PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3 " How could " questions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abdul7

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Unlike many i say we played a great game and one of our best starts in a game going 10-0 up. Than came the turning points in the game , three to be exact :
1. How could we let them score a TD with under 2 mins left in the first half.?
2. How could Ghost miss that Field Goal { did he really miss it ?!! looked like the kick in the Baltimore game last year , saw the reply and sure looked he made it }
3. How could we let them make 4th and 5 with 3 mins left on the clock ?
Those were huge for us in a game i really felt comfortable watching us play. Even without Dobson and KT we had enough out there to give them a good game.
Our D has to improve especially in tackling to make it past the AFCCG.
Apart from that it was a good game , and thought we played well. 2nd seed is a must for us.
I really feel good about our chances. GO PATS

I have a hard time saying "what if" or "how could" in regards to missed field goals early in games. Yes, in theory, that would have made it a FG game at the end which the Pats could have easily kicked, but those three points early change game situations, which changes playcalling and decisions. If it was a missed FG at the very end, I'm right there with ya.

A 48-yard field goal is not even close to being a gimme', no matter who the kicker is.

How could there be such a pervading sense of pessimism about a 10-4 team, that looks likely to make the playoffs?

How could there be such a pervading sense of pessimism about a 10-4 team, that looks likely to make the playoffs?

Because they play poorly for stretches and haven't put in too many compelling performances. I'm thrilled they are ten and four and I'm a positive minded soul when it comes to the Patriots, but it's reasonable when this team looks so bad at times to, at the very least, have doubts about just how good they are.

The TD at the end of the half was UNACCEPTABLE and should not have happened. Yet alone a field goal.

And we should have called a timeout on that 4th and 5.

Let's be honest here, if at the beginning of the season someone asked you if you'd be happy with 10 - 4 if:

Wilfork out for the year
Mayo out for the year
Kelly out for the year
Gronk out for the year
Seabass out for the year
Talib missed significant time
Solder now possibly out for a while
Amendola missed significant time
Dobson missed significant time
Thompkins missed significant time
Ridely benched for a few games
Vereen missed significant time

This team is on fumes right now and I'm actually really proud that they haven't packed it in and are still competing every week. It isn't in Brady or Belichick's DNA to give up and "look to next season". This season probably won't end in a Super Bowl but even so this is going to go down as one of the teams I'm proudest of.

And we should have called a timeout on that 4th and 5.

Why would you call a timeout up 20-17 in the game with the clock ticking down and it being 4th and 5 with the other team having a stoppage in time if they don't convert, the 2 minute warning and 3 time outs?

Besides Ryan had the play sniffed out and would have at minimum slowed down Clay enough for someone else to clean up the tackle stopping him short of the first down.

To9MkEs.png

Also I know it's not called a lot but the refs missed a chop block by Clabo on McCourty on the 4th and 5

qrPz2lL.png

Also I know it's not called a lot but the refs missed a chop block by Clabo on McCourty on the 4th and 5

Isn't it only a chop block if the defender is already engaged with another blocker? Or is that just for line play?

A 48-yard field goal is not even close to being a gimme', no matter who the kicker is.

I seem to remember a Patriot making one of them to win a game in February 2002, it went right down the middle!

Isn't it only a chop block if the defender is already engaged with another blocker? Or is that just for line play?

Maybe. I could be wrong. I thought there was only a certain area where a player could cut block, which it has to be inside the tackles and no more than 5 yards away if the defended wasn't engaged with another offensive player.

Clearly that wasn't inside the tackles.

Although still my point is Ryan and McCourty possibly have that play stopped if Ryan isn't held and while it may be legal is still considered a dirty block on McCourty. I mean the guy intended to take out McCourty's knees. Luckily McCourty was heads up about it and avoided a sudden direct impact.

I'm not sure what the rules are but last season in Miami after Brady threw that pick that was meant for Hernandez, Steven Ridley got penalized for a low block on the Dolphins INT return. It actually was a bad call because it was a hip check but they do penalize the low blocks on returns. Does that apply to this situation?

I seem to remember a Patriot making one of them to win a game in February 2002, it went right down the middle!

Because if something happens once you are then guaranteed the same outcome every time you subsequently face a similar situation, right?

This team has played with as much heart as any since 2001.

Brady had 5 chances from within the 20 at the end of the game, and should have had another or two if the pass interference was called. Hooman was clearly held.
=====

Two things stood out for me.

LACK OF OFFENSE IN THE RED ZONE
On four trips, Hooman caught one (a circus catch) and was fouled on a second. Other than that, we had the Amendola almost catch. The red zone production was the clear issue in the game. We need Dobson or Thompkins back (for more production in and out fo the red zone).

The rest of the offense was excellent, especially given the injuries on the offensive line.

DEFENSE - THE SECONDARY
We need more health. Talib, Dennard and Arrington are all playing hurt. Apparently, Belichick prefers Cole to Ryan as a corner. Cole was called upon to defend against Wallace when Arrington was out.

The rest of the defense was pretty solid, especially the run defense. Yes, I understand that Hightower had an uneven day. He had lots of pluses and a big minus.

THE BOTTOM LINE
We still could get the 2nd or 3rd seed, or we could end up out of the playoffs. Given the injuries, that it a fine place to be after 14 games. (As an aside, I believe that MIA also could get the 2nd seed or be out of the playoffs, as could CIN).

Let's be honest here, if at the beginning of the season someone asked you if you'd be happy with 10 - 4 if:

Wilfork out for the year
Mayo out for the year
Kelly out for the year
Gronk out for the year
Seabass out for the year
Talib missed significant time
Solder now possibly out for a while
Amendola missed significant time
Dobson missed significant time
Thompkins missed significant time
Ridely benched for a few games
Vereen missed significant time

This team is on fumes right now and I'm actually really proud that they haven't packed it in and are still competing every week. It isn't in Brady or Belichick's DNA to give up and "look to next season". This season probably won't end in a Super Bowl but even so this is going to go down as one of the teams I'm proudest of.

Maybe. I could be wrong. I thought there was only a certain area where a player could cut block, which it has to be inside the tackles and no more than 5 yards away if the defended wasn't engaged with another offensive player.

Clearly that wasn't inside the tackles.

Although still my point is Ryan and McCourty possibly have that play stopped if Ryan isn't held and while it may be legal is still considered a dirty block on McCourty. I mean the guy intended to take out McCourty's knees. Luckily McCourty was heads up about it and avoided a sudden direct impact.

There is nothing dirty about a cut block.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down