PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3-way trade? Graham/Lelie/Duckett?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what I'd like to do? Send Graham, Asante Samuel, and maybe a fifth rounder to the Eagles for Sheldon Brown, and Greg Lewis.

maverick4 said:
This trade makes perfect sense for all parties involved. To answer TheArchives, the Falcons have Vick, two good RB's, and are strongly slanted towards being a running offense.

I had a guess that Graham wouldn't be re-signed and would be traded before Belichick drafted two TE's in this year's draft. Post-draft, I am almost convinced this will actually happen. Trading players you won't re-sign in their final year will become the new 'June 1' cut; it will become very popular, similar to how it is in the NBA.

If the Pats get Lelie and a 3rd or 4th rounder, it will be a great trade.

No way we need Graham to help our running game which has not been too stellar. Besides would Lelie fit in the locker room with his #1 attitude.

Last edited by a moderator:
if we arent resigning Graham..it would seem fine to trade him but consider

Falcons would receive a draft pick from us

Lelie wants to be paid aswell and be a #1 or #2 WR..hes #3 in Denver with Walker coming in

Graham is only experienced TE right now..Watson is still in learning phase.

I would rather acquire Duckett because he can help goal line but that would mean Dillon would need to be gone while Duckett is still young and could help us longer but Dillon is more proven and Duckett i believe has a nice salary with him so in my opinion..it doesnt work. Lelie would be stuck behind Branch..our #1 WR past few seasons..fight with Jackson who is a 1st round caliber..could be a Pro Bowler in a few years but maybe not with us because we dont neccessarily go to 1 guy too much..Caldwell..who used to be #2 but was ready to take #1 before getting hurt.. He wouldnt settle for 3rd or 4th WR at all because thats why he wants out of Denver. Duckett...so much potential..could be a good fit with him and Maroney for years to come but not so sure

re

Why would we give up a draft pick? Us Receiving a mid-round pick is more like it.

We don't need Duckett, we already have Maroney.

We have Big Ben Watson who is ready to become a complete, all-around stud at blocking and receiving. Thomas has hands of glue, and Mills was a steal at #4.

Trading for Lelie will give us 3 decent receivers, and will also give Branch less leverage for his own negotiations.

This trade would be very welcomed!!

i didnt know we had Maroney...sarcasm

once Maroney becomes starter..and Dillon is gone..we might want a guy to help take some off Maroney.yeah..thats a good thing..give him 5 carries a game but nevermind that ..

LELIE WANTS TO BE THE #1 OR #2 WR (MAYBE) thats why he wants out of Denver..its not that he cant get along..its because they were looking to draft a 1st round WR or trade for a good WR to eventually take over as #1 WR when Smith is gone..so Lelie though..hmm im stuck as #2 when Rod is gone..so he cried and is wanting out

First off, my .02 on the trade is that I much prefer the attitude demonstrated (at least what has thus far been shown) by Graham to that of Lelie. He is very much the pats type of blue collar lunchpail player that Bellichick likes. Lelie on the other hand has not done much of anything to demonstrate that he should be a no. 1 receiver. I just think that Graham provides more versatility than any other TE on the team (blocking in the running and passing game as well as catching the ball in the passing game) and much much more versatility than Lelie would bring.
That being said, there is one consideration I havent seen mentioned yet. That of the *possible* problems signing Branch to an extension. If there is some reason for Bellichick to believe that they wont be able to come to an understanding (contract extension) with Branch and he will be gone next year, then that makes the Lelie (as much as I dont like him) a good pickup. He would in no way be able to replace the production of Branch (at least not from what he has demonstrated) but it would mitigate the loss of Branch should it occur ... and if (big if) they can get Lelie signed to an extension.

maverick...seriously...I respect your right to an opinion...but I just don't understand how you can reach these conclusions so effortlessly...

maverick4 said:
We have Big Ben Watson who is ready to become a complete, all-around stud at blocking and receiving. I love Ben Watson, but how is this not speculative? And if we were a single-TE team, why spend the 1sts on Graham and Watson?? Thomas has hands of glue In the NCAA--but he hasn't even played a pre-season game. , and Mills was a steal at #4 Even while another thread questions his value at #4....

This trade would be very welcomed!! This trade would suck donkey balls...Lelie is jerk by known accounts and wants to be paid more than Branch...

re

Flying Fungi said:
maverick...seriously...I respect your right to an opinion...but I just don't understand how you can reach these conclusions so effortlessly...

I've learned, primarily through Bledsoe, Law, and Milloy, to let go of emotional attachments with any player.

maverick4 said:
I've learned, primarily through Bledsoe, Law, and Milloy, to let go of emotional attachments with any player.

fair enough--I actually was thinking of starting a thread detailing just that concept--about how a fan of today's NFL needs to become more accepting of player movements...

Its funny how over the last few days the notion that Graham might not be re-signed - and as such might be considered a candidate for trade, has been widely discounted - and even ridiculed by so many here

But now with a published report in which Graham is mentioned as the subject of a three way trade, the notion is somehow more acceptable all of a sudden

That being said I still have serious doubts about the validity of this particular rumor... I don't so much doubt that Graham could be traded - (although I think we'd need to bring a veteran 3rd string TE in rather than banking on Watson and Thomas to stay healthy and get us through the season)

Its just that I think there's a different motive with this trade.

Letting the rumor of a trade percolate could help both the Broncos and the Patriots - I'm not sure what benefit the Falcons have

It could help the Patriots to 1.) encourage other GMs to make offers for Graham or 2.) to illustrate to Graham that he might do well to resign for low money now, rather than risk injury this season, be cut and without a contract

For the Broncos it seems to me Shanahan needs to show that there is interest in Lelie - because it seems like there's been none since his availability before the draft became known

So my gut tells me that THAT is the actual motive behind this rumor, rather than an actual trade of Graham PLUS a draft pick for Lelie, as I'd need to be convinced of the value of a Graham for Lelie straight up - let alone having us add a draft pick to the mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradyWoot
Our backup tight end who's in the last year of his deal and won't be resigned for a wide reciever who has been productive and is only 26 years old? Of course you make this deal.

How do you know that?

Theres a reason they drafted Dave Thomas in the 3rd round and it wasn't to keep him as a 3rd string tight end for his career.

Graham's a beast, great blocking, solid receiving. He and Watson are going to be so huge in the offense this season. Why trade him? That's crazytalk.

graham for lelie

I know everyone says lelie would not fit in here but i dont see how he wouldnt he is tall we dont have a tall reciever he can get down field and make big plays and who knows maby he will have something to play for here if he does come!

It just seems to me with our lack at Wr that the chances of us getting him here for graham seems like a good possibility

bradybunch said:
I know everyone says lelie would not fit in here but i dont see how he wouldnt
Explain to me once again how a player who insists on being the #1 WR, and asks for a trade if he isn't regardless of how he plays, will fit in so well with the Pats?

have you ever heard of someone changing with the environment?

he would be able to be a **** if he came here BB wont let it happen!

Graham..gone after this year..BUT NOT in this trade

They talked about this ;ast night...Pats get Lelie Broncos get Graham and Duckett and Atlanta gets draft picks from NE and Den...Huh???? Sorry Lelie for Graham and a pick?? NO WAY!! Even Felger kept saying how he hated it hated it....I agree a BAD trade!!!!
Although, I really think this is Graham's last year here...They were talking about ths on PFW...Someone asked since Thomas and Mills were drafted if that meant Graham was gone,,they said no, since Graham wasn't like the two drafted..but the reading between the lines, they talked about how DG sort of has slipped into the role of the blocking TE..hasn't bee used as much as receievr and has sort of wanted to go back to Colorado. They alos made a big point by saying a blocking TE..JUST blocking can be found quite easily..many vets..or a draftee. To me, I read it as FG's last year here..but given that fact why a dumb trade?? AND a draft pick?? I think the pick should be coming here..not leaving...and if that is the case for DG, he has had great years here!!

Yeah NO WAY. Graham is a great blocker a key blocker we need him, JUST ONE MORE YEAR EVEN!!! The only...and I mean only way I'd go for Lelie is if we are in panic mode and Branch doesnt play, which I hope doesnt become the case.

Pats726 said:
They also made a big point by saying a blocking TE.., JUST blocking ... can be found quite easily..many vets..or a draftee.

That's what me and maverick have been saying (though not going so far as suggesting a rookie)... though you'd think we said the sky was green.

Graham - who has yet to play a 16 game season and is injured AGAIN - will not be resigned at $3 mil a year JUST to block and catch an occasional pass.

BB has already shown that when it comes to goaline blocking and TD catches he's nearly as likely to turn to Mike Vrabel or Richard Seymour as he is Graham... which should cause just a little bit of pause when we consider how "vital" a re-signing priority he is.

He is a very good blocker, and for a long while no one appreciated that - but now everyone's gone overboard jumping on the bandwagon and making it sound like no one else can block on the team.

Id say do it, Reche is a unknown, Deion, thinks he should be the next Terell Owens, Troy has 1 yr left, and then there is Chad.. Graham, who we would miss his blocking, but never was a huge factor in the passing game, is gone next yr, lets get something for him.. he is not particpating in camp could be a sign...

JoeSixPat said:
That's what me and maverick have been saying (though not going so far as suggesting a rookie)... though you'd think we said the sky was green.

Graham - who has yet to play a 16 game season and is injured AGAIN - will not be resigned at $3 mil a year JUST to block and catch an occasional pass.

BB has already shown that when it comes to goaline blocking and TD catches he's nearly as likely to turn to Mike Vrabel or Richard Seymour as he is Graham... which should cause just a little bit of pause when we consider how "vital" a re-signing priority he is.

He is a very good blocker, and for a long while no one appreciated that - but now everyone's gone overboard jumping on the bandwagon and making it sound like no one else can block on the team.
I agree..I really wasn't convinced about Graham wishing to go to Denver or out west, but the way they talked about it one could read between the lines..he wants to go..and that is all fine...no problem!!! BUT they also thought this trade was not good.. thought the Pats were giving up way too much...and I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back