3 PS players make more than the minimum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miguel

Patriots Salary Cap Guru
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
The minimum salary for a practice squad player is $88,400. Mike Richardson, Antwain Spann, and Titus Adams are all making $150,000.

Good incentive to keep them on our PS rather than go to someone else's. What is the minimum for a rookie on a roster? Is $150,000 more than that number? Could also be a way for making a move to the last spot on someone else's roster less appealing.

Good incentive to keep them on our PS rather than go to someone else's. What is the minimum for a rookie on a roster? Is $150,000 more than that number? Could also be a way for making a move to the last spot on someone else's roster less appealing.

The minimum for a rookie is $295,000.

Nice gesture by the Pats management effectively nearly doubling the PS salary to $150K. Gotta admit that when you 'only' make $150K, doubling that salary to $295K is an understandable decision. Ununderstandable to me is leaving a good team for a measley couple hundred K or million $ when you already have made millions. The marginal utility of incremental money is far less; pride is the driving personal value.

Last edited:
The minimum salary for a practice squad player is $88,400. Mike Richardson, Antwain Spann, and Titus Adams are all making $150,000.
Miguel...Is that unusual OR are there usually a few that are more than minimum?? Great info.

Miguel...Is that unusual OR are there usually a few that are more than minimum?? Great info.

The past couple of years there have been a couple of PS players on the Patriots that have made more than minimum. Other teams have done the same thing. I have asked around. It would be interesting to find out if 3 is above average.

Is there any way to see if there is a tendency to pay over the rookie minimum for cities with a higher cost of living?

Nice gesture by the Pats management effectively nearly doubling the PS salary to $150K. Gotta admit that when you 'only' make $150K, doubling that salary to $295K is an understandable decision. Ununderstandable to me is leaving a good team for a measley couple hundred K or million $ when you already have made millions. The marginal utility of incremental money is far less; pride is the driving personal value.

Totally agree.

But $150k is not huge money for an athlete who is living in temporary accommodation in an expensive city -- and (even in practice) is risking severe injury every time he goes on the field.

Totally agree.

But $150k is not huge money for an athlete who is living in temporary accommodation in an expensive city -- and (even in practice) is risking severe injury every time he goes on the field.

Well said.

This argues for paying all our Practice Squad players more. no, these three have been singled out, as we did in the past with Yates. Actually, I am surprised that Richardson isn't being paid $295K.

And, BTW, is the Providence area really such a high priced area? Looking at Boston is misleading. The stadium is far from Boston.

Totally agree.

Last edited:

Actually they don't automatically get the $295K. If another team picks them up, they have to keep them on the roster for a minimum of 3 weeks IIRC. 3/17 of $295K is $52K. By paying them the $150 K ( (62K more than the minimum) there is no incentive for them to go to another club that may dump them after three weeks when they can stay here and earn more money.....

Our $150K is not guaranteed any more than the $259K from another time. The $259K per season is guaranteed for 3 weeks, ours not at all. Should a player really give up a chance to make a team's roster and potentially earn the first year of their pension and other player's rights? Is our team so great that it is better to be on our Practic Squad than on someone else's 53 man squad? Nonesense!

The bottom line is that it is better to be paid $150K/7 a game rather than $80K/7. It is also better to be paid $259K/7 and have a chance to be on a 53 man roster.

Let's put it another way. How many players do you think have refused other team's offeres to be on their 53 after being cut by the patriots because they would rather wait and be on our Practice Squad?

Actually they don't automatically get the $295K. If another team picks them up, they have to keep them on the roster for a minimum of 3 weeks IIRC. 3/17 of $295K is $52K. By paying them the $150 K ( (62K more than the minimum) there is no incentive for them to go to another club that may dump them after three weeks when they can stay here and earn more money.....

The past couple of years there have been a couple of PS players on the Patriots that have made more than minimum. Other teams have done the same thing. I have asked around. It would be interesting to find out if 3 is above average.

Thanks for the good info, i believe the Patriots take the practice squad players very seriously, much more than most teams, i remember reading that the practice squad player of the week gets to wear the black jersey.

Our $150K is not guaranteed any more than the $259K from another time. The $259K per season is guaranteed for 3 weeks, ours not at all. Should a player really give up a chance to make a team's roster and potentially earn the first year of their pension and other player's rights? Is our team so great that it is better to be on our Practic Squad than on someone else's 53 man squad? Nonesense!

The bottom line is that it is better to be paid $150K/7 a game rather than $80K/7. It is also better to be paid $259K/7 and have a chance to be on a 53 man roster.

Let's put it another way. How many players do you think have refused other team's offeres to be on their 53 after being cut by the patriots because they would rather wait and be on our Practice Squad?

Good point. I'm sure these players have assurances and a feeling that the Patriots have plans for them. The extra money is more good faith and nice to spend, of course.

I'm sure most players realize a relationship gives them a better chance than roaming from camp to camp and don't want that "often cut" designation attached to them.

This argues for paying all our Practice Squad players more. no, these three have been singled out, as we did in the past with Yates. Actually, I am surprised that Richardson isn't being paid $295K.

And, BTW, is the Providence area really such a high priced area? Looking at Boston is misleading. The stadium is far from Boston.

I think cost of living is all relative. It would be nice if a Patriot/Raider/Dolphin/Jet practice squad player made for than a Green Bay, Buffalo, or Vikings counterpart. Regardless, 88K is more than the average price for most professions and while it is low for a professional athlete...it is what it is.

Oh great Miguel, now you have me kicking myself! I did some DVR housekeeping last night and deleted the preseason games because I couldn't remember if there was a reason I had held onto them - seeing Titus Adams name on your list reminds me I wanted to watch his later preseason play to see if he looked any better to me, compared to the Baltimore game. :enranged:

I think cost of living is all relative. It would be nice if a Patriot/Raider/Dolphin/Jet practice squad player made for than a Green Bay, Buffalo, or Vikings counterpart. Regardless, 88K is more than the average price for most professions and while it is low for a professional athlete...it is what it is.

Cost of living is a small issue compared to state taxes. In Texas and Fla, these guys are paying nothing after fed. But here in San Francisco and California, we pay 9.3% over 43k and 10.3% over 1M (highest in the country). Now compare 10M Baron Davis makes versus 10M Dwayne Wade makes. When Arod left the Rangers for the Yankees, he lost mucho discretionary income. In the NBA, with Canadian teams, it is a huge point of contention and I am sure the union over there have accounted for those fees the Canucks charge for....

Plus cost of living accounts for housing and food and gas and other items like that. But a rolex in NYC cost the same as a rolex in Wisconsin and same with Escalades and first class plane tickets and other luxury items that guys spend millions on.

Since a lot of athletes choose their permanent home and it is commonly not where they play, they have the flexibility to live where they feel comfortable paying for.

Last edited:
Oh great Miguel, now you have me kicking myself! I did some DVR housekeeping last night and deleted the preseason games because I couldn't remember if there was a reason I had held onto them - seeing Titus Adams name on your list reminds me I wanted to watch his later preseason play to see if he looked any better to me, compared to the Baltimore game. :enranged:

I thought he looked pretty good in the preseason. Was in on lots of ST units, too.

Mmm... sounds about $150K too much for Richardson.

Sorry, I couldn't help it. I'm going now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots