PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3 TE Sets????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keegs

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Ok I am sure some of you would have some insight into this or be able to answer any questions.

Have the pats run any 3 TE Sets last year??
If so, how often??
how successful were they??

(I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT ON THE GOAL LINE)

If this team stays healthy do you think there is a possibility of them running 3 TE sets with Graham, Watson, and the Wendy's guy often?

I would love to watch this and i think if they got it down it would be a real pain in the ass to deal with.

Now, I don't recall them using any 3 TE sets on any place except the goal line. I'm not sure if Box does either.

It's certainly possible, though. Branch can be split out wide, Watson can be split on the wing/slot, and then Graham/Thomas can be down off both tackles. With Dillon/Maroney/Faulk in the backfield, some matchups could be created.

EDIT: Looks like I was wrong. Backed up on their own 4 after a Denver punt, the Pats came out on first down with Fauria, Graham, and Watson all out there. The pass would be intended for Branch on a hook but was batted down.

They would use that same set again later, backed up on their own 3. Dillon was stuffed by quick-penetrating Bronco LBs.

On 3rd and short, also in the Denver game, they would bring out all 3 again, this time with Evans and Dillon in the backfield. Dillon would spring it for 11 yards.

Last edited:
I am an unashamed bleeding-heart dyed-in-the-wool fanatical backer of the 3TE... with the right personnel (and we clearly have the talent at TE). Guys who can effectively block on runs and catch passes, on the field consistently, create opportunities for misdirections and trick plays: screens, play-actions, draws/delays (what's the damn difference there anyway???)

With our apparent depth at RB and TE, I hope to see more of the 3TE this season. Does anyone else in the league make effective use of this set? who even has two dependable tight ends? Bueller...?

Certainly would be interesting...in many situations...I think BB will do that!!

yeah i would love to see it. Probably one of the more entertaining sets to watch.

If we were "on", barring injuries, i don't see how any defense could stop a 3TE set. The running game with Dillon and Mahoney would be ridiculous.

Last edited:
I have a feeling we will se hybrid 3 TE sets with either Mills as the H-back or with Watson wide. While having 3 TE type guys on the field, only 2 will be on the line next to the tackles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back