PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3 great moves and 1 bad move ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In terms of production last season, Fitzgerald wasn't exactly head-and-shoulders above Welker.

That's because he missed 3-4 games due to injury

That's because he missed 3-4 games due to injury

I understand that. But it's not like Fitzgerald had 100 catches and Welker had 50.

The people that are arguing against this are either: A. Complete ******s, or B. Have never seen Welker play.

Let's slow down now with the Fitzgerald comparisons. To paraphrase Sam Jackson: Ballpark? It ain't even the same mother ******* sport!

Fitz is one of the top 3 WRs in the league. He missed a lot of time last here, hence limited production. But I think he had 100 catches in 05.

I like Welker. But Welker & Fitzgerald bowl on different nights.

The people that are arguing against this are either: A. Complete ******s, or B. Have never seen Welker play.

I am neither a ****** (though my exwife might disgree), nor have I not seen Welker play. What I am is a believer in NOT overpaying. If we are going to pay that much, I rather get the better receiver, and in my opinion, I think Stallworth is the better receiver. Just my opinion, but apparently opinions disagreeing with the Patrots FO moves make you ******ed. At least I know the cause of my mental handicap.

I am neither a ****** (though my exwife might disgree), nor have I not seen Welker play. What I am is a believer in NOT overpaying. If we are going to pay that much, I rather get the better receiver, and in my opinion, I think Stallworth is the better receiver. Just my opinion, but apparently opinions disagreeing with the Patrots FO moves make you ******ed. At least I know the cause of my mental handicap.

Answer this question for me:

How much are the Patriots paying for Welker?

By your own admission, you've never seen Welker play. So you look a little suspect when you say Stallworth his better?

What is this based on? Sportscenter highlights? Madden ratings? I'm not trying to be a wise ass, it just seems odd to be able to say one is better than the other without knowledge of one of them.

It's like if I've never seen the Departed, but I can say that Goodfellas is better than the Departed.

id like to know how stallworth is the better receiver he has constantly been nagged by injuries, and over his career averages about 47 receptions per season. if you think theyre going to overpay for welker do you think stallworth is going to come cheap, he will probably cost at least 5 mil per season and with that extra money you get less receptions and more injury concerns makes sense:bricks:

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I am not sold on welker, but maybe he is exactly what the pats need, then again, maybe not.

Why do we need Stallworth? HEZ FASTT!!1 That's about it. We don't need someone to get open downfield. That's NOT WHAT THE PATS' OFFENSE IS ALL ABOUT. Our offense throws short (with Brady taking a typical three step drop) and over the middle while pounding the ball up the middle to open up said pass. We systematically drive down the field. And we have never had a burner in the past five years (Branch wasn't a burner) but still managed to get it done. Welker fits the mold of a Patriot perfectly.

I'm all aboard for the Thomas, Brady & Morris moves (especially the Thomas move), but 5.5mill for Wes Welker, plus we give up a second round pick ? To me, that's a bad move.

Don't get me wrong, I love his heart, I love his versatility, but really, all he is, is a replacement for Troy Brown's versatility. Certainly not a #1 receiver type. 5.5mill and a #2 pick for a #3 receiver is just wayyyyyyy toooooo much. I like the kid, but we really need a replacement for Deion Branch, not a #3 or #4 receiver.

I much rather the Pats would have spent some free agency money on Donte Stallworth, a perfect replacement for Deion Branch, or a #2 receiver at worst case scenerio. If we wanted a Welker type, Bradon Stokely is available (cheaper and without giving up a #2 pick).

I really don't like this move, and since it's such a high offer, no way do the Dolphins match this. Wes Welker is a Patriot, not my favorite move, but I guess I have to accept it. We really need to stock up on some more receivers (need a #1 or #2 type, Welker, Gaffney, Caldwell & all our other WR's are #3's), linebackers, and defensive backs. Hopefully Jarrett or Ginn are on the Pats next year, as well as Willis or Poslunsky are on the Pats.

Good post. I agree with you. That said, I think he will contribute.

I dont get why people are comparing stallworth to branch

branch is an undersized type just like welker, stallworth is a little taller and is more of a speed/ deep threat

also brandon stokely tore his achilles so he can not be relied on to contribute anything because he is pretty much lost for the offseason just like chad jackson

branch, welker, brown are the type of wrs that thrive in the patriots offseason not stallworth:rocker:

By your own admission, you've never seen Welker play. So you look a little suspect when you say Stallworth his better?

What is this based on? Sportscenter highlights? Madden ratings? I'm not trying to be a wise ass, it just seems odd to be able to say one is better than the other without knowledge of one of them.

It's like if I've never seen the Departed, but I can say that Goodfellas is better than the Departed.

Maybe I should have worded this better, "nor have I not seen Welker play". Please read it again, it's kind of a double negative, it basically means, I HAVE seen Welker play. The Nor+Not can be very confusing, my apologies. That being said, I've seen Welker play many times, and have said several times in other threads, I LOVE his passion, and his return ability, but not the price. Sorry that I disagree with most of you, but it's my opinion.

P.S.-I've seen The Departed, and it no Goodfellas, lol. A good movie nonetheless though. IMO Goodfellas is in a league of its own, just behind The Godfather.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I should have worded this better, "nor have I not seen Welker play". Please read it again, it's kind of a double negative, it basically means, I HAVE seen Welker play. The Nor+Not can be very confusing, my apologies. That being said, I've seen Welker play many times, and have said several times in other threads, I LOVE his passion, and his return ability, but not the price. Sorry that I disagree with most of you, but it's my opinion.

P.S.-I've seen The Departed, and it no Goodfellas, lol. A good movie nonetheless though. IMO Goodfellas is in a league of its own, just behind The Godfather.

Ah ha. Ok. I thought it was odd someone would make that statment on a messageboard. :)

And yes Goodfellas >>> Departed.

Welker is a hustler and good football player. He is a young Troy Brown clone. As to the contract, keep in mind the Pats are trying to stick it to the Fins if they match the offer sheet. That last year is only guaranteed if he stays with the Fins. From what I am hearing, his contract is reasonable at $3 mil a year if he comes here. He will never see that $20 mil poison pill if he comes here. Everyone knows how this RFA theft game is played.

he's also a great punt returner who has great vision...so it'll give faulk, and brown(if he comes back) rest off of special teams

For those of you who think it's easy to find good receivers, i ask you how we ever ended up with the likes of bethel johnson, donald hayes, tony simmons, tony gaiter, david terrell, and others on our team? I would argue that the receiver position is one of the more unpredictable positions in football, so when you can get a known good receiver like welker for a 2nd round pick, I think you have to grab him.

Why do we need Stallworth? HEZ FASTT!!1 That's about it. We don't need someone to get open downfield. That's NOT WHAT THE PATS' OFFENSE IS ALL ABOUT. Our offense throws short (with Brady taking a typical three step drop) and over the middle while pounding the ball up the middle to open up said pass. We systematically drive down the field. And we have never had a burner in the past five years (Branch wasn't a burner) but still managed to get it done. Welker fits the mold of a Patriot perfectly.

Actually, bethel johnson was a burner. I think he ran like a 4.28 40 but you saw what he did for our team, so it's not necessarily a burner that we need but just someone who can play the position and get the job done.

With the choice of which teams networks choose to cover where I live, I really haven't had a chance to see Welker that much, I've just read descriptions and seen his stats. So maybe someone can address this....I think one of the best things about Troy Brown was his decision making and sure hands on fielding punts, turnovers in the other team's red-zone due to botched punt handling are killers.

Does Welker excel in this area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back