PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3 Thanksgiving Games - Which dominant favorite most likely to get beat?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which Thanksgiving Day favorite is most likely to be upset

• Pats are most likely to be upset

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Jets are most likely to be upset

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • Saints are most likely to be upset

Votes: 26 48.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of related...

Patriots Daily - Are Thanksgiving Games Premium Games Or Not?

Found it interesting that ticket prices are going for higher than average in Detroit and Dallas, while dropping below average for the Jets game on Thanksgiving. They guess it might be due to the traditional nature of the games in Detroit and Dallas, and also the fact New York is fricken cold.

Another post tailor-made to be a poll, but without a poll....

just sayin...:snob:

Kind of related...

Found it interesting that ticket prices are going for higher than average in Detroit and Dallas, while dropping below average for the Jets game on Thanksgiving. They guess it might be due to the traditional nature of the games in Detroit and Dallas, and also the fact New York is fricken cold.
It may be due to the quality of the visiting opponent with regard to Detroit and Dallas. Meanwhile, the Bengals are back to being the Bungles.

An amusing (at least to me) portrayal of the Jets' opponent:

Link - ESPN - Matthew Berry
So you ever see this on Thanksgiving: You go to a local bar with your high school buddies whom you haven't seen in a while. You're catching up and you notice there's a girl who went to your school but you didn't really know and she's alone and has clearly had way too much to drink. She's way past "flirty drunk," "this-could-get-interesting drunk" and "up-on-the-table-dancing drunk." She's slurring her words, can't balance and all you want to do is look away. She's a drunk, hot mess and you know she's gonna hate herself in the morning and wish all the memories would go away. My friends, the Cincinnati Bengals are that drunk, hot mess. When you give up that big a lead, at home, to Buffalo? You're done, kids. This is a bad football team going nowhere that now has to travel to New York on a short week.

Everything points to a HUGE Jet blowout of the Bengals.

I've been an NFL fan for fifty years and believe me, when it looks THIS bad it almost always goes the other way. I'm not coming out and SAYING it...but I smell a big rotten stinking mackeral here.

Last edited:
Kind of related...

As I recall sales of Jets tickets and PSLs were lower than expected before the season began. See the highlights of last week's game? I saw a few Jet fans celebrating the win with a whole lot of empty seats.

I guess it's a combination of a lot of things: cold weather, high ticket prices, more comfortable and less expensive watching at home on the new HD TV, not having to come up with an excuse to miss the traditional family get-together, more sellers than buyers, playing a two-win team, etc. Plus, let's face it; a good percentage of their fans are looking past Thursday's game to the next game on the schedule.

No way the Jets lose to Cincy at home unless Sanchez goes down in the first quarter with a serious injury.

Saints could go down in Big D but I'm having a hard time imagining Dallas upsetting them, then again I could see the Dallas WR's giving NO fits. To me that's probably the best chance for a decent game to watch on Thursday.

That leaves NE and well, that won't be transpiring although I expect it to be a generally sloppy, uninspiring win (much like the 2002 game in Detroit was) which won't do much to calm the nerves around here.

Last edited:
No way the Jets lose to Cincy at home unless Sanchez goes down in the first quarter with a serious injury.

Saints could go down in Big D but I'm having a hard time imagining Dallas upsetting them, then again I could see the Dallas WR's giving NO fits. To me that's probably the best chance for a decent game to watch on Thursday.

That leaves NE and well, that won't be transpiring although I expect it to be a generally sloppy, uninspiring win (much like the 2002 game in Detroit was) which won't do much to calm the nerves around here.

The 2006 game was also a sloppy one as well.

For the Bengals, this is their revenge game for last year and their Super Bowl game of this year. They will scare the Jets and perhaps, just perhaps, beat them.

I pray to God that the Bengals give everything they have on Thursday. You just never know with Carson Palmer. He can be hot 1 minute & horrific the next. I hope the Jets/Bengals game is a knock down drag out fight.

I pray to God that the Bengals give everything they have on Thursday. You just never know with Carson Palmer. He can be hot 1 minute & horrific the next. I hope the Jets/Bengals game is a knock down drag out fight.

Don't let someone else do your job: Pats must beat the Jets.

The end.

Saints
Pats
Jets

For all the reasons stated by those who predict the same.

I wish the OP had made this a poll; I'd have been interested in seeing the vote.

CIN @ NYJ. The Bengals are coming off a humiliating loss and Rex Ryan read the riot act to the Jets for four straight close escapes against teams with a combined record of 12--"some big number." I don't see the Jets losing this one at home, even if the Bengals are fired up at the beginning.

NO @ DAL and NE @ DET. I'm not predicting it and certainly not wishing it, but I would not be completely surprised if either the Saints or the Patriots got upset.

The Saints had a relatively easy time of it at home against the Seahawks while the Pats played 60 minutes all out against the visiting Colts. The Cowboys are on their "Pride and Redemption" Tour but the Lions are playing their Super Bowl at home on national TV to show that they are turning things around under Jim Schwartz.

So either the Pats or the Saints could get knocked off if they give up turnovers and get a bad break or two on officials' calls or whatever. Both the Saints and the Pats have played unevenly all year, but each seems to have ironed out some earlier problems.

The bottom line is that I don't see it happening; I'd have to flip a coin between the Pats and the Saints to say which is more "likely" to get upset.

Last edited:
So either the Pats or the Saints could get knocked off if they give up turnovers and get a bad break or two on officials' calls or whatever. Both the Saints and the Pats have played unevenly all year, but each seems to have ironed out some earlier problems.

The bottom line is that I don't see it happening; I'd have to flip a coin between the Pats and the Saints to say which is more "likely" to get upset.
I certainly hope the Patriots do not come out flat like the team did against the Cleveland Browns.

Poll: which Thanksgiving day favorite gets upset

We have a poll up now, so go ahead and vote.

I was going to have six choices, in order from first to last but instead I thought it may be better to keep it simple and just have three choices - the favorite you feel has the greatest chance of being upset.

Last edited:
I hate to say it, but it's got to be the Pats.

Classic letdown / sandwich / trap game.

Pats post two big wins versus huge rivals, into an over-confident, favorite situation, with a huge game versus a hated rival next week.

And, if that isn't bad enough...

Their opponent the Lions are a team who will quite likely make this their Superbowl for the year. They are sure to be fired up coming off 3 losses, in the middle of a disappointing season, on national TV, on Turkey day as a large underdog, at home and getting little respect.

I don't like it. Not one bit. Hopefully the loss at Cleveland was a wakeup call. Alas, human nature is second nature.

Re: Poll: which Thanksgiving day favorite gets upset

We have a poll up now, so go ahead and vote.

I was going to have six choices, in order from first to last but instead I thought it may be better to keep it simple and just have three choices - the favorite you feel has the greatest chance of being upset.

Wow! Talk about being responsive! Thanks and happy Thanksgiving!

I have a feeling The Jets get into a jam near the end of the game and don't pull it out. The Bengals are flat-out bad (setting the stage for Ocho to New England), but I think the pressure on the Jets, at home, looking ahead to the BIG one, gives the Bengals a minor edge.

I hope we win in Detroit, but I'm not in favour of a massive blow-out, unless it comes on the ground. The reason is that I don't want the Pats getting too "up" before the big Monday Nighter.

Saints will win. They're like the Patriots. May drop wtf games now and then, but they're a great team with a solid coach and find ways to win.

I voted Saints, but I sure hope it's the Jets (and not us, of course!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes