3-way trade? Graham/Lelie/Duckett?

Status
Not open for further replies.

natescape

Rookie
Reaction score
Article here.

John Murphy of Yahoo Sports says:
A league source said that the Broncos have been associated with another veteran running back – T.J. Duckett of the Atlanta Falcons – as part of a potential three-team trade. The deal would also send Broncos wide receiver Ashley Lelie to the New England Patriots and Patriots tight end Daniel Graham to the Falcons, who could also receive a draft choice.

Whaddaya think? Interesting trade?

To clarify: Pats get Lelie, Falcons get Graham, Broncos get Duckett

Last edited:
Works for me. I am a big fan of three ways. :)

natescape said:
Article here.

John Murphy of Yahoo Sports says:
A league source said that the Broncos have been associated with another veteran running back – T.J. Duckett of the Atlanta Falcons – as part of a potential three-team trade. The deal would also send Broncos wide receiver Ashley Lelie to the New England Patriots and Patriots tight end Daniel Graham to the Falcons, who could also receive a draft choice.

Whaddaya think? Interesting trade?

No.

That would be an awful trade.

Graham is better than both Lelie and Duckett combined.

Duckett is an underachiever who's not durable despite his size. Lelie is strictly a fly-pattern deep threat who's awful at the medium and short pass depth levels. He also wants a big contract.

Graham is the best blocker among starting TE and has good, not great receiving skills. With Watson's rise, I'm not optimistic that the Pats and Graham can come to a long-term deal, but I'd rather have one year of Graham (the Pats can always tag him) than Lelie.

If the Pats can trade Graham, I hope it would be for draft picks.

Last edited:
Well it does match up with Adam Shefter's report. For me it would depend on Lelie's attitude of supposedly wanting to be the #1 guy. That would be an issue, obviously, but if it's been overblown then it's interesting if we re-signed him for appropriate money. I'm a big fan of trading guys a year before they become UFA.

I don't understand why Graham is being devalued as a Patriot other than perhaps just for contract reasons. He's a solid player coming into his prime and I'd like to see us hold onto him. Graham and Watson at tight end with Thomas in the mix is a pretty solid unit. Mills is projected as more of an H-back/fullback type anyway, isn't he? I don't think we need Lelie, and if a trade WAS made we should get more than just him for Graham. I don't think we really need additional high-profile help at WR. My bet is that Jackson will emerge quickly as our No. 2, with Caldwell our No. 3. Then you have Troy and Childress in reserve. Keeping in mind that Graham and Watson can cover ground and catch the ball, I think our receiving corps shapes up nicely as is.

Last edited:
I agree that Graham for Lelie (essentially) isn't even in terms of talent level, but we'd be trading from a position of strength and depth to shore up a position that lacks some depth and strength.

Don't like it at all. I am not a fan of Lelie.

hate it. Id rather play gramhbo as a WR than ashley.

Given the amount of flack I've taken from other posters around here for suggesting:

1.) Graham might not be in our long term plans and
2.) if he's not in our long term lans why not trade him to get something in return

...there's probably a lot of people around here hoping these reports are completely erroneous... ;)

And indeed you never know -

Denver no doubt read the post-draft Globe and Herald reports that looked at the selection of Thomas and Mills (who would really need to add some bulk if he's going to be a TE in the NFL) as an indication that the Pats were preparing for life without Graham.

Maybe they want Graham and are the only source of these reports in the hopes of making a trade happen. I think Lelie is talented but is his own worst enemy and no one - including the Patriots - are probably beating down Denver's door in an effort to get him. I know he's far from my first choice as veteran depth at WR even though we still have a need there.

But whether this trade rumor has some truth to it or not, it's still clear to me that the Patriots are not going to spend $3 mi+ a year on a TE who is primarilly a blocker... if blocking is THAT important in a TE then plug in any number of DL or OL guys at that position to do exactly that and save yourself the high salary.

Last edited:
Daniel Graham shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence with those other 2.

The only way this works is if there is a high draft pick involved.

Broncos | Shanahan denies three-team trade involving Lelie
Fri, 9 Jun 2006 09:43:24 -0700

Mike Klis, of the Denver Post, reports Denver Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan denied reports a three-team trade was in the works that would involve WR Ashley Lelie.

I'd keep Graham over Lelie any day.

I would not like this trade .... unless of course we also got a first or second round pick in addition to Lelie.

Wouldn't go so far as Desi here, but I really would rather keep Grahambo than get Lelie, just from what I've seen so far. Lelie is like a rich man's Bethel Johnson, though he's caught way more balls. He just doesn't catch many when measured against the guys he should have overtaken by now (Rod Smith for instance.) He's a perfect-level "co #1" with two other guys, so he would represent an upgrade, and in that sense, a good fit for the Pats. But the whole idea of wanting to depart for #1 status/money? If that's reality rather than rumor, it's something we don't want or need, running the spread attack.

All that said, as a talent evaluator, I'm not Scott Pioli or Bill Belichick by any stretch. I also watch the game, see some highlights, and forget about it, while they scrutinize every turn of the foot and every reach of the arm - watch the film, run it backwards, freeze it, talk about a frame, run it again - etc. Hence my "In Bill We Trust" attitude/caveats on every post. They've proven they don't just do that better than me -- that's a given -- they do it better than anybody in the league (which is the part that matters.)

Sometimes it's boring to be a Pats fan, because you cannot have this delusion that, say, Saints fans have, of being smarter than your own personnel guys.

Still and all, I don't like Lelie either, and don't plan to start liking him until/unless there's a flying elvis on the side of his helmet. (Boy that Jon Sullivan, he's going to be a beast in this league!)

PFnV

I agree...no fan of Lelie..and now with this "I want to be number 1" attitude..NOT good...I think he might even be a REAL distraction..sorry he doesn't seem at all liek a Pats type player..and talent wise..HARDLY a number one. If you add money demands, it's obvious he wants big bucks?? That is 3 qualities in a player I DON'T like. SO no..not good!! If it were a receiver that was a true number one...had a great attitude..and for NOT a ton of money..I would consider it. I like Graham..he's the best blocker in the league at TE..so??/ It would have to be a 2 pick coming with Lelie and even then, I would have to think a lot!! Don't like it..and I don't think Bioli does either..

Not to mention that Atlanta has one of the top 10 TEs already on their roster.

dhamz said:
Don't like it at all. I am not a fan of Lelie.

same here.

dryheat44 said:
Not to mention that Atlanta has one of the top 10 TEs already on their roster.

yes, but <wink> Daniel Graham would be a decent back-up to someone like Alge Crumpler <wink>.

Flying Fungi said:
Daniel Graham shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence with those other 2.

The only way this works is if there is a high draft pick involved.

I agree, but it said the picks may be going to Atlanta?

Those better be from Denver and not us!

We deserve some significant picks if we're basically trading Graham for Lelie!

I hope this is true and this absurd idea is dead.

KFFL reports:
---------------------------------------------------
Broncos | Shanahan denies three-team trade involving Lelie
Fri, 9 Jun 2006 09:43:24 -0700

Mike Klis, of the Denver Post, reports Denver Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan denied reports a three-team trade was in the works that would involve WR Ashley Lelie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes