PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

#3 seed in site but who wants it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsRI

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
With Buffalo beating Cincy today the #3 is very possible. The Bengals go to KC next week and could very well lose and if the Pats win out they get the #3. Both would be 11-5 but the conference records would be 8-4 and 7-5. Jax remains #5 with it's win over Hou. Would you rather play Jax or Pit? My vote goes to Jax. so I'd rather have the #4 seed.

I want the #4 for two reasons. first I want to play jax in the first game and not Pitt (who is coming on strong like the Pats). secondly it is more foreseeable if the pats are the #4 and win the first game they will play the colts in the next game, which I would rather do than in the AFC Championship game where the colts would have a playoff game to knock the rust off.

I'd go for the #3.

Either would be fine, but I think we matchup pretty well with the Steelers. Their passing game isn't anything spectacular, and we've been great with stopping the run lately.

when you are in the play-offs be seed 3 or 4 it is the same.

and we will be ready...

Stillers or Jaguars...

they will have to face the Champs and WE are the Champs !

PATs may beat Miami but I kinda doubt it as they will sit the starters
after first half and If BB feels PATs match up better against the Jags
than the Steelers then why would be beat Miami?

it would maybe be nicer to have the four cuz we would play jax instead of pitt, but leftwich will be comin back
the other good thing about four as someone mentioned was if we win the first game (knock on wood) that we would play indy after being rested for a month and could catch em while theyre cold

however, getting the three seed means more home possibilities: if we win (kow) and 4/5 knocked off indy, we would be home for afc champ

either way it kinda makes it cool that we can find a reason to win out, with the possibility of moving up in seeds

just realized, if cincy plays jax, those were my two sleeper afc teams before the season began, kinda funny

The way this team is playing now......NOBODY scares and there is not one team that we cannot beat.

I'd rather the Steelers helped beat some folks up, I have greater faith in their ability to make Cincy/Denver work their tails off than I do for Jax. I also like the idea of playing a young, warm weather team in Foxboro on a friendly New England January day, it just gives the team more time to develop it's playoff persona. But, in the end, we play the schedule and Pittsburgh, Jax, or the long shot of KC will be fine.

The Jaguars are a good football team but also the product of a soft schedule. Not that it's their fault, you can't control who you face during the season, you can only play them and try to win. But I regard the Steelers as a better team, even though I'd have confidence facing either.

But how I look at it, the Steelers would have a better chance at upsetting the Colts in the second round than the Jaguars would. If the Patriots get the 3 seed, they would only get to host the AFC title game against the Jaguars, which would seem unlikely. I see it more feasable that they host the Steelers.

In any case, I don't really care. The Patriots are going to have to face some tough teams to win it all. If the Jaguars or Steelers come first, doesn't matter.

BoTown said:
The Jaguars are a good football team but also the product of a soft schedule. Not that it's their fault, you can't control who you face during the season, you can only play them and try to win. But I regard the Steelers as a better team, even though I'd have confidence facing either.

But how I look at it, the Steelers would have a better chance at upsetting the Colts in the second round than the Jaguars would. If the Patriots get the 3 seed, they would only get to host the AFC title game against the Jaguars, which would seem unlikely. I see it more feasable that they host the Steelers.

In any case, I don't really care. The Patriots are going to have to face some tough teams to win it all. If the Jaguars or Steelers come first, doesn't matter.

i disagree with u on many fronts

jax could def beat indy, they always play them tough, remember they play em twice a yr, and almost beat them last time with garrard at qb, leftwich will be back for playoffs and makes them a better team

also, if we get the three seed, wed be home against the bengals too

the bengals only lost to indy by 8 earlier in the yr, and it couldve been closer, had they kicked a fg at the beg of fourth quarter instead of going for it and not getting a fourth down conv, then instead of kicking the fg at the end to go along with their failed attempt at an onside, they couldve just gone for it, being down by 8

Who cares? If you can only win if you play the weaker opponents you aren't that good, are you? If you want to be champ you should be good enough to beat the best. Beat Indy in Indy. No matter what seed.

Last edited:
patsfan55 said:
...the bengals only lost to indy by 8 earlier in the yr, and it couldve been closer, had they kicked a fg at the beg of fourth quarter instead of going for it and not getting a fourth down conv, then instead of kicking the fg at the end to go along with their failed attempt at an onside, they couldve just gone for it, being down by 8

Gee, if I had the right numbers on a given week, I could win Powerball!

Be smart Patriot fans, we WANT the #3 seed.

A. You should want to play Pittsburgh in our house. Nothing like giving Pittsburgh an early exit out of the playoffs, they talk alot of ****, yet how many times have we bounced them in the playoffs? Quite a few times in the last 10 years.

B. We dont want to face Indy until the last playoff game. Our troops still need to gel and get experience. Especially our secondary. And besides there is a good chance with the 3rd seed that would could end up playing more than one playoff game at home too..............

I agree with Nem, how could you possibly want the 4th seed instead of the 3rd seed? If we can't beat a team in the playoffs regardless of the fact of where the game is played or who they are then we don't deserve to be the champs!!!

3rd seed all day. While I wouldn't mind having Pitt smashing the softies around also, I would rather not only be able to avoid Indy until the AFC Championship, I would want the chance that if things went the right way, we could get a second playoff home game in the AFC Championship.

Pitt, Jax, KC, right now whoever we play, I think we take them out and move onto the second round.

There are FOUR certainties in life:

1. Death

2. Taxes

3. BB won't rest >2 or 3 starters until there's a comfortable lead over the Dolphins on New Years.

4. The Patriots will never, as long as they are in this status, intentionally vie for a lower seed or something to that effect, even if it's in their best interest (which in case it isn't) by way of strategy. This is a totally different scenario than what , say, we saw in Denver in 2003. That was to win the game, though, if you think about it. That's all the Pats will do.

pats1 said:
There are FOUR certainties in life:

1. Death

2. Taxes

3. BB won't rest >2 or 3 starters until there's a comfortable lead over the Dolphins on New Years.

4. The Patriots will never, as long as they are in this status, intentionally vie for a lower seed or something to that effect, even if it's in their best interest (which in case it isn't) by way of strategy. This is a totally different scenario than what , say, we saw in Denver in 2003. That was to win the game, though, if you think about it. That's all the Pats will do.

In BB we trust! I feel the same way he does (I think) If we can't beat the 6th seed then how can we beat the 1st seed?

I agree we should be able to beat them all if we want to be the champs again, but there is also luck involved and there is nothing wrong with hoping for good luck.

Indy as #1 gets to face the lowest surviving seed. If the Steelers beat Cincy (and today the Bills did), then they will go to Indy. That would mean we would go to Denver if we beat the Jags.

There are 2 locations that we have trouble playing, even when we are doing well: Miami (moreso when its very warm) and Denver. We can win in both places, and have, but I would rather we not have to go to Denver. Or if we do, I would rather have more time (helping the D gel) and playoff experience (for our young secondary) under our belt.

Last edited:
Here are the possibilities:

(a) Fourth Seed:

Jax at NE ---> NE will win
Pit at Cincy ---> I like Pit to win

NE at Denver ---> Another NE win
Pit at Indy ---> Guts tells me Pit

Pit at NE ---> NE wins and goes to Detroit

(b) 3rd Seed:

Jax at Cincy ---> Cincy wins
Pit at NE ---> this it gonna be tough

NE at Indy ---> another tough one
Cincy at Denver --> Denver

NE at Denver ---> tough

Conclusion: The 4TH seed is the path of least resistance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye