PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3-way trade? Graham/Lelie/Duckett?

Status
Not open for further replies.
JR4 said:
I hope this is true and this absurd idea is dead.

KFFL reports:
---------------------------------------------------
Broncos | Shanahan denies three-team trade involving Lelie
Fri, 9 Jun 2006 09:43:24 -0700

Mike Klis, of the Denver Post, reports Denver Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan denied reports a three-team trade was in the works that would involve WR Ashley Lelie.

:D Everyone must have skimmed right past my post on the last page with that exact same article. Either that or everyone has me on ignore which is a very good possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
JR4 said:

KFFL reports:

Mike Klis, of the Denver Post, reports Denver Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan denied reports a three-team trade was in the works that would involve WR Ashley Lelie.

In other news, Shanahan confirmed that Eleanor Roosevelt could fly, that chickens have lips, and that Jake Plummer is the Broncos' Quarterback Forever.

PFnV

JR4 said:
That's nice but teams hardly ever confirm talks before deals are done. Shefter had everyone denying and laughing about trading Portis a few years back.

That scenario is basically another trading disappointing problem children scenario, and I don't think 2006 Graham fits that mix unless he too is hinting at a holdout and we just haven't heard it. 2007 he might be only because of contract demands coupled with durability concerns. In that case you tag him, even transition, and get something in return. And if you find you can't get what you want or you don't need him at the transition price you can pull that tag and wave to him in June.

Today you need 3 viable TE's on the roster and the top 3 you have are all easily affordable. You might need another WR but likely even BB doesn't know that yet. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. If in camp Caldwell isn't impressing or Jackson is struggling or Deion hasn't shown up, then maybe you go into desperation mode.

But that remains months away. You don't pre-emptively weaken yourself at a current position of strength because you anticipate potential weakness at another position. Because if you anticipate wrong you are really screwed. Lelie or any other problem child WR would be scant comfort if Watson blew his other knee in camp and we were left with day two rookies plus whatever JAGS we could then scrounge up out of late roster cuts at the position.

If BB were that concerned about WR I think he would have taken a shot at Jurevicious or the Falcons FA, and reports after the fact seemed to indicate he didn't even sniff. He looked at Walker and then grabbed Jackson instead to offset Givens loss. He was so unconcerned after that he just traded Bethel for a nose tackle.

JR4 said:

KFFL reports:

How could Mike Klis possibly understand one word that the horse-toothed incomprehensible coach said? Did he write it down for him? :)

BelichickFan said:
That's nice but teams hardly ever confirm talks before deals are done. Shefter had everyone denying and laughing about trading Portis a few years back.

I guess we'll find out. Someone might be taking a cue from the Poston Brothers School of Negotiating... start a rumor in the press in the hopes of making it happen.

Most GMs probably figure based on post-draft reports that Graham is available after next year and therefore might be available via trade so maybe Shanahan does have his eye on him.

But probably more likely, Shanahan just needs to show a degree of interest in Lelie - because for all his talent his attitude has turned off everyone - and if he hopes to move him he's got to make other GMs think others are interested in him too.

Armen Da Pats Fan said:
I agree, but it said the picks may be going to Atlanta?

Those better be from Denver and not us!

We deserve some significant picks if we're basically trading Graham for Lelie!

Exactly right! Why would we ever do this? Crazy talk. I'll bet their "league sources" are Patsfans.com!

Lelie, is to the Broncos, what Bethel Johnson was to the Patriots.

No thanks.

If the Patriots have decided they are done with Graham, I have no problems if they want to trade him, but not Lelie.

I happen to think that Grahams blocking skills are highly valuable.

mcdonut16 said:
Lelie, is to the Broncos, what Bethel Johnson was to the Patriots.
Last 2 years.

Lelie : 96-1854
Johnson : 14-241

I don't think this will happen but let's not get too silly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be severly disappointed in that scenerio. Right now we are fully stocked on aging running backs and Graham is the guy that keeps Brady alive when the LT can't handle the DE. Lelie would not really fit in well with the guys we have.

BelichickFan said:
Last 2 years.

Lelie : 96-1854
Johnson : 14-241

I don't think this will happen but let's not get too silly.

I don't think we would have let BJ go if he had averaged nearly 50 catches a season. And while I'm not keen on their attitudes, neither Lelie nor BJ are going to win any sportsmen of the year awards, but nor should they be confused with Terrell Owens.

It's a pretty interesting proposal, really. I don't like giving up the extra pick, but if they aren't going to resign Graham, it's not such a bad move. Lelie is VERY talented, and though people say he acts like he wants to be a #1 receiver like it's a bad thing, I like receivers who WANT to be the #1 receiver. Though he hasn't lived up to his draft hype, he would address a major need.

Though Graham is the best blocking TE in football, he has underacheived as a receiving TE. Let us not forget that he too was a #1 draft choice, and I believe he was the John Mackey award winner as best college TE and 1st team all-American (over Shockey), and has never really lived up to that billing.

I agree that we need his blocking, but if he isn't in the plans for the forseable future, it might not be a bad move.

Our backup tight end who's in the last year of his deal and won't be resigned for a wide reciever who has been productive and is only 26 years old? Of course you make this deal.

JR4 said:

Agreed. BTW -- It's Shanahan's eyes that scare me not the fact that he's incomprehensible. He's Christopher Walken scary.

TomBradyWoot said:
Our backup tight end who's in the last year of his deal and won't be resigned for a wide reciever who has been productive and is only 26 years old? Of course you make this deal.

How do you know that?

I have no problem picking up Lelie, it would be good to get another good talented WR and then our WR depth should look pretty decent. Now the problem I have trading Graham is that he is a terrific blocking tight end and hes like the Sixth Man out there, the guys a beast and can really open up holes. Lelie wants to be #1 reciever. Everyone does. Now that may be a problem with me because it is quite obvious Branch will be #1. I hope we re sign Branch to a long term deal rather than get Lelie but I wont throw a fit if we do trade for him.

Don't like this trade, resign Grahambo,

PatsFanInVa said:
Sometimes it's boring to be a Pats fan, because you cannot have this delusion that, say, Saints fans have, of being smarter than your own personnel guys.

Still and all, I don't like Lelie either, and don't plan to start liking him until/unless there's a flying elvis on the side of his helmet. (Boy that Jon Sullivan, he's going to be a beast in this league!)

PFnV

Perfect!

I hate making it unanimous ... but me too.
One season of Grahambo is worth more than the entire rest of Lelie's career.

Everyone has valid points regarding the trade. However, it's going to be pretty difficult to re-sign Graham after the season. After drafting Thomas and Mills (who figures to be an H-Back) leaves Graham in a odd position. Graham is going to test free agency because he is a quality starting tight end. Watson has obviously taken over as the starting tight end so Graham probably wants to start elsewhere. At worst, we get Leile to shore up the reciever position instead of Graham leaving and the Pats get nothing. With that said, I would be suprised to see the Pats trade Graham and I don't think it will happen. I thought Denver wanted a tight end? Why would the Broncos want Duckett? And why do the Falcons need Graham, don't they have Crumpler?

re

This trade makes perfect sense for all parties involved. To answer TheArchives, the Falcons have Vick, two good RB's, and are strongly slanted towards being a running offense.

I had a guess that Graham wouldn't be re-signed and would be traded before Belichick drafted two TE's in this year's draft. Post-draft, I am almost convinced this will actually happen. Trading players you won't re-sign in their final year will become the new 'June 1' cut; it will become very popular, similar to how it is in the NBA.

If the Pats get Lelie and a 3rd or 4th rounder, it will be a great trade.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back