Welcome to PatsFans.com

32" Plasma vs. LCD TV

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by JoeSixPat, Jul 6, 2008.

1. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 2 / -0

Looks like I might soon join the modern TV age and get a HDTV -

Basically for what I can spend and the room I have I'm down to 2 different models - one a 32 inch LCD and the other a 32 inch plasma

I've studied up on the pros and cons of each

The Plasma that I saw (at least the store models) side by side with the same brand LCD seemed like it had the better picture - and was $50 less.

Wondering what others think about the pros and cons in practice. Seems to me that the Plasma has the better picture but others might disagree.

I know the plasmas use more energy - in this case I've compared the two models - one uses a maximum 250 v and the lcd uses a maximum 170 v - I'm not sure what that works out to per month or year of energy costs though.

Any other issues or concerns from fellow Patsfans before I make a decision?
  2. Zeke_Mowatt

Zeke_Mowatt Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Bring a DVD or something comparable to the store, preferably sports oriented, and have them play it on both tv's for you. As a sports first, movies/effects later person, I had to rule out both and go DLP, I just couldn't handle the refresh rate of either lcd or plasma compared to dlp for the cost. I know dlp isn't really available in the size you're talking about, and my gut is that the lcd was the bigger problem with tracers, refresh rate, etc, but definitely do an in-person study. The other question is if you have glare issues - I had big sliding doors to deal with, so plasma wasn't really a good call for me because I'd have gotten reflections way worse than I do now, so if you have a 32" setup only, but also have glare issues, lcd might be your only choice even though the trails you get can be pretty brutal.
  3. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +789 / 8 / -10

Disable Jersey

Go to avsforum.com and read the 32" section for knowlegeable comments on TVs there, a much better source than reading here. Me, next spring I'm buying a 32" LCD likely Sony Samsung or Sharp for my rental property. I've had a CRT 34" HD SONY since 2001. Weighs as much as a light OL.
  4. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +789 / 8 / -10

Disable Jersey

Oh and in case you're a member of the Global Warming cult, here's a concern...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,376304,00.html

"Booming demand for flat-screen televisions could have a greater impact on global warming than the world's largest coal-fired power stations, scientists warn.

A greenhouse gas called nitrogen trifluoride, used to make the TVs, is 17,000 times more potent than carbon dioxide, said Michael Prather, director of the environment institute at the University of California, Irvine.

Prather's research shows production of the gas, which remains in the atmosphere for 550 years, is "exploding".

It is expected to double by next year, from the current 4,000 tons produced annually.

But unlike other key greenhouse gases — such as carbon dioxide, sulphur hexafluoride (SF6) and perfluorocarbons (PFCs) — emissions of the gas are not restricted under the Kyoto protocol"

Another reason to panic!
  5. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +449 / 5 / -10

#61 Jersey

I got a Sony Bravia LCD last fall and am very happy with it. To me, the LCDs had sharper resolution than the plasmas, plus there's the risk of plasmas showing burn-though imaging over time.
  6. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +281 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I chose LCD for myself because I love the non glare screen, it wipes out all but the brightest glares. I do get a little motion blurring but it doesn't really bother me. Not sure how it compares to Plasma as I haven't watched a Plasma nearly as much.

Not to be confrontational, but for those on the political forum always yacking about MMGW, I hope you're selling your new HDTVs :

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07/03/nitrogen_trifluoride_tv/
  7. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Unless you have a very dark room forget the plasma. And they are still more prone to burn in than LCDs.
  8. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +281 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I was shocked when I stood in a Costco and looked at Plasmas and how much reflection there was off those factory style lights on the ceiling. I went in planning on Plasma and I walked out locked in on LCD.
  9. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Rookie

Ratings:
    +72 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

LCD is better for smaller tvs and Plasma better for biggerones. I am not sure where the cut off is but I would imagine somewhere in the 32 inch range. There are a lot of other factors too like how much light you get in the room.
  10. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 2 / -0

I wouldn't say the room is dark - but the TV placement ensures that it never sees direct sunlight - the worst reflection I've seen with the current regular TV is for a short period of time where an adjacent wall has a streak of sunlight that can be seen in reflection.

If its no worse than a regular TV that doesn't seem like a big issue to me.

As it stands we hardly get a chance to watch TV during the day anymore.

The "burn in" issue - is that with a static image that burns itself in? Would it happen in normal TV watching? Or only during the initial watching period? I don't do video games so if that's a burn in issue its not a factor.

Thanks for all the responses!
  11. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 2 / -0

I checked out the picture side by side on the Vizio LCD and Plasma and just think the plasma is so much better - part of that might be the better contrast ratio - and also I think the plasma can actually support up to 1080p

I think I can avoid the burn in issue well enough -

I'm sure I'm going to hear back from many who recommend a better brand but I'm willing to take my chances - especially since price is a big factor for me.

The Vizio 32 inch LCD is still $597 whereas the Plasma is now $527.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8477433

I was tempted to wait another month until Massachusetts has their tax free days to knock off another $25 but I kindof want this sooner rather than later.
  12. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

For $527 I'd say just buy it. But, one thing to keep in mind is less expensive HD TVs don't usually handle non-high def video (such as network TV that is not being broadcast HD) very well.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  13. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 2 / -0

Good advice - one of the good things about Walmart (and there are many bad things) is a liberal return policy. If I really don't like it, it can go back.
  14. blackglass3

blackglass3 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

In my office we have two 50" Dell Plasmas. Within 6 months, we were able to see the burn in from the ESPN and CNN ticker. And they don't look to hot with lights near it...we had to disconnect the florescent bulbs hanging over it so we could see it.

