PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3 Pre-season game musings

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Well, this is the final game before the 1st cut-downs. The Patriots stand at like 84-85 players. That means they need to cut 9-10 players (possibly 11-12 if Pass and Branch join the team).

Now, in recent years, Belichick has used the 3rd pre-season game to get the starters into form, usually having them go 2-3 qtrs. My guess is that we will see the 9-12 guys who are on the bubble of being cut in the 1st cut downs the most other than the starters. This is to give BB a good evaluation of them.

Who do you think will be the 9-12 players to get the extra reps?

Here are my picks:
Patrick Cobbs, LeKevin Smith, Jonathan Sullivan, Dan Klecko, Eric Alexander, Keron Henry, Antoine Spann, Corey Mays, Pierre Woods, Santonio Thomas, Erik Davis, Vernell Brown, Brian Barthelmes, and Freddie Roach.

(OK, so I listed 14)

I think that Klecko could get cut to allow him to hook on with another team. I didn't mention Matt Shelton, Ray Ventrone, and Earl Charles because I don't know their status. I thought that Shelton was already IRed. And I think that Ventrone and Charles are on a special NFLE Injured list that doesn't have them count against the active roster.

Ventrone, Hill, and Charles are all candidates for the IR and that could make BB's job easier in terms of the cut-downs.

Evaluations for all 9-odd players whom will need to be cut are most likely done. They may not even play in favor of players who remain in competition for remaining roles and younger players in need of further seasoning before the Beefalo game.

BB has said he will play the 4th game differently this season, courtesy of the longer time alloted between that game and the opener with Beefalo.

I can also see the next two games being a more intense look at Special Teams as BB and Seely work to create the best mix of talent/skill/experience in the individual units. I was certainly surprised to see Wesly Britt used as a blocker on the Kick Return team - that says a lot about his open field abilities whether he starts or not.

DaBruinz said:
Patrick Cobbs, LeKevin Smith, Jonathan Sullivan, Dan Klecko, Eric Alexander, Keron Henry, Antoine Spann, Corey Mays, Pierre Woods, Santonio Thomas, Erik Davis, Vernell Brown, Brian Barthelmes, and Freddie Roach.
For grins, here are my thoughts:

Patrick Cobbs - very impressive as a change of pace back in the Kevin Faulk mode. I'm very impressed with his blitz pick-up, lots of room for improvement, but he has already demonstrated both good eye sight and surprising blocking skills for a rookie feature back. I also wouldn't be surprised to see him cross-train as a wide receiver. I would hold him for the final cut down and try to land him on the Practice Squad.

Lekevin Smith - a very promising performance and one of two defensive linemen who are eligible for the Practice Squad. Freeman would be my choice to cut down in the 1st cut, again keeping Smitty for the final cut to minimize the time he is available for waiver claims or free agent tryouts.

Jonathan Sullivan - there is a lot of talent here, what needs to be known is how well he has taken to coaching and whether Pepper, Dean, and BB see the mental toughness necessary for him to succeed here. If you want to give him a chance to land elsewhere, you cut him now, if your still testing his limits, he sticks.

Dan Klecko - I currently have Klecko ahead on versatility points for the seventh defensive lineman slot.

Eric Alexander - if the next two games are truly a Special Teams warm-up, he may get a chance to stick. Perhaps he will play some gunner this week...I can see BB wanting to find a place for this kid after hoarding him for two years on the Practice Squad, he obviously brings something BB likes. He has forced two fumbles in two preseason games, one led to a touchdown. He is showcasing 'playmaker' skills that have to give you pause when compiling your cut down list.

Keron Henry - I love his upfield blocking, I haven't been able to see anything in his receiving game to make him stand out.

Antwain Spann - I see this kid as another Randall Gay, rangy, quick, and fast. He can cut down now, but he gets a long look for the Practice Squad if he's still available.

