PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

$300,000 in fines- this is getting stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Commander Shears said:
The fine numbers that keep being thrown around are the maximum that the Pats are allowed to fine Branch, not what they are actually charging him. Fining a hold-out virtually never happens, because all you're really doing is kicking the guy out the door and closing it behind him. You don't act like that kind of a hard-ass for a player you're trying to keep. If the Pats hold out any hope at all of resigning Branch now or next year, they won't fine him a penny.

Basically, the fines that get publicized, and the fines that are paid are two very different numbers. I believe everybody's favorite hillbilly, John Rocker, even talked about this recently.

Baseball in completely different. If he pushes this too far the Patriots will not hesitate to lower the boom. They can't allow this to go unchecked otherwise they will be dealing with it time after time.

Branch has until sometime next week at the maximum to report. He needs a couple of weeks to get his timing down between him, Brady, and the rests of his teammates.

He knows now that the Patriots are not going to budge. It would be in his best interest to report and then try to work something out with the team.

He seems to be getting some very bad advise from his agent. I hope that they wake up before it's too late.

I don't see Deion giving a half effort if he is playing and malcontent. He would devalue himself further and heck the guy cried when they lost to the broncos. the guy cares, but wants his cash. where's the middle ground?

Jacky Roberts said:
F*** Branch. We didn't need stud receivers to beat the Rams, we don't need this overrated crybaby to beat Dallas this year.

Jacky - your wrong. STOP dissing the guy. We know you don't approve of his holdout and that is OK. But do you have to keep insulting and swearing at the guy.You want to blame him for every evil that Patriots have even known from 1961 right up to the next 3 Superbowl wins with Brady??

Deion Branch can play ball, we need him back and he needs to be be back. I am here to say he will be back, sooner rather than later and all will be forgiven and forgotten as soon as he has a first downs and TD's.

You too will be cheering for the guy this year.

fgssand said:
Jacky - your wrong. STOP dissing the guy. We know you don't approve of his holdout and that is OK. But do you have to keep insulting and swearing at the guy.You want to blame him for every evil that Patriots have even known from 1961 right up to the next 3 Superbowl wins with Brady??

Deion Branch can play ball, we need him back and he needs to be be back. I am here to say he will be back, sooner rather than later and all will be forgiven and forgotten as soon as he has a first downs and TD's.

You too will be cheering for the guy this year.

The guy can play, no doubt, but he's not good enough to holdout like this. You can bet that everytime Branch drops a ball this season at home, he's going to get booed. I'll be booing him anyways.

Jacky Roberts said:
The guy can play, no doubt, but he's not good enough to holdout like this. You can bet that everytime Branch drops a ball this season at home, he's going to get booed. I'll be booing him anyways.

I agree with that statement - hold out was dumb dumb dumb.

He will have a lot of work to do to get back into the good graces of the fans. I do hope when he tries to explain things - he apologizes for dissapointing the thousands of kids and fans of New England that like(d) him so much.

Jacky Roberts said:
F*** Branch. We didn't need stud receivers to beat the Rams, we don't need this overrated crybaby to beat Dallas this year.
Hey! Troy was a stud in 2001. Top-10 WR, I'd say.. even if he was last on that list.

Last edited:
Re: Not a holdout????

Pats726 said:
Huh??? Not a holdout?? Apparently you have no understanding of the game of football and what it takes to win in the NFL. No holdout?? Maybe you are referring to baseball...or another sport. Football is a TEAM game in all ways and iit's not like you can come in one day and be a part of the whole..EVEN for a vet like Branch.

What I apparently lack in football knowledge :rolleyes: I make up for with common sense- the Pats didn't put Branch in for ONE snap of the preseason last year, so their top priority with Deion in the preseason is keeping him healthy. The Pats aren't going to worry about this until they are preparing for real games, and considering their first 2 opponents, they can let Deion work his way back into the offense for a couple of weeks before their first test against Denver.

richpats said:
What I apparently lack in football knowledge :rolleyes: I make up for with common sense- the Pats didn't put Branch in for ONE snap of the preseason last year, so their top priority with Deion in the preseason is keeping him healthy. The Pats aren't going to worry about this until they are preparing for real games, and considering their first 2 opponents, they can let Deion work his way back into the offense for a couple of weeks before their first test against Denver.

Are you out of it? This is not baseball.

This is the NFL you do not take any games lightly, even the Bill and Jets. You only have 16 games.

Branch needs to be in no later than two weeks before our first regular season game. He and the team needs that time in practice to get the timing down.

If he is not in by next week, then it becomes a big problem.

PATSNUTme said:
Are you out of it? This is not baseball.

This is the NFL you do not take any games lightly, even the Bill and Jets. You only have 16 games.

Branch needs to be in no later than two weeks before our first regular season game. He and the team needs that time in practice to get the timing down.

If he is not in by next week, then it becomes a big problem.

If he reported on September 5th, should the Pats not play him against the Bills OR Jets because he hasn't had his 2 weeks of practice?

He's a 4-year vet in this offense, this won't hurt the team unless he's not in uniform for Buffalo.

fgssand said:
I agree with that statement - hold out was dumb dumb dumb.

He will have a lot of work to do to get back into the good graces of the fans. I do hope when he tries to explain things - he apologizes for dissapointing the thousands of kids and fans of New England that like(d) him so much.
I agree..the holdout has been DUMB...but I doubt he ses it as such..the reason it all continues..I agree though he will have to work hard to get in the gaces of fans..absolutely!! I think the longer he stays out, the harder that will be..which is why I really don't think he cares about the fans...unfortunately. Agreed..much apologizing..but more than words, getting back to camp and getting ready for the season. I really think he has gone greedy and totally negating the poor PR all of this is doing..but frankly, if he has done this, does he really care?? It's all about the green..so why would he explain?? I think fans know what it is about..and not about...team..means nothing.

richpats said:
If he reported on September 5th, should the Pats not play him against the Bills OR Jets because he hasn't had his 2 weeks of practice?

He's a 4-year vet in this offense, this won't hurt the team unless he's not in uniform for Buffalo.

Your original statement said that we really didn't need him until the Denver game. That is what I took issue with.

Even with 5 days, the offense will not be as sharp. Don't forget, there are new WR's at #2 & #3. They have to all be on the same page or they will be running bad routes or into each other. Two weeks of practice would be the minimum to get them functioning as a unit should.

Pats726 said:
I agree..
It's all about the green..so why would he explain?? I think fans know what it is about..and not about...team..means nothing.

I know what you have written above to be true.

The business side of me says, yes, of course, it IS a business and nothing wrong with Deion going for the cash nor NE trying to pay him as little as possible.

The fan side of me wants to remain in fantasyland so as to keep sports as my personal escape from the reality of life.

If business side trumps fans side - the NFL will kill its golden goose (the fans).

PATSNUTme said:
Even with 5 days, the offense will not be as sharp. Don't forget, there are new WR's at #2 & #3. They have to all be on the same page or they will be running bad routes or into each other. Two weeks of practice would be the minimum to get them functioning as a unit should.
This isn't baseball...it takes a lot of time to get timing down working with 10 others on offense..and this is why a football holdout is a LOT worse than in other sports..so the quicker he gets back, the better...AND I think he knows this..

PATSNUTme said:
Your original statement said that we really didn't need him until the Denver game. That is what I took issue with.

My original statement said the Pats "can let him work his way back into the offense for a couple of weeks". I never said that we don't need him until Denver. He needs to play Week 1, either at full-go or just shaking off the rust. I want him firing on all cylinders for Denver.

fgssand said:

The business side of me says, yes, of course, it IS a business and nothing wrong with Deion going for the cash nor NE trying to pay him as little as possible. ...
Yes there is - he signed a freakin contract and he should honor it. And please don't say NFL contracts are unfair because teams can cut players - the NFLPA agreed to that and the player also did - and accepted a guaranteed signing bonus for doing nothing but promising to play, a promise he is now breaking.

I love Deion, but this holdout has been so stupid and selfish that I don't know I want him on my team long term anymore. Make him play this year, franchise him next and then move on.

I mean...so what Deion is underpaid?? What if Bruschi or Vrabel decided to sit out because they thought they were underpaid? Deion is making a COMPLETE FOOL out of himself. If everyone on the team acted as selfish/self-centered as he is now, there would be no team.

Plus, if he wants Reggie Wayne $$ he's dreaming. Just show up, honor your contract and try to get your payday when you hit FA. What a little selfish bytchass mofo. This is not at all comparable to the Seymour situation. Deion and his agent are just being complete dumba**es.

Last edited:
fgssand said:

The business side of me says, yes, of course, it IS a business and nothing wrong with Deion going for the cash nor NE trying to pay him as little as possible.

The fan side of me wants to remain in fantasyland so as to keep sports as my personal escape from the reality of life.

If business side trumps fans side - the NFL will kill its golden goose (the fans).
Yes..it is a tough one..I agree..and I keep thinking hoping waiting to see reasonableness win out..I mean, if the Pats had NOT offered him anything or had really low-balled it..OK, but they did not.

Finally got around to opening what i knew would be an agitated thread.

For both the the obvious financial and leverage considerations ...
and for the TEAM aspects emphasized by P726 and PatsNut ...
and realizing that not quite everyone in our lockerroom is a Wonderlic genius

... frankly, i'm no longer sure that Deion is
smart enough to be a Patriot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back