I have a 32" and a 42" Olevia LCD, and both are awesome. No glare, crisp HD and SD, vivid colors...I love them. The 32" is the family tv in the living room and is used everyday with no Noggin or Nickelodeon watermark burn in :D. I had a 61" rear projection, but due to weight concerns when I thought I was moving I sold it and bought the 42". The 42" looks so much better it's almost unreal.

So, if I could recommend a 32" Olevia, I would. I got my Olevia last year for about $520 with shipping from CompUSA, but I am not sure if they are still in buisness.
  15. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 2 / -0

Is the quality lower? Or is it just that stretched out look - I wonder if there's some way to set it for a regular display - probably would have the picture box black bars - which I know can be a concern given burn in concerns

But I also read that most makers now are taking steps to prevent that - imperceptably moving the pixels etc..

I downloaded the manual and didn't see a word about burn in concerns

I also read on a High Def forum that plasmas made after 2005 don't have the same burn in concerns.

I guess my only real question is whether, as Michael noted, am I going to be pissed about watching regular TV on this (I have digital cable via Cox with a good number of HD channels though)
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  16. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

It's just that they don't do a good job of interpreting the info and you may see artifacts and it may appear as though it's a little fuzzy on non-HD broadcasts. Any wide screen TV is going to stretch the regular 4/3 TV ratio. On mine you can set each channel for different ratios. For most I use a "Cinerama" setting which is not as wide as the 16/9 format. But for channels I don't care if it fills the screen like cable news I have it set to the normal 4/3 ratio.
  17. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

I just got a 26" Toshiba LCD HD (AV26500U), and it works pretty damn well. I've yet to get the HD DVR from Charter, but for now, the tuner picks up all the regular HD stations I would get free from Charter, except ESPN and ESPN2 - so that's CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, CSN, NESN, and PBS - but my LCD only displays in 720p, which is a little bit of a drawback.

It has 5 display settings - Natural, Full, TheaterWide1, TheaterWide2, and TheaterWide3. The last two are mainly for fixing letterbox movies and such. Natural will give you full widescreen for HD programs, and the regular 4:3 for normal programs. Full stretches normal programs to the edges, and TheaterWide1 only stretches the edges but cuts off some of the top and bottom.

The regular non-HD programs, I'd say, don't look terrific. But I think that's because I get used to watching one program in 720p, then I go one channel down and see something in 480i, and it really looks crappy. The only reason, I think, these look better on a regular non-HD TV is because such TVs are in 4:3 and you're just used to seeing them like that.
  18. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 2 / -0

Thanks - I guess for the plasmas the drawback is that the picture box (on the 4:3 display for those regular stations) could cause some image burn if used too much in the first 100 hours - but I think that TV can set those to be in gray instead of black.

One thing I did pick up on though is that they have a built in "image cleaner" - which I'd guess is probably just a view of static to remove any burned in image. There's also some DVDs that you can download, burn and play that do the same thing.

Supposedly the biggest concern is at the beginning - and also if you constantly have CNN on and are running a scroll on the bottom etc. - but I tend to flip a lot so that won't be an issue.

I'm checking it out again today - if I'm still blown away by the improved picture quality compared to the LCDs I'll probably pull the trigger.
  19. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Rookie

Ratings:
    +72 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

You mentioned it in another post but TVs now do account for the burn by having the image move very slightly on a regular basis. I have no idea if this technoligy is in all new HDTVs or not, I would probably find out about that if it is your biggest concern. We have a plasma that has the image move frequently and I play video games on it alot and have not had a problem ( TV is about 2 years old)
  20. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +296 / 4 / -2

What are you going to use the TV for mostly? (movies, sports, gaming...)

How far from the screen are you going to be? (distance from screen is important in determing size)

Does the room in question have any windows? (Plasma's will glare)

If it is replacing an older TV, what size is the older one? (a 40" HDTV = a 32" tube)

Have you ever considered shopping online? (no tax at most sites, plus free shipping, and a 30-60 day price match guarantee)

What's your budget look like? (a couple of hundred dollars makes a load of difference in size, and quality)

I bought a 52" Samsung LCD, 71f series in March. Whatever you do, don't buy too small. I was worried my 52" would be too big, and boy was I wrong. It's never too much TV, only too little. Also, take your time with your purchase. A TV is something you use all the time. There are distinct differences in the types, and makes available. Plasma's glare, use up more energy, do have pixelation issues sometimes, and have an increased risk of burn in (higher quality plasma's do not have this problem). The benefit of a plasma is better picture quality, more natural colors, and a higher quality broadcast of sports since Plasma's handle faster motion better (Some LCD's will exhibit TBE - triple ball effect during sports). LCD's are brighter, don't glare, are better for gaming (no burn in), have a 3D effect, and provide more "pop" as some like to say, which means the picture really jumps out of the screen at you. This will vary with different models. LCD's have come a long way over the last few years.

Here is a good site to get you started. Lots of reviews, and explanation of the different charactoristics of both technologies, and specific models.

http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5108580-1.html

AVS forums is great, as some one else mentioned. I joined up there before I decided on my TV.

www.avsforum.com

Places to look for pricing online:

www.Nextag.com

www.newegg.com

www.amazon.com

www.buy.com

It took me 5 months to finally buy a TV, from when I first started. I'm very happy with the TV I chose. What's funny is that the TV I eventually ended up buying, was the one I liked the most on the first day I went to look. So that's why I say that if you're not all that particular a person, go with what you think looks best.