Corey Mays - he deserved to be here, he is just too raw for the reserve ILB pool. I'll give him a long look at Practice Squad, perhaps one of the rotating guys who comes and goes as specific "Dirty Bird" looks are required.

Pierre Woods - I have him well ahead of Mincey after Atlanta.

Santonio Thomas - my sixth defensive lineman.

Erik Davis - like Spann, the spark seems to be there, he comes back on the Practice Squad if Denver doesn't grab him for their Squad.

Vernell Brown - NFLE.

Brian Barthelmes - Mruczkowski is ahead of him only by virtue of being a Dante Scholar, bring him back in January for the off-season program.

Freddie Roach - I want to work with this kid more on Special Teams, try and keep him a little longer.

From your list I have: Henry, V.Brown, Mays, Davis, Barthelmes. Room for four more...Freeman, Luzar, Yates, and either Jones or Warfield (depending on your projected DB mix, I'd say Jones at this point in time).

Eddie Freeman - he came in for a long look and played well, he would be a good candidate to bring back for the off-season program.

Chris Luzar - I'd like to know how he has been used in practice, TE or OT? If he is as good a blocking TE as has been indicated, I can see encouraging him to gain weight and come back for the off-season program. He is extraneous to our needs, if not an OT prospect then part of the Shadow Roster.

Billy Yates - we know what we have with him. Cutting him this early gives him a chance to land with Mangini or Romeo, both of whom need more depth at OG.

Jones - he's moved down the depth chart behind Sanders at SS. I'd place him as S number 5 behind Harrison, Wilson, Sanders, and Hawkins. With C.Scott, Gay, and Warfield still on my roster, plus Andrews, I'm comfortable with the Safety mix.

Warfield - he has played more like a safety coming from across the field twice in Atlanta to save touchdowns. Yeh, he fumbled the interception against Arizona because he 'tried too hard,' that is hardly a BB sin. Recall BB's remarks about Mankins reported aggressiveness coming out of Fresno State if you have any doubts. Like C.Scott, he brings something to the table after eight seasons as a starter, keeps Samuel, Hobbs, and Gay on their metal.

Lots of food for thought there, B_O_R.

Since you're in expansive mood, would you mind giving us your thoughts on Special Teams. As you say, that may play a big role in determining who sticks. Where do you see these players contributing? And who else will owe his roster slot to Special Teams play?

Thanks, Mike

Case for Kleco

Klecko? Cut? ..... not so sure about that. The way BB talked in a recent
PC it sounded as he was very positive about Dan.

Bill seems to indicate Dan's role would be narrowed to DT. Probably in 4-3
which they seem to be using a lot.

My guess is they keep 7 so ....

The Dline guys are

Locks: Seymour, Warren, Wilfork and Green.

Wilforks backup will probably be Sullivan or LeKevin Smith
If it's Sullivan then Smith goes to PS otherwise Sullivan is cut.
Freeman probably goes to PS or cut.

That leaves: Klecko, Hill, Thomas, Wright for 2 positions.

Hill has had time to prove him self but he's been injured probably too much
and when healthy hasn't really showed much.

I think Thomas and Wright are still PS eligible ...

So my guess for those two slots is ..........
1 DT and 1 DE will be kept
For DT Its ( drum roll ) Klecko :woohoo: ... Klecko makes it.

with Thomas, Wright, or Hill getting the backup DE slot.
and maybe 1 of these ending up on PS

Why Klecko? He can do the DT job probably as well as his competition
and if you needed an LB or FB in pinch he's done it in this system and
he plays ST also pretty well. He is a high energy guy .... Bill likes him :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Case for Kleco

JR4 said:
Klecko? Cut? ..... not so sure about that. The way BB talked in a recent PC it sounded as he was very positive about Dan.
Same thing for Gramatica yesterday.

I can't even guess on this, getting LeKevin to the practice squad would be nice although I could see someone picking him up if we try.

Mike the Brit said:
Lots of food for thought there, B_O_R.

Since you're in expansive mood, would you mind giving us your thoughts on Special Teams. As you say, that may play a big role in determining who sticks. Where do you see these players contributing? And who else will owe his roster slot to Special Teams play?

Thanks, Mike
Arrgghh! That is the hardest group for me to see on this little screen. Izzo, Davis, Alexander, Jones, Andrews, Pass, Evans, Cobbs, Klecko, Berlin, Poteat, Kight, Musinski. Off the cuff, these guys all have the greatest need for Special Teams assignments to give them a chance to stick. I think Andrews is a lock, none of the others have the same degree of surety in my mind. I think we have other Gunner prospects to replace Tebucky, I don't think Pass, Evans, Musinski, Berlin, Klecko, Poteat, Kight, or Cobbs will stick purely due to Special Teams, they need a situational game role with it - Beisel may fall into that category too, depending on how much the coaches think his injury (or Tedy's) held him back. Izzo, Davis, and Alexander rely on the need for BB to keep development LBs such as Woods and Mincey on the roster, Woods already looks good on coverage units, Mincey should be alright there too.

Re: Case for Kleco

JR4 said:
Klecko? Cut? ..... not so sure about that. The way BB talked in a recent
PC it sounded as he was very positive about Dan.

Bill seems to indicate Dan's role would be narrowed to DT. Probably in 4-3
which they seem to be using a lot.

My guess is they keep 7 so ....

The Dline guys are

Locks: Seymour, Warren, Wilfork and Green.

Wilforks backup will probably be Sullivan or LeKevin Smith
If it's Sullivan then Smith goes to PS otherwise Sullivan is cut.
Freeman probably goes to PS or cut.

That leaves: Klecko, Hill, Thomas, Wright for 2 positions.

Hill has had time to prove him self but he's been injured probably too much
and when healthy hasn't really showed much.

I think Thomas and Wright are still PS eligible ...

So my guess for those two slots is ..........
1 DT and 1 DE will be kept
For DT Its ( drum roll ) Klecko :woohoo: ... Klecko makes it.

with Thomas, Wright, or Hill getting the backup DE slot.
and maybe 1 of these ending up on PS

Why Klecko? He can do the DT job probably as well as his competition
and if you needed an LB or FB in pinch he's done it in this system and
he plays ST also pretty well. He is a high energy guy .... Bill likes him :)
Thomas and L.Smith have Practice Squad eligibility, none of the others do.

Last edited:
DaBruinz said:
Well, this is the final game before the 1st cut-downs. The Patriots stand at like 84-85 players. That means they need to cut 9-10 players (possibly 11-12 if Pass and Branch join the team).

Now, in recent years, Belichick has used the 3rd pre-season game to get the starters into form, usually having them go 2-3 qtrs. My guess is that we will see the 9-12 guys who are on the bubble of being cut in the 1st cut downs the most other than the starters. This is to give BB a good evaluation of them.

Who do you think will be the 9-12 players to get the extra reps?

Here are my picks:

(OK, so I listed 14)

I think that Klecko could get cut to allow him to hook on with another team. I didn't mention Matt Shelton, Ray Ventrone, and Earl Charles because I don't know their status. I thought that Shelton was already IRed. And I think that Ventrone and Charles are on a special NFLE Injured list that doesn't have them count against the active roster.

Ventrone, Hill, and Charles are all candidates for the IR and that could make BB's job easier in terms of the cut-downs.

Not to turn this into another roster cutdown date thread, but...

1) Pass counts against the active roster as it stands. If he's placed on the reserve/PUP list, then he won't.

2) Since there are 85 players on the roster that will count for the cutdown, there has to be 10 cuts. 11 if Branch returns.

3) Matt Shelton is on the I.R.

4) Charles, Smith, and Ventrone are on the NFLE injury list right now, but I believe they have to be placed on the reserve/NFLE injury list, knocking them out for the entire season, to be granted an exemption for this cutdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes