Welcome to PatsFans.com

?????????????????????????

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Harry Boy, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +538 / 2 / -9

Imagine what America's health care system will be like in another 10 years with those Vermin Bastards in Washington running it.
    2012, so long democrats, so long President Jug Ears.

Todays News:
    Dec. 31 (Bloomberg) -- The Mayo Clinic, praised by President Barack Obama as a national model for efficient health care, will stop accepting Medicare patients as of tomorrow at one of its primary-care clinics in Arizona, saying the U.S. government pays too little.

More than 3,000 patients eligible for Medicare, the government’s largest health-insurance program, will be forced to pay cash if they want to continue seeing their doctors at a Mayo family clinic in Glendale, northwest of Phoenix, said Michael Yardley, a Mayo spokesman.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +880 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

Happy New Years old people ...

Thanks for helping to build this great country now please die off and move one.

Sincerely ... Barack Obama and the Democrats.
  3. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

PolitiFact | Obama claims Medicare benefits will not be cut under the health care bill

The St. Petersburg Times, which won the 2009 Pulitzer did a great even handed analysis of how Medicare is affected by health care reform legislation. The legislation proposes to cut $500 million without cutting payments. Huh? It will not have any future increases, so after adjusting for inflation, it will be cuts to the hospitals and doctors If they forgo the proposed $250 billion in cuts to the physicians which they have done annually, it balloons the budget deficit. If they keep the cuts, along with the Medicare cuts, what you will see is the Mayo Clinic at the tip of the iceberg. Physicians and hospitals will simply choose not to participate with Medicare rather than lose money on every Medicare patient making it harder for Medicare patients to find a participating hospital. The net result will be like Medicaid, the medical and dental state run plans for the indigent. It's nearly impossible outside the inner cities ( and rare then ) to find participating doctors.
  4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +184 / 4 / -6

Harry Boy, your post supports the need for health care reform. The Mayo Clinic will stop accepting Medicare under the current rules. That's why the rules need to be changed.
  5. Patters

Ratings:
    +184 / 4 / -6

My feeling is that once health care reform is passed, it will need to be modified. The Dems will propose increases in Medicare funding if necessary, and the Republicans will be hard pressed to oppose it especially since they have considerable support among the elderly. There's a lot of political positioning going on, IMHO, with the advantage to the Democrats.
  6. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

Why don't we just put them in ovens, like they did back in the old country. :confused2: :rolleyes:

Look for this type of stuff to not only continue, but to happen more often.
  7. Patters

Ratings:
    +184 / 4 / -6

It's heartening to see conservative advocate for increased Medicare funding. I too support increased Medicare funding, even if we don't get health care reform. People who helped build this country should not be denied quality health care.
  8. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

In theory, you're right. But in reality, that system is bankrupt...... and that is paying rates that do not cover the rising costs of services. That's why the Mayo clinic is not going to accept them anymore. They cannot afford to. These lose money out the wazzo. The Government cannot administrate ANYTHING efficiently. Medicare is one example.

It comes down to the reasons why services are so expensive? A simple thing like tort reform could save a boatload of money right of the bat. Congress won't touch it with a ten foot pole. That is just one example to show they aren't serious about health care reform. It's about giving Obama a trophy at this point.

Personally, I am not against health reform (its sorely needed), I'm just against THIS health reform.
  9. Patters

Ratings:
    +184 / 4 / -6

Actually, several studies have shown that tort reform would have a negligible impact on health costs. Also, if a doctor causes your brain child to become brain dead because of medical malpractice, how much do you think you should get to help your child? And do you favor tort reform across the board, or only for victims of medical malpractice? Further, if you read about medical malpractice suits, most of them are for relatively small money (around $250k on avg., I think I read) and are very justifiable. the tort reform movement basis its arguments on those rare absurd verdicts.

http://washingtonindependent.com/55535/tort-reform-unlikely-to-cut-health-care-costs

At lest one study touted by conservative websites says tort reform would save $54 billion over 10 years. That's $5 billion a year (and then they argue it would actually save $10 billion). While that's a substantial amount of change, it's hardly enough to fundamentally change the costs of health care in the US. Further, if there is tort reform, why would a hospital invest millions in improving their processes and delivery systems when they could just pay relatively small fines instead? But, again, I'm for victims rights, so I don't favor tort reform for those who are truly victims of medical malpractice.

http://hotair.com/archives/2009/10/10/cbo-tort-reform-would-save-54-billion-to-the-deficit/

Are you against victims rights for victims of medical malpractice?
  10. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +880 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

Next time you go to see your doctor ... ask him how he or his group is doing with Medicare. I have done this ... they need "X" amount of younger patients so they can make enough to do their job and help keep older people healthy.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  11. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +60 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I use to work with a Dr. Fingeroth, one of the best knee surgens in the country. I asked him one tiime what he charged for a total knee. He said $50,000, but if medicare is paying he only got $17,000. Still not bad for four hours work.
  12. Patters

Ratings:
    +184 / 4 / -6

We need to spend more to take care of our elderly. I agree.
  13. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Nice deflection :rolleyes:
  14. Patters

Ratings:
    +184 / 4 / -6

Everyone in this thread is talking about the concern that health care reform will cut more money from Medicare, when Medicare is isn't paying enough as is. I think we all agree that even without health care reform Medicare needs more money in order to take care of our elderly. That's what the thread is about. If there's any deflection, it's from you.
  15. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You missed his point entirely, you deflected to state the same old same old "more money, more money, more money" that has been used dozens of times over and over again :rolleyes:
  16. Patters

Ratings:
    +184 / 4 / -6

No, I think I got the point and the proof of that is that you are avoiding the question. Every post is about the fact that Medicare pays so little that elderly people can no longer go to the Mayo Clinic. There are two solutions: Screw the old people or increase Medicare spending. Which do you support?
  17. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I guess everybody was in a rush to go after health care reform that they missed the big reason why they did this...

The Mayo Clinic isn't like other hospitals, the doctors and hospital aren't paid by volume(they are paid a flat salary) so the number of patients and what the doctors are getting paid per patient isn't a problem: getting paid in a timely manner and getting paid more money for care is. Government funded patients isn't a wise business decision for the hospital, so they are no longer accepting them as a business decision :rolleyes:

When this happens at a major hospital that is volume based then the bashing of medicare, medicaid, health care reform, hospitals, doctors, greed, insurance etc. can go forth :rolleyes:
  18. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +880 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

So ... as they prepare to cut the money that doctors make ... consider this study from the Massachusetts Medical Society:

Massachusetts Medical Society | MMS Physician Workforce Study - 2009

http://www.massmed.org/AM/TemplateRedirect.cfm?Template=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=31513

http://www.massmed.org/AM/TemplateRedirect.cfm?Template=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=31511

Why will people enter the medical field if it will not sustain their family?

If it will not pay for their student loans?

If they are simply discouraged by the politics of medical care itself?
  19. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +880 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

My doctor stares into a laptop for most of my bi monthly visit. We discuss this all the time ... how impersonal the profession has become due to all the crap with insurers ... this new system will make it worse.

Prescription: more doctors - baltimoresun.com

20. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +880 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

One more thing ... the stupid far fetched idea of the Cadillac tax ... the most inane concept I have ever heard of. Rich people don't freaking need health insurance. If they have to pay a premium to get treatment then they will just move outside the system and deal in cash and/or barter.

This tax will move down the income tier ... to the low level white collar and blue collar people. Who will then choose lesser policies which will throw out the window the concept of keeping the care you now have.