2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Grade the 2006 draft

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the reason why I gave this draft a D - -. Gost is why they didn't get an F.

Not only could they have had Jennings instead of Chad Buston but they could've picked up another O-lineman in the 3rd.

Jennings and Jason Spitz were for Mr Buston. Both are starting on GB

It won't go down as their best effort, that's for sure.

The haul at this point is a platoon RB, a reserve pass catching TE, reseve/fill in starter tackle, deep reserve DL, and a good quality kicker.

It is not horrible but unlike most of the drafts we have seen from this front office, there is no guy you can point to as a stud.

come on
Maroney ,thomas and ghost are starters.Mills is a starters for vikings.
ryan has been good RT and could been a started if not for his PUP status.
Smith was a backup .
330 players get drafted a year and less than 50 stay in NFL and you thnkl the scouts did a bad job.?

Less than 50 stay in the NFL for what, 10 years?

50 players, 32 teams, 1600 guys. If average career is 5 years, then 300 new guys a year come into the league.

Not all are drafted, but still, most draft picks need to hang around a few years.

The draft was an abomination.

come on
Smith was a backup .
330 players get drafted a year and less than 50 stay in NFL and you thnkl the scouts did a bad job.?

Why can't some of you people just admit that the pats can make mistakes. Are you really going to try and tell us 06 was a good draft? It's ok to say that pats screw up here and there :rolleyes:

Round 1: Laurence Maroney (RB) Decent back, injury issues and shows signs of tenative running (dancing).
Round 2: Chad Jackson (WR) Total bust / waste of a high pick
Round 3: David Thomas (TE) Good player, but can't stay on the field. Has done little to nothing for us.
Round 4: Garrett Mills (TE) JAG
Round 4: Stephen Gostkowski (K) Awesome pick
Round 5: Ryan O'Callaghan (OT) JAG
Round 6: Jeremy Mincey (DE) Who?
Round 6: Dan Stevenson (OG) Who?
Round 6: Le Kevin Smith (DT) JAG
Round 7: Willie Andrews (S) JAG

Grade:C -

Last edited:
come on
Smith was a backup .
You realize he's a Jets fan, right?

Chad Jackson was also picked before Brandon Marshall, heh.

I'll also take LenDale White/Addai over Maroney any day. Addai has 26 TDs since being drafted.
This is stupid. You can look at any draft and see how the best picks were after the fact.

Every team has guys that don't make it, and late round picks who blossom.

There isn't another GM/HC combo in the NFL that I would rather have doing the picking.

Anyone had a better record than the Pats since the 2006 draft?

In any draft for almost every team, it's easy to use 20-20 hindsight and say "they screwed up, they passed on this player." Not the greatest draft in Pats history for sure thanks to Jackson, but no team hits on every draft pick.

2006 NFL Draft Listing - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Anyone had a better record than the Pats since the 2006 draft?

SC - you are usually on the money but this comment has no relevance to this thread because the Patriots have been winning games since 06 with no help of any of these guys. I mean, look at the starts from an earlier post if you need any convincing of this.

let me volley this back in your court - if the Patriots make ZERO picks in the 06 draft, can you argue that they have more than maybe, MAYBE, 1 or 2 less wins than they would with what has happened?

Since the answer to this is No, the draft gets a D- and the only reason its not an F is because Maroney had a nice kick-pass TD to Mankins in that AFCCG.

Last edited:
Round 1: Laurence Maroney (RB)
Round 2: Chad Jackson (WR)
Round 3: David Thomas (TE)
Round 4: Garrett Mills (TE)
Round 4: Stephen Gostkowski (K)
Round 5: Ryan O'Callaghan (OT)
Round 6: Jeremy Mincey (DE)
Round 6: Dan Stevenson (OG)
Round 6: Le Kevin Smith (DT)
Round 7: Willie Andrews (S)

3 Starters for the Patriots
2 Backups for the Patriots
1 Backup for the Vikings
1 player who was a special teamer until criminality cost him
1 player who may very well end up on another team's roster

So, out of 10 draft picks, 7 of which were in the 4th round or later, 6 are still in the NFL, 1 will likely end up on an NFL roster this year or next, and 1 would be on an NFL roster if he hadn't pissed away his career by getting arrested. Of the 6 picks in rounds 1-5, only Jackson is currently not on an NFL roster.

The Patriots are royalty and it should be their birth-right to make the first 32 picks every spring. :D

Mincey and Stevenson are both on rosters in the league.....

I think it was a pretty good draft. Maroney could be a terrific RB if the blocking was better and he was given more carries (he averaged 4.5 ypc last year) - and that's the difference between him and Addai - he's given far more carries. And is used in the passing game. He's still only 23 too. Jackson, fair enough. Thomas could be a star at TE, really. Like Maroney needs to be on the field more though. Mills is/was a pretty good player. Gost is already one of the best kickers in the league. O'Call is another that could be a great player but for injury concerns. Mincey, Stevenson, fair enough, although as I've said both have found their way back into the league. Le Kevin is a back up to maybe the best D-line in football. Willie Andrews looked a good player, before he lost the p(l)ot.

Some good players there, although there are injury concerns over some.

Let's try to remember some of the reasons we didn't pick these now-great players:

Brandon Marshall: out of UCF, asmall school not playing against good competition, which also did not pass much. Player was the kind of big, physical wide receiver that has no place in the Pats system, but in Denver is considered the second coming of Rod Smith.

Greg Jennings: out of Western Michigan, which if possible plays against less NFL-caliber players or defenses than UCF.

Marcus McNeill: Had a bad back. Played poorly at times last year, after a great rookie year, due to back problems. Could very well have been another Adrian Klemm.

1st round pick -- kind of meh
2nd round pick -- utter bust
3rd round pick -- kind of meh
4th round picks -- one stellar (but a star kicker), one didn't work out
5th-7th round picks -- not bad for late rounds

I gave it a C

come on
Smith was a backup .

Mills is NOT a starter for the Vikings.

O'Callaghan was never on PUP.

Last edited:
This is the reason why I gave this draft a D - -. Gost is why they didn't get an F.

Not only could they have had Jennings instead of Chad Buston but they could've picked up another O-lineman in the 3rd.

OK I am not going to claim to be a draft guru, but 3 starters on a Superbowl quality team (w/ Brady), a quality back up OL, plus ST contributors in the late rounds is pretty good.

The miss on Jackson is hurt the over all draft is a B- definatly not an F or D-.

Just for the record, a grade might be better answered at the end of the third season (as opposed to the beginning of the season). That it is asked now is just another reason to suspect look-on-the-bright-side Wendel is as much a Patriots fan as Bill Polian.

funny-pictures-the-work-of-the-cat-is-done-in-your-bathroom.jpg

Greg Jennings another TD.....
Good Grief.....

Different folks evaluate differently. I evaluate a player in his third preseason, after three pre-seasons and two full seasons. For example, I wouldn't expect to keep a player for a third year as a developmental player. Jackson is certainly a good example. I might have kept him for another season because of his injuries, but the 3rd pre-season is, for me, the key time to evaluate.

Just for the record, a grade might be better answered at the end of the third season (as opposed to the beginning of the season). That it is asked now is just another reason to suspect look-on-the-bright-side Wendel is as much a Patriots fan as Bill Polian.

funny-pictures-the-work-of-the-cat-is-done-in-your-bathroom.jpg

not that great but not too bad we could have had Jones-Drew tho. And we traded pick with GB we got jackson they got jennings Marshall and Hester both went after him too. We could have picked Antoine Bertha instead of Smith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back