PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

$300,000 in fines- this is getting stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I have been one of the few that have been patient on the Branch thing. I figured that it was no big deal, business only. This was the only way that Branch could make his point.

Now I'm looking at this differently. The fines are now at or appoaching $300,000. His point had been made last week and now he is just being stupid.

There is no way that BB will cave in to his demands while he is holding out. It just won't happen. BB won't let it happen even if Tom has to throw to a one legged grandmother. He can't give in to Branch or the team will be facing situations like this all of the time.

So, the only solution for Branch is to come in and both he and his agent to keep their mouths shut. A deal, like waiving the fines, can be made quietly. Maybe even a bonus of some sorts could be agreed to and paid later in the year when things have died down.

But, Branch needs to get his ass in camp NOW!

The funny, or stupid, part is that it doesn't change anything for 5 months from now. The Patriots still can let him go as a UFA or Franchise him whether he sits out until Week 10 or not. Assuming the Patriots don't cave, which is a good assumption at this point, Branch is literally giving this year's salary away as the fines will approximately equal his salary for Weeks 10-16.

Yes...this is getting very dumb...not only could this be a wash money wise, but he will have gotten a bad reputation /It looks like Chuyut is looking for gold for himself..Just a poor sitiatiom. It's not like Branch is the most durable wideout or even close to being like the top ones...This will not end well..unless the Twig gets some sense into him..

Pats726 said:
Yes...this is getting very dumb...not only could this be a wash money wise, but he will have gotten a bad reputation /It looks like Chuyut is looking for gold for himself..Just a poor sitiatiom. It's not like Branch is the most durable wideout or even close to being like the top ones...This will not end well..unless the Twig gets some sense into him..

I agree he is looking like a selfish malcontent(wich we all know he is not), which may devalue him on the open market. This fraternity of owners have a tendency to stick together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which days does Deion get docked 14k? Is it just training camp? What about when the season starts? Does he not get paid the game checks too if he doesn't show up till week 10? How much is this guy going to lose all in all if we assume he only comes back in week 10? Last question, does week 10 include the bye week or is that just 10 games?

One of the worst parts about this is that Deion has always been viewed by most people as a quality type guy. He's letting his agent drag him down the toilet.

And here's the wierd thing. On two different nights, I have heard both Curran and Felger say that the deal that the Patriots offered Branch was fair. He doesn't even have the media on his side as most players do.

Hey, $20mil extension with $8mil in bonuses- that sounds pretty fair to me.

Did BB say he was being fined?

pats60 said:
Did BB say he was being fined?

Two days ago they listed his fines to be $266,000 in the Boston Globe. So, if you add three more days, including today, @ $14,000 per day, that's $308,000.

BB "will not comment on players not in camp."

im just afraid even after we resign him that maybe he doesnt give it his all for a few games where he technically isnt getting paid

unless the Pats fine a legit #2 anyway, Branch will be in double coverage a lot anyway, so i don't even care if he comes back if we don't have a #2 guy.

i hope your joking..Caldwell or Jackson would be fine at #2

Remix 6 said:
im just afraid even after we resign him that maybe he doesnt give it his all for a few games where he technically isnt getting paid

You're assuming we re-sign him, I doubt that can happen at this point. And if they did they wouldn't impose the fines, which they can do at any point - they don't have to officially notify him or his agent in advance of imposing them because they can just be deducted from any paychecks he is due once he does show up.

If he holds out into the regular season he will just notice that his paycheck has shrunk to....$0. I believe the reason the NFLPA will suggest he return by week 9 is because otherwise he won't even clear gas money from the last 6 checks once the fines are deducted and would actually owe the team out of pocket for the balance. If he shows up for week 1 it's up to them whether or not he sees a cashable paycheck for the first 6 weeks. They likely wouldn't impose the fines if he did though so as not to create an even worse environment going forward. That is probably the only tradeoff that is likely still on the table - show up for the first game and we don't impose the fines.

Willie Andrews has been doing a little WR, who needs this Deion guy? :D

MoLewisrocks said:
That is probably the only tradeoff that is likely still on the table - show up for the first game and we don't impose the fines.

I honestly don't think we need to consider this a real holdout until September 10th. The Pats have nothing to lose by Branch not showing up to TC, if anything it guarantees a healthy #1 WR if/when he shows. Branch has nothing to lose by holding out of TC either - he'll never have to pay these fines, if anything he's just grand-standing to make it appear like he's willing to sit out and take a huge financial hit for his cause. Branch/Chayut are just trying to make the Pats sweat at this point. They know the Pats won't agree to not franchise Deion next year.

Is he entitled to his salary if he does not show up for work? I would assume his contract is in payment for services. If he is not rendering his services I would assume the Patriots, under its contract with Branch, is not obligated to pay him. The fines would be in addition to his loss of income under the contract. He is not only going to lose his salary until he reports, but he will also incur $14k in daily fines until he reports. A double whammy.

The fine numbers that keep being thrown around are the maximum that the Pats are allowed to fine Branch, not what they are actually charging him. Fining a hold-out virtually never happens, because all you're really doing is kicking the guy out the door and closing it behind him. You don't act like that kind of a hard-ass for a player you're trying to keep. If the Pats hold out any hope at all of resigning Branch now or next year, they won't fine him a penny.

Basically, the fines that get publicized, and the fines that are paid are two very different numbers. I believe everybody's favorite hillbilly, John Rocker, even talked about this recently.

Not a holdout????

richpats said:
I honestly don't think we need to consider this a real holdout until September 10th. The Pats have nothing to lose by Branch not showing up to TC, if anything it guarantees a healthy #1 WR if/when he shows. Branch has nothing to lose by holding out of TC either - he'll never have to pay these fines, if anything he's just grand-standing to make it appear like he's willing to sit out and take a huge financial hit for his cause. Branch/Chayut are just trying to make the Pats sweat at this point. They know the Pats won't agree to not franchise Deion next year.
Huh??? Not a holdout?? Apparently you have no understanding of the game of football and what it takes to win in the NFL. No holdout?? Maybe you are referring to baseball...or another sport. Football is a TEAM game in all ways and iit's not like you can come in one day and be a part of the whole..EVEN for a vet like Branch.

Re: Not a holdout????

Pats726 said:
Huh??? Not a holdout?? Apparently you have no understanding of the game of football and what it takes to win in the NFL. No holdout?? Maybe you are referring to baseball...or another sport. Football is a TEAM game in all ways and iit's not like you can come in one day and be a part of the whole..EVEN for a vet like Branch.

I think it's safe to say that once Branch gets into camp, assuming he's in shape, it won't take him more than 2 or 3 days to become part of the "whole". It's not like he's never caught a pass from Brady.

I don't really see what the big issue is this year. This could have a significant impact on NEXT year's team. But not this year. I do believe Branch will be fined some amount smaller than the max. But for him, it's a calculated risk - pay a fine in exchange for not risking injury during TC. It doesn't endear him to the fans, but it might be a smart move for him. Of course it would have been smarter to accept the Pats' offer, but that's a different issue.

Re: Not a holdout????

bucky said:
I think it's safe to say that once Branch gets into camp, assuming he's in shape, it won't take him more than 2 or 3 days to become part of the "whole". It's not like he's never caught a pass from Brady.

I don't really see what the big issue is this year. This could have a significant impact on NEXT year's team. But not this year. I do believe Branch will be fined some amount smaller than the max. But for him, it's a calculated risk - pay a fine in exchange for not risking injury during TC. It doesn't endear him to the fans, but it might be a smart move for him. Of course it would have been smarter to accept the Pats' offer, but that's a different issue.

From what I'm seeing with the emphasis on the running game and TEs, Mills, etc., I'd say it would take a bit more than a couple days to get with the program. This offense is looking very different to me, and a receiver needs to start understanding that he'll be playing in a radically different space than last year with backs and TEs hanging out over the middle.

F*** Branch. We didn't need stud receivers to beat the Rams, we don't need this overrated crybaby to beat Dallas this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back