Welcome to PatsFans.com

33 straight red zone scores?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by thewaylifeshouldbe, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thewaylifeshouldbe

thewaylifeshouldbe Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Is that a defining story of our defense this year? I know we are doing poorly with 3rd and long conversion prevention, but that stat blows my mind.

Is it poor play calling or personnel?

2. patsfaninpa

patsfaninpa In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +100 / 9 / -3

Very un-athletic on defense doing us in this year. We need a pass-rusher. Please,
    don't tell about our 5 guys. We need a guy like Harrison or Woodley. Speed off of
    the edge. We need a cb. At least one, maybe two. And, we have to replace Rodney.
    BB has his work cut out for him this off-season. Defense is awful.

3. Patsman

Patsman On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If there is one thing that is absolutely obvious with this team it's that it's more than due for a defensive overhaul. It's gotten to the point where I expect the other team to convert third and long because of how slow we are in the middle of the field and on how bad we are on the corners. Even third and shorts are becoming gimme's to the uncovered Tight End. I know all about the professing of the bend but don't break defense, but this defense is fighting an uphill battle every game. There are no game changing plays made on defense(Vrabel today was an exception), no defensive points and just no overall pressure for the other team to perform/execute because it's so damn easy. I've reached a point where I feel like a Denver fan and have to hope that we either outscore the opponent, which is way too big a burden, or hope for the other team to make a couple really bad unforced errors. Today, coupled with last week, I kind of let go of my insatiable desire for the playoffs because this really isn't a team that could win more than one game if they were lucky. The defense is just way too big a shortcoming and you can't expect a first year QB to be Johny Unitas every time out. Please, not more offensive players in the first three rounds. We've learned that they're just as much a bust as they are a value and we've learned that you can find offense in a lot of other places. I don't want to say I'm cashing it in until 2009, but this team just feels soft to me. They feel finesse - I hate it.

4. dtbrks

dtbrks 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

redzone and third down D are statically near bottom of the NFL

5. marcus

marcus On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Agree:

defense needs to change.
    I thought BB used to be known for an agressive attacking defense...not this soft marshmellow, bend a hell of a lot and break most of the time approach.

The Patriots will not contend for a SB this year even if tehy make the playoffs.

They don't have the horses

6. dtbrks

dtbrks 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

they had more horses but they have been put in the stable for the rest of the season. IR'd players are hurting the team depth

7. Boston Jay

Boston Jay 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I agree with this sentiment unfortunately. Just not talented enough and injuries.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  8. crowell33

crowell33 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Time to say goodbye to 2 of my favorite patriots. Vrabel ( who had his first INT of the season today) has now gone 15 out of the last 16 games he has played without a sack ( according to Comcast Sports Net ), along with no forced or recovered fumbles all season. Bruschi has 0 INT's, 0 sacks, 0 forced fumbles and 0 fumble recoveries for the season. Almost impossible for a starting MLB.

9. Sean Pa Patriot

Sean Pa Patriot Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Dont Critisize the defense , because they should not be blamed at all.. :D

The secondary has too many inj and holes.. Pass rush has been ok..

10. brdmaverick

brdmaverick In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +59 / 3 / -0

#32 Jersey

33 straight red zone scores?

That stat doesn't bother me, what concerns me is the TD-FG ratio of those scores. When a team gets into the red zone, I'd say there is a 95% chance that the team scores at least a FG, so while 33 straight scores is obviously bad, it's not rediculous.

11. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

At least today they were holding them to FG's. First 3 Steeler RZ trips resulted in 13 points over the span of 2.5 quarters, I will take that any day against an offense as good as Pitt's. If we sustain drives and don't give up the big returns it may have been less. Then came the fumbles in our territory, and you're just asking too much from the defense.

12. nepatz11

nepatz11 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Bruschi and Vrabel are both no longer quality LB's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.