Welcome to PatsFans.com

3 police officers in the Sean Bell case: Not Guilty

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by STFarmy, Apr 25, 2008.

1. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Though I take the risk of starting another race-based flame thread, it is significant news.

-----------------
    3 NYPD detectives cleared in groom's 50-shot death

NEW YORK - Three NYPD detectives have been acquitted of all counts in the 50-shot killing of an unarmed groom-to-be on his wedding day.

Michael Oliver, Gescard Isnora and Marc Cooper were cleared in the 2006 slaying of Sean Bell. Isnora and Oliver faced the most serious charge of manslaughter.

Shouts of "No!" and "Not guilty!" erupted in the crowd outside the courthouse as word of the verdict spread. Some people wept on each other's shoulders.
    -----------------

The rest of the story here:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080425/ap_on_re_us/police_shooting;_ylt=AmAVuEx4hDjCcySnyGBpDl6s0NUE
  2. Mogamedogz

Mogamedogz Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

That's a damn shame.
  3. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +117 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

Now, before we start the race baiting, take a gander at the color of the officers.

They shouldn't have even been charged.
  4. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Wow what a shock,cops getting off after shooting an unarmed man in NYC. I mean who would have tunk it. And after firing 50 shoots only hit him a couple of times. They better work on their marksmanship I saw a video taken in a nearby train station where people were walking around and bullets were flying through the plat glass windows. Then I saw New Yorks finest at work. Instead of trying to do something such as oh tell everybody to hit the floor or take cover THEY RAN. I guess they do they're best work when someones standing outside their front door,and the NYPD can roll up and just unload without warning. Who was that victim DeAloe?
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

50 shots into an un-armed man?

Why is that about race? It's cops acting like animals again. These courts and police departments better do something fast.

Bad boyz my arse. More like bullies that need a beating.
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Figured you'd defend the 50 bullets into an unarmed man. They shouldn't have been charged why? Because they're fu(kin cops and are above everyone else?
  7. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

At some point in the last 30 years the people of this country began to relent to power and its abuse. As a result, it is widespread and rampant and even juries are OK with that, having absorbed the meme so completely. How is it even feasible to think that these officers are not criminally negligent in this case? The man was unarmed.
  8. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Actually, technically he wasn't unarmed. He was in a car, which when used in an aggressive manner, is considered a deadly weapon.

Whether he was using the car in an aggressive manner is the question.
  9. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

To me that sounds like an incredible excuse. Now the car is a weapon. There certainly exists a bleeding edge of creating new justifications for abuse, and new reasons to put people in jail. I guess it would have been OK to shoot Randy Moss 50 times, too.

Or you could get in the car, call for backup and contain the situation. How is it that this is never discussed as a viable option? When did we lose our ability to think? Shoot first, ask questions later is NOT acceptable, and we should be skeptical of anybody who implies that it is.
  10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +496 / 2 / -9

Another case where it could all have been avoided, when the hell will they learn that Cops are human, Cops get scared just like all other human beings do, when you start playing games with Cops who have loaded guns at four o'clock in the morning you are also playing with your life.

Let things like this be a lesson "Dudes" when a Cop says "Stop" all you have to do is, STOP, it might save your life, this guy that got killed wasn't very "street smart" after he rammed the Police Car did he think the Cops were just going to say, "oh we're sorry we tried to stop you, have a nice day"

Common Sense was all that was needed to have prevented this tragedy but arrogance and disrespect for Law And Order turned it into a death and a heartbreaking nightmare for the surviving relatives and friends.

Remember "Dudes" don't play games with Cops at 4 AM, they carry guns and they want to go home alive.

:bricks:
  11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

What do you expect from a culture scared out of its wits from COPS to the evening news of every crime in the country being shown every night all night long. The government troops want us to think that we need them to protect us from the mayhem going on all around us. What do you do when it's the government doing the mayhem and murder?
  12. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

So we can humanize the authorities, but de-humanize the victims of their abuse and say that they are responsible for being shot because they were out late at night? Sounds like a good racket to me. Good thing I'm not buying it. I wish others wouldn't as well.

Why doesn't the responsibility also apply to the police?

The larger question here is why are we, as a people, so willing to blindly accept the abuse of authority?
  13. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +496 / 2 / -9

The "Dude" wasn't shot because he was out late, he was shot because of his own suspicious arrogant actions, what went on before the shooting started, he was told what to do and he refused to do what he was told to do, if he had done what he was told to do in the first place he could have gone home to bed and he would be alive today.

When a Cop says "Stop" all you have to do is "Stop" is that so hard for a person to understand, if you don't want to get beat up or shot just "Stop"

The Junkie Hippies used to say "laws were meant to be broken" fine, but breaking those laws might put you in your grave.

:bricks:
  14. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Wow, this is appalling. If you don't stop when a cop says to stop, the punishment should not be death. That's the very reason for due process. How does one feed this sort of belief system?

And calling people junkie hippies is interesting. What does that have do with anything except casting a lazy-minded smear?
  15. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Police departments are so lazy and scared nowadays. They bust a kid for a joint in the ashtray, all of a sudden there's four cruisers and 7 guys "assisting".

A guy drives away, hits an unmarked van, and he gets the death penalty.
  16. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +408 / 5 / -2

I had a vacant apartment broken into last week. Door was kicked in, so I called the cops. Actually, I went to the police station and reported it. It took them an hour to show up (it's the next street over). The guy shows up, and never got out of the car. I mention this because I had a drunk driver destroy my car in my drive way at 3 AM one night, to which the cops said they were too busy to come to. So the guy drove home! Sheesh. And ciz when my own home was broken into in broad daylight, it took 2 hours for a cop to show up, and that was only cuz I personally called a friend after waiting 1:50 of the 2 hours. Cops making $200-300k a year means two things. #1, it's too expensive for cities to put on more of the, or enough. #2 the ones that are on, are working so many details & OT that they are incredibly ineffective.

As for this case, one cop shot 31 rounds, another 4. Hmm... so the dude reloaded? Race isn't an issue here:

Detective Gescard Isnora, center,
    [​IMG]

...but excessive force is. Those guysshould have stopped. Whether we like it or not, you don't ignore a call to halt, and then drive at the cops in a car. Those kids are only guilty of lacking common sense, but the cops are the ones who deserve punishment. I wasn't there, don't know the neighborhood, and therefore can only consider what I imagine to have been happening. 31 rounds though?
  17. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Can't say anything bad about cops in my town. They respond quickly and are pretty courteous. There are some dipsh!ts like any profession, but there's no systematic problem that I know of. I was referring to a cultural worship of cops like they're the most important members of society. They always respond to that like "Well...when you're getting beaten up at a gas station, you'll need us more than anyone". Firefighters say the same thing about when your house is on fire. Yes it's true. We need cops. We also need cable guys, nurses, ambulance drivers, roofers, plumbers.....There are no plumber-worship shows on TV that I know of.
  18. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +408 / 5 / -2

I've got a number of close friends on police forces in different places. My best friend is currently in the process of joining the BPD. I'm speaking generally when I say "cops". Also, I don't fault the individual for making $200-300k, I fault the system that allows it. Don't hate the playa, hate the game baby! :D