PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3 great moves and 1 bad move ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the choice of which teams networks choose to cover where I live, I really haven't had a chance to see Welker that much, I've just read descriptions and seen his stats. So maybe someone can address this....I think one of the best things about Troy Brown was his decision making and sure hands on fielding punts, turnovers in the other team's red-zone due to botched punt handling are killers.

Does Welker excel in this area?

he has only lost 1 fumble per year since 2004 i dont know if these came on ST or offense so it does not appear that this is a problem for him

for me its the known (Welker) vs the unknown 60th pick in he draft. Remind me again how last years 2nd round pick panned out for the Pats?

Welker is a known commodity any 2nd round pick is a complete unknown. And if the $3MM per year rumors are true with a balloon payment in year 7 then $3MM per year and a 2nd rounder for Troy Brown is worth it?

Knowing what you know now about Troy Brown would you be willing to give up a 2nd rounder for him when he was entering his 4th season? I know I would.

for me its the known (Welker) vs the unknown 60th pick in he draft. Remind me again how last years 2nd round pick panned out for the Pats?

Welker is a known commodity any 2nd round pick is a complete unknown. And if the $3MM per year rumors are true with a balloon payment in year 7 then $3MM per year and a 2nd rounder for Troy Brown is worth it?

Knowing what you know now about Troy Brown would you be willing to give up a 2nd rounder for him when he was entering his 4th season? I know I would.

last years second round pick was chad jack, the jury is still out on him for some id say, and imo he could develop into a very good wr down the road. keep in mind they traded up in the secound round to get him the 60th pick is approaching the 3rd round so it seems less likely a player even like chad jackson would be available by then

he has only lost 1 fumble per year since 2004 i dont know if these came on ST or offense so it does not appear that this is a problem for him

That's one lost fumble in 156 touches last year (67 receptions and 89 kick/punt return touches).

And if the $3MM per year rumors are true with a balloon payment in year 7 then $3MM per year and a 2nd rounder for Troy Brown is worth it?.

Can I correct the record? I think I may be the source for the $3 million a year "rumor". All I did was lay out an EXAMPLE of a poison pill contract based on $3 million a year plus a huge final year that would be fictious for the Pats and guaranteed for the Fins. I have no knowledge of the Welker contract and made it clear I was just offering a hypothetical in response to someone wanting to know how a "poison-pill" works.

Now, suddenly I'm seeing people refer to my post as a "rumor" or "I hear...."

We do not know the details of the offersheet.

That's one lost fumble in 156 touches last year (67 receptions and 89 kick/punt return touches).

i think it is safe to say that fumbles are not a concern with WW, it is also worth noting that he had 9 receptions over 20 yds last year. with brady throwing him the ball id expect all of his numbers to rise especially the tds

Welker had 67 catches last year. He'll have about a $3 million cap hit for the Pats in 2007.

Mason had 68 catches last year. He'll have about a $4.4 million cap hit for the Ravens in 2007.

Fitzgerald had 69 catches last year. He'll have about a $6.4 million cap hit for the Cardinals in 2007.

LOL... did you really just compare Wes Welker to Larry Fitzgerald?

LOL... did you really just compare Wes Welker to Larry Fitzgerald?

For all practical purposes, Wes Welker did have almost as much production as Fitzgerald last year.

Obviously Fitzgerald is a top 10 receiver, but I was just making a point...

As a worst case scenerio Welker is our younger version of Troy Brown.

I think he will compete with Caldwell, and Gaffney for a starting job.

He also gives Brady another target until Jackson recovers from his injury.

Speaking of Jacksons injury it must have been arthoscopic to have it 4 days after the Colts game so I don't imagine he will be down for to long.

Look at it from this perspective........If we were to get a player like welker with our #2 draft choice, would you be happy?? Looking at most (Exception Deion) of our # 2's - I am elated.

Welker, given his production and flexibility, at 18MM - 6 years is great value.

... and to further this point, consider Welker at WR or a 2nd Round Draft WR... knowing that most rookie WRs don't have immediate production

take this point further... if you want proven production from WR, who would you prefer - Welker or Chad Jackson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back