been resulting in a fumble or rushed poor throw in coverage

The problem may be with our personnel on the offensive line. If you look at our Center, Dan Koppen, you'll see that he usually needs help when handling large, powerful defensive linemen. To counter this, one of our guards usually helps double a powerfull interior defensive linemen. It seems defenders are shooting the gaps in between the offensive tackles and the guards, whenever they try to provide help for the Center.

sideline sid, great point, thats y i think overall our oline is overrated..they r good overall but get too much credit from some ppl..that initial double team duz allow the lbs to shoot the gap freely and by the time our rb hits the hole, he is being blown up by a linebacker or safety

We used to always hurry to the line and to a quick count QB sneak. I dont think Brady has ran a QB sneak all year. This would be a good option for a 